Amanda Sharpe's personal story

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MrArkham

MrArkham

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

Amanda Shape's personal story claims that if there are two open gates leading to Ryleh, she fails. But from what I can make out, the only way this could happen was if you combined the normal gate markers with the markers from The Lurker expansion, which came out after Innsmouth, the origin of the personal story cards. Is there something I am missing, or is it impossible to fail this with using gate markers from The Lurker expansion?

If so, the designers need to fix this, because this is the most blatantly broken part of Arkham Horror I've ever seen.

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

That's an interesting catch and one I wouldn't see since I've combined all of the Gates for use in the Gate Tower.  I'm surprised however, that R'lyeh is only on one Lurker-expansion Gate…hmmm

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:48 AM

Keep in mind that the Combo Gates count as a Gate to BOTH Other Worlds, so technically the R'lyss Gate IS a Gate to R'lyeh.  Combined with the Devour Gate to R'lyeh, that's enough to potentially ruin Amanda's day.

What was that noise?

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:02 AM

jgt7771,

You almost have a haiku or Arkhu of sorts.

Ominous R'lyeh

Open Gates to tortured lands

Destroy A. Sharpe's Day

The Professor

#5 MrArkham

MrArkham

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

But without gates from The Lurker expansion, it would be impossible to fail, right? If so, there is clearly something wrong with the card in it's original form.

A better fail condition is if Amanda is found in a aquatic location  whilst a gate to Ryleh is open during the upkeep phase. It would balance out her victory bonus, which makes her the best character to fight Cthulhu in the game.

#6 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

MrArkham said:

But without gates from The Lurker expansion, it would be impossible to fail, right? If so, there is clearly something wrong with the card in it's original form.

Am I missing something here? Base game comes with 16 gate tokens, has 8 OWs, so 2 gates for each OW. No need to have Lurker in the mix.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#7 MrArkham

MrArkham

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

Oh, I see: The wiki makes it look like there is only one gate marker to Ryleh, where as in reality there is two that have the exact same design. I'm a victim of misinformation caused by bad wiki editing. My bad!

Speaking of the wiki and it's slip-ups, It doesn't seem to list any enounters for the First National Grocery that come from the Miskantonic expansion. Did they really forget to add cards for this location, or has the wiki messed up again?

#8 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

I guess someone has still to add them

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#9 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

I can do you one better: if you're using the Lurker gates, it's nearly impossible for Silas Marsh to fail his story! If the R'lyeh gate opens on him, it devours him anyway. If the split gate opens on him, he can opt to go to Abyss instead. 

#10 Tbla

Tbla

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Do I see another auto-fail/success discussion coming up?

#11 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

Not for me. That's going to have to be one of those unexpected consequences I have to just live with. Someday, Silas will be forced by an encounter to go to R'lyeh—on that day, we'll all be shocked.

#12 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

Tibs said:

Not for me. That's going to have to be one of those unexpected consequences I have to just live with. Someday, Silas will be forced by an encounter to go to R'lyeh—on that day, we'll all be shocked.

It happened to me once. A dam(n) Lost Carcosa encounter. Go to R'lyeh, have an encounter and then return here. Haha. Good joke :-//

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#13 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:09 AM

"It says 'and then return here'?"

"We like to include that as a formality."

#14 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

Tibs said:

"It says 'and then return here'?"

"We like to include that as a formality."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

Well, the Fail portion of the Personal Story doesn't say "If Silas ever [enters a Gate leading to] R'lyeh" it says "If Silas ever enters R'lyeh" ~ if he has gone to R'lyeh…he's entered R'lyeh…

The Professor

#16 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

To be clear, what I meant by my "joke" is that Silas is arguing that he's supposed to "return" afterwards, to which whatever malevolent force he's conversing with replies, "no such luck homeboy."

#17 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

Sorry, Tibs ~ I was reading it too literally…again.

The Professor

#18 John Bua

John Bua

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:18 AM

What is the Gate Tower?

#19 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

John Bua said:

What is the Gate Tower?

You can look here, and if interested, you can offer your support to the Professor's majestic creations :-)

#20 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

Thank you, my dear Julia!

The Professor

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS