Power tokens on Cards in play...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Locovividus

Locovividus

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

Do the power tokes that are on cards you control count toward your victory total? I assumed YES, but I'm a bit confused since the Rulebook (page 21) specifically states that for 'Infamy': "Power on a card with "Infamy" does count toward your victory total, regardless of the card's type." However, it does not say something similar for otehr things like "Renown" for example. Is it only power on Infamy cards that counts towards your total?

Also, what is the second part of the sentence referring to when it says "... regardless of the card's type", does power on some types of cards not count towards the victory total?

Lastly, I assume that if you have power (or gold for that matter) on a card in play, it all automatically goes back to the general pool when that card is removed from play.

Thanks.

#2 Purple Whisper

Purple Whisper

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:53 PM

Locovividus said:

Do the power tokes that are on cards you control count toward your victory total? I assumed YES, but I'm a bit confused since the Rulebook (page 21) specifically states that for 'Infamy': "Power on a card with "Infamy" does count toward your victory total, regardless of the card's type."However, it does not say something similar for otehr things like "Renown" for example. Is it only power on Infamy cards that counts towards your total?
Normally, only power on the house card and the characters is counted. See the rules on page 16: The game is immediately over when one player has claimed 15 or more total power between his or her House and/or characters in play. That player wins the game. The additional rules for Infamy mean that power on any card with "Infamy" also counts for your victory total, both the characters and non-characters.

Locovividus said:

Lastly, I assume that if you have power (or gold for that matter) on a card in play, it all automatically goes back to the general pool when that card is removed from play.
Yes, also on page 16: If a character leaves play for any reason, power on that character is discarded and lost (placed back in the power pool).

#3 Rozy

Rozy

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:09 PM

Yes, as Purple Whisper said the original "carriers" of power are only characters and of course your House card. So if for some reason for example a location with infamy is blanked (High Tide etc.) the power on it DOES NOT count toward your total 15 powers you need for wining the game. But if you blank a character with infamy by Milk of Poppy etc. the power DOES count toward your total power needed for win since the rules specifically says that power on characters counts.

So that is why the definition of infamy is so closely described and might seem a little confusing.

#4 Locovividus

Locovividus

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:34 AM

Thanks for your clarifications guys, I understand now (should have re-read the entirety of page 16 "Power and Victory" before asking my silly questions). Haven't played the game enough to notice that cards other than characters can also have 'infamy', so the extra ruling under infamy all makes sense now.

Cheers.

#5 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:17 AM

It's never a silly question. The answers are usually there to be found, but it's rarely as clear as "the reason Infamy is phrased this was is because...."

A lot of times, you have to synthesize information from a couple of different entries. Once someone shows you those entries, it may seem like a "duh" level question, but you'd have spent hours searching for it on your own.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS