A funny thing happened on the way to Dunwich

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:53 PM

Pete had managed to defeat a few monsters terrorizing the citizens of Arkham, when he felt it best to hop a train bound for Dunwich. He had gotten too old to board a train that way he used to when he was younger…run alongside and hurl himself into an empty rail car. Duke appreciated the new way to travel, as well. He made it as far the train station, when a man he had seen only in passing ran up to him, requesting a dollar. Pete stared wide-eyed at the man in the tuxedo and cape - a magician, or more precisely an illusionist who had entertained around town.

Dexter thanked Pete profusely, before heading to the train bound for the strange village of Dunwich and its more peculiar environs. Fortunetly, he carried the Ruby of R'lyeh as well which moved him rather quickly along his route. Evidence of cultists and several creatures voluntarily sacrificing themselves within cosmic-created vortices had reached Arkham and prompted Dexter's immediate travel plans from the French Hills only earlier that day. He knew, based on legends told of this New England hill-country, that such stories did not bode well.

Upon reaching Dunwich, he made his way immediately to a place known as Sentinel Hill. There did he first set his gaze on the monstrosity. Beyond the ken of most humans, that known only as the Dunwich Horror looked down with its myriad eyes or those hideous protrusions which in some fashion resembled eyes. Filled with resolve to rid the earth of this being, did Dexter venture forth, spells in his mind, and a powerful Alien Device he had picked-up from Pete at the Arkham Train Station.

Elsewhere in Arkham, Gloria Goldberg had slowly and painstakingly traverse the Other Worlds and upon her return did she manage to seal three locations with the ancient mark of the Elder Sign. Meanwhile, throughout the sea-faring city of Kingsport, Jacqueline Fine made contact with many of the locals and did much to keep the fragile and currently fraying barrier between our worlds intact. Through her expertise she kept particular occurrences from happening, which allowed the Investigators additional time…a resource in very low quantity at the moment.

In one particularly nasty fight, after Pete and Duke returned from the Dreamlands, they faced a cultist bent on making them pay for sealing yet another gate, preventing Ithaqua from returning. Despite Pete's ability to fight (4) the cultist (+1) with a calvary saber (+2), the enemy avoided contact and managed to send Pete reeling to the ground and eventually seeking medical attention at St. Mary's Hospital. He knew he had been Jinxed (Injury) by that last melee, and swore-off fighting for a time.

Fortunately for all of the Investigators, Dexter, who had been seen as little more than a two-bit side-showman, truly excelled in the magical arts this day. While he suffered a loss of Sanity (-2) when first encountering the creature on Sentinel Hill, he would bring to bear an arsenal of spells and weapons, including Wither (+3), Shrivelling (+6), and the Alien Device (+2), along with his own martial ability (3). The first series of cast spells and the strange device did not yield a satisfactory result (only 3 of the necessary 5 successes), but as Dexter Drake had studied years before, becoming a marksman, his second attempt had utterly vanquished from Sentinel Hill the monstrosity known as the Dunwich Horror.

Much later, Dexter emerged from a gate on Wizard's Hill, not far from his previous battle and with the clues he had garnered during his travels and from an Old Journal he had found along the way, he sealed the sixth, and final, gate. With that last placed sigil, Ithaqua continued to stir in slumber far away from Arkham, Dunwich, and Kingsport.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:03 AM

The Professor said:

Evidence of cultists and several creatures voluntarily sacrificing themselves

I *DO* really love your style, Prof!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:00 AM

I can always count on you to read the stories, my dear.  Hope all is well and we'll chat soon.  Thanks again for taking the opportunity to read about my Investigators' latest exploits in Arkham.

The Professor

#4 Nun of your business

Nun of your business

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:55 AM

I think it's a measure of proof of the pernicious and wicked nature of dice when Pete gets his hat handed to him by a Cultist, and Drake beats up Worm-ball Whateley in the second round. :P

I've still never encountered the Dunwich Horror. Does it say something about my sanity that this makes me sad?

Thanks for sharing your adventure, Professor!

#5 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

I remember reading that the DH was designed to come out one in every three games (using DH as your only expansion, of course). It does a pretty good job in that regard; maybe you're just "unlucky."

#6 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

Tibs said:

I remember reading that the DH was designed to come out one in every three games (using DH as your only expansion, of course). It does a pretty good job in that regard; maybe you're just "unlucky."

In my last 36 Dunwich games, I had the DH hitting the board only two times… I guess it really depends on how good you are at controlling the board: since it's mostly triggered by monsters entering vortices, you cannot control it only if you have a gate sopening, spawning a fast monster moving in the very same turn on the right direction. Otherwise, you can control it. It is true that you might have all investigators scattered somewhere else, but you need three tokens for him to appear, so…

NoyB, if you want to have the DH in play, you can play with the DH Herald (IIRC - it's a long time I don't play with this Herald - it should boost a little the DH track)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#7 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:53 AM

Julia said:

I guess it really depends on how good you are at controlling the board: since it's mostly triggered by monsters entering vortices, you cannot control it only if you have a gate sopening, spawning a fast monster moving in the very same turn on the right direction. Otherwise, you can control it.

I would also like to point out that, to some degree, it also depends on how you play.  By that I mean, Julia here plays with all expansions at once.  With Arkham, Dunwich, and Innsmouth in play, your odds are much better at opening a new Gate every turn.  (Close them as fast as you can or else too many open Gates…this is Speed Arkham.)  This has a somewhat side effect of diminishing monster surges.  Sure, Wizard's Hill may pop a Gate, but once it's sealed as quickly as possible, Dunwich can get pretty sleepy while Gates have so many "elsewheres" to open.

When I play Dunwich, only Arkham is also in play, and I get surges all the time.  Any Open Gate in Dunwich will add monsters, even if all the Gate activity is down in Arkham, and it doesn't take long for them to vanish down a vortex.  Now I'm pretty good at monster control as well, but it usually involves an Investigator dedicated to policing Dunwich.  It's hard for me to remember my last three dozen Dunwich games (as they are interspersed with my Kingsport and Innsmouth games), but I'd say I've seen the Horror maybe 20% of the time.  (It's usually near enough to the endgame to attempt to ignore it and just pray it doesn't move.)

What was that noise?

#8 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

jgt7771 said:

I would also like to point out that, to some degree, it also depends on how you play.  By that I mean, Julia here plays with all expansions at once.

::laughter:: wondering why you're saying this. I've *NEVER* played all expansions at once but in the 24 games in Avi's League. I simply *hate* speed Arkham. I tend to play with two boards (one being always Kingsport) and one small card expansion at once. But anyway, at the moment I'm studying Miskatonic Horror through a series of specific games, so I can easily say this:

- set-up: AH, DH, KiY, MH
- number of games with this combo: 18
- number of times the DH awoke: 1

#9 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

jgt7771 brings up a great point ~ I happened to have only two gates open on the board at the time: Wizard's Hill and Woods, followed by two Monster Surges…that will put a damper on your ability to control things in Dunwich if you don't have anyone on duty.

The Professor

#10 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Julia said:

::laughter:: wondering why you're saying this. I've *NEVER* played all expansions at once but in the 24 games in Avi's League. I simply *hate* speed Arkham. I tend to play with two boards (one being always Kingsport) and one small card expansion at once.

Huh what who?

My most sincere apologies.  I honestly had no idea.  I guess I made too many assumptions based on Avi's League and your general…um…"bloodthirstiness" when it comes to Arkham Pain.  Somehow I auto-identified you as being over in their camp and not mine.  (I distinctly remember being excited that you would try a Kingsport-only game that one time, since I wouldn't have expected "one of THEM" to try such an "abomination".)

Geez, I feel foolish.  And thread-hijack-y.  I liked your story, Professor!  Especially since it was the highly-underestimated Dexter who did it!

What was that noise?

#11 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

jgt7771 said:

Huh what who?

My most sincere apologies.  I honestly had no idea.  I guess I made too many assumptions based on Avi's League and your general…um…"bloodthirstiness" when it comes to Arkham Pain.  Somehow I auto-identified you as being over in their camp and not mine.  (I distinctly remember being excited that you would try a Kingsport-only game that one time, since I wouldn't have expected "one of THEM" to try such an "abomination".)

::laughter:: on the one side, I'm "one of them", and by that I intend that I tend (allitteration) to play the game as a pure strategy game. No interest in roleplaying anything, and if I have to kill a character to win, no regrets in doing so. But yeah, I tend to play with KH board + another exp board, usually, and even if I push the game, I really love having encounters and so on. My games usually last 11 Mythos, and as soon as they're finished, my only thought is "ooops. Too soon. Again". Yeah, I'm a strange lady

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS