Darth Malfactor

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

Garven

Red Squad Pilot

Dutch (ion)

Gold Squad Pilot (Ion)

im thinking if they stay in formation Garven and Dutch can hand out free locks and focus as needed. Something fun to try. 

#2 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

so here are my findings, Dutch is the only reason for me to take a ywing(1v1 vs a ywing and all the tie has to do is make sure he is at 3 range most of the time and he will destroy the ywing) I enjoy the free target lock from him which makes him epic. Garven however Ive found is better on paper then he is ingame,

Garven flaws:

(26 points for a mid inititive flyer (which for the rebels high initiive can be devastating to the imperial to kill a tie fighter before it can fire at all all game)

If garven is your lowest initive pilot, then you have a problem. either he shoots and gives his gift to a buddy who has already shot (good for keeping a pilot alive) or you save it for defence, but your opponent is as smart as you and doesnt want garven to give his free gift, plus the xwing without a focus looks better too…

Rebels so far only have 2 actions (3 if you count R2F2) So Dutch uses his free target lock, and garven uses a focus, yes, garven can give his focus to dutch, however Dutch will not be able to take as much advantage for focus as an xwing.

lower inititive pilots can target lock and receive a focus from garven, however it leaves garven open to being wounded, and he is your most valuable pilot.

Maybe once the A wings come out and we get some decent low initive pilots, Garven will be worth taking, however as of right now, he is only effective with Dutch, and even that isnt enough for me to justify to bringing him. Now if we had a guy who could evade, and give someone an evade, Garven would be very under priced for what he could do, however since the rebels only have 2 options and only one defenceive option (being focus) you either have to give up his defence to boost another defence, or wait for him to be shot before your other pilot.

When I did play him, my oponent would nail him before he did anything damaging, or he wouldnt get to use his abilitiy but maybe once or twice where it actually didnt matter (eitehr roolled all hits/evade or all blanks )

one big positive note about him if you use him. Hes great for getting your opponent to focus on him before your wedge or luke with r2 (when that should of been first priority) My opponents ussually take the easiest shots over target priority

#3 Darth Malfactor

Darth Malfactor

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

I was thinking against a low iniative Tie swarm it might be fun. Lots of floating tie waiting to be picked off. I also thought about using bigs and using the extra points to give the y-wings r2 astro mechs to allow for more aggressive movement. 

#4 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

using Biggs and Garven requires a steady hand and knowledge of movement and ranges, however, it can be very effective if used right

#5 Fabster

Fabster

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:37 AM

Darth Malfactor said:

I was thinking against a low iniative Tie swarm it might be fun. Lots of floating tie waiting to be picked off. I also thought about using bigs and using the extra points to give the y-wings r2 astro mechs to allow for more aggressive movement. 

I'm Empire player but I play a lot against Vander, in my opinion R2 is not the best option for him, because you want him to target as much as possible and as often as possible so other pilots could get target as well. What is more IC lets allows him to be in firing range without performing red movements.

As for Garven, I agree that with the pilot chice it is likely that he will be the last to shoot, and he can only give focus for defensive purpose.

#6 Darth Malfactor

Darth Malfactor

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

In this list he would be one of the 1st to shoot for me as he and dutch have  an initiative of 6. I can see it being useful both offensively and defensively based on your opponents position. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS