Talisman The City Expansion

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

#1 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:48 AM

Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce The City, an upcoming expansion for Talisman!

The City includes:

1 Rulebook
1 City Board
82 City Cards and 89 Other Cards
6 Character Cards and Plastic Figures 

#2 Draii

Draii

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

Guess it's better to post in this thread, now when we have some official news to speculate around =)

Spy and Tinkerer (is that the "gnome" in the fountain?

I really like the wanted-posters. Good addition.

And a lot of stores, stables and such. Good good =)

The board itself, although hard to see, looks a bit like a downer. Looks pretty linear to me. But the middle text-boxes seems a bit off, so maybe it's a double road or something.
The three guilds sounds a bit to close to the dragonlords. Hope it's not the same mechanic with them.

No extra gold coins? Hope they release a small bonus-pack with some gold, goldsacks and other extra tokens.

Nice to have some official news =)

#3 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

Draii said:

Guess it's better to post in this thread, now when we have some official news to speculate around =)

Spy and Tinkerer (is that the "gnome" in the fountain?

I really like the wanted-posters. Good addition.

And a lot of stores, stables and such. Good good =)

The board itself, although hard to see, looks a bit like a downer. Looks pretty linear to me. But the middle text-boxes seems a bit off, so maybe it's a double road or something.
The three guilds sounds a bit to close to the dragonlords. Hope it's not the same mechanic with them.

No extra gold coins? Hope they release a small bonus-pack with some gold, goldsacks and other extra tokens.

Nice to have some official news =)

Hello Draii,

I think that the gnome guy at the fountain is indeed the Tinkerer.

We also get a spy, as we already knew. It must be that guy in black clothes:)

I too like the wanted- posters.

I am very excited about this! :)

I think that the 3 guilds are the 3 alternative endings. One of them is the merchant guild:)

Now we can finally do something with all the money!

Collect 20 gold to win the game! :)

#4 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

At last some news. Very nice!

The gnome in the fountain is most certanly the Tinkerer and the man in black with the tophat must be the Spy.

Regarding gold. I think I will use the light fate tokens as 5 gold-tokens in the case of the Merchant Guild-ending. It will also be very fun using the Rouge and the Leprechaun in this ending ;)

#5 Zozimus

Zozimus

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

I think our group will end up using the Guild endings all at once:    That is, you can either get to the centre and cast the Command spell as usual, but if you get there with 20 gold, you win right away!    I'm so happy to see the Wanted posters, too.   So cool.   Sad, though, that it won't be out before Christmas!! 

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play. - Heraclitus

#6 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

Jon New from Talisman Island has upload some artwork from the City expansion on his site!

www.talismanisland.com/tour_4re.htm

I see the City gates on the City adventure cards:)

I see also a psysician, and a wart etc.

Check Talisman Island!

#7 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

Hmm, Battle Axe seems a bit OP. +3 strenght during combat!!! Really!?

But I like the pet-deck and the potions. Also nice to see some more cards that can make you attack other characters in psychic-combat.

#8 Thee Forsaken One

Thee Forsaken One

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

Draii said:

Yeah it looks linear although the article mentions being able to charter a ship to the middle region so I get the impression that it's easier to leave the city than the other extra boards, but I could be reading too much into it.

Anyway, glad to see this finally announced. It looks good and I really want to see more of this. :)

The additional cards on Talisman Island look interesting. The Battle Axe looks like a purchase card and I hope it's a very expensive one.

#9 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Nidhögg said:

Hmm, Battle Axe seems a bit OP. +3 strenght during combat!!! Really!?

But I like the pet-deck and the potions. Also nice to see some more cards that can make you attack other characters in psychic-combat.

The Battle Axe is originally the great axe.

But the great axe adds + 2 in battle and can break with a roll of 1. You may also not use a shield at the same time.

But this Battle axe from 4th edition is pretty powerful. I wonder what the price is…:):)

I like the pet deck and the potion deck too. And it are trinkets!

#10 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

I was looking at the potion deck. ( the vail of poison is a very dangerous card, and a trinket too!

If you defeat a character in battle or psychic combat and choose him to lose a  life, you may discard this potion to to force him to lose a additional life!

#11 Triple A

Triple A

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Looks promising, but I would've preferred it in time to be a Christmas gift.

#12 ninepointone

ninepointone

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

What happened to the advanced professions from 1:st edition of Talisman? Sheriff, Arch Mage, Master Thief etc? That was a really nice addition to the game.

#13 Boombastix

Boombastix

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

Yay, it was officially announced! Boo, not out until after xmas?! Btw, awesome work by Talismanisland in keeping us well informed. The new pics are great!

#14 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:26 AM

I think that the Highland will get more action, with the Merchant Guild ending.

The Highland is the place to go to, if you want to collect lot´s of gold!

I think that i will play with both Sacred Pool and Merchant Guild ending.

Then you must collect Quest Rewards, by doing Warlock Quests, and you must collect 20 gold:)

I also see the Crystal Scepter card. With that card, every character can attack another character in Psychic combat!

Cool!

#15 Thee Forsaken One

Thee Forsaken One

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

I've been looking closely at the new board and I'm fairly certain now that it is not like other expansion boards. The top two rows look like a loop and the larger bottom row are the shops. I figure that because if you look closely, each of the bottom rows has doorways leading onto the middle row.

I'll happily admit I'm wrong when better shots come up, but I am pretty certain now that is how the City board is working after several close looks.

#16 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:47 AM

Thee Forsaken One said:

I've been looking closely at the new board and I'm fairly certain now that it is not like other expansion boards. The top two rows look like a loop and the larger bottom row are the shops. I figure that because if you look closely, each of the bottom rows has doorways leading onto the middle row.

I'll happily admit I'm wrong when better shots come up, but I am pretty certain now that is how the City board is working after several close looks.

I think you are right.

If we look closely, it seems the the cell is on the corner.

The first, and the second row are streets.

You can probably enter the shops from the second row.

#17 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:26 AM

Velhart said:

I think that the Highland will get more action, with the Merchant Guild ending.

The Highland is the place to go to, if you want to collect lot´s of gold!

I think that i will play with both Sacred Pool and Merchant Guild ending.

Then you must collect Quest Rewards, by doing Warlock Quests, and you must collect 20 gold:)

I also see the Crystal Scepter card. With that card, every character can attack another character in Psychic combat!

Cool!

My eyes aren't what they used to be, but I think you're all correct. It also looks like the space(s) immediately adjacent to the City space on the main board would be the entrance; from there you can 'loop' around as you say, with the exception of the shops near the bottom.

I think that is cool to set it up that way; sure.  Along your thoughts, Velhart, I think that bounties on things like "cultists" will also make the Dragon decks more popular, as there are a number of cultists in each deck.

#18 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:09 AM

0beron said:

I think that is cool to set it up that way; sure.  Along your thoughts, Velhart, I think that bounties on things like "cultists" will also make the Dragon decks more popular, as there are a number of cultists in each deck.

Yeah, you are right.

The quickest way to find a cultist is by drawing dragon cards.

Those decks have 56 cards, so it will not take long before you can find one.

#19 Red Die Guy

Red Die Guy

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:42 AM

So excited! Arrrgh!

I parrot the comments about post-xmas release. Thats a real shame but hey, it saves Santa money in the dire world economy (he obviously can't make this game as its copyrighted and FFG/GW/whoever would have to sue him which would lose them all the kids in the worlds' respect and appreciation).

Is there any inkling on the other characters in this expansion? None of the pics on the front jump out at me as obvious what they are. Maybe Mr Top Hat is the Child Catcher? Or Fagin? Roll d6 for each character in the city at the start of your turn, on a '4+' steal one of their gold as your orhpans pick pocket them!

If anyone has yet to pick up Talisman, do so this Christmas. This game line is so well supported its brilliant.

#20 BanthaFodder

BanthaFodder

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:49 AM

I see one of the Enemies shown is a Giant Rat.

Anyone want to wager with me that I was right (see other thread) about the guy in the top hat being a Rat Catcher ??

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS