Y-wing - Ion Cannon Auto include?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hush

Hush

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

So, I'm wanting the Y-wing to work. However, each building I make automatically has to include the ion cannon. Due to its slow nature and poor maneuver ability, coupled with the 360 firing arc of the ion cannon, it almost seems like an auto include. Has anybody gotten the Y-wing to work without the cannon? It not that I don't like the ion cannon, I would like to know any ways around this in my eye auto-include.

On a side note, I ionized a stressed tie fighter. Because a straight 1 maneuver is not a green maneuver for the TIE, it was still stressed. I ionized it two more times to take it out. Fun times…

#2 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

I just played a game today with a Y-wing without the Ion Cannon, and I can say that I did not like it.  I realized that with the limited mobility of the Y-wing, it is imperative that it be able to shoot something every round if possible.  The Y-wing tend to always have someone trying to get in behind it.  I would never again run a Y-wing without an Ion Cannon.

Roy

#3 Black2

Black2

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

Agree with Roy I do.

If you were not going to take the 360 firing arc option, then you should probably take an X-wing instead.

#4 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

Hush said:

So, I'm wanting the Y-wing to work. However, each building I make automatically has to include the ion cannon. Due to its slow nature and poor maneuver ability, coupled with the 360 firing arc of the ion cannon, it almost seems like an auto include. Has anybody gotten the Y-wing to work without the cannon? It not that I don't like the ion cannon, I would like to know any ways around this in my eye auto-include.

On a side note, I ionized a stressed tie fighter. Because a straight 1 maneuver is not a green maneuver for the TIE, it was still stressed. I ionized it two more times to take it out. Fun times…

It doesn't matter if it is on a TIE or not. The ion token doesn't force a ship to execute a 1 straight. The ship just moves 1. Read your cards more carefully. The stress token always stays until the ship can move freely.

#5 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

Black2 said:

Agree with Roy I do.

If you were not going to take the 360 firing arc option, then you should probably take an X-wing instead.

Probably? Without the turret, the Y-Wing is AWFUL. Even when attacking first, the Y-wing (costing 18 points) loses to a TIE Fighter (costing 12 points) the vast majority of battles as long as the Imperial player isn't awful. Even though I have numbers backing my assertion up, I don't like sharing specifics. 

#6 Black2

Black2

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

ShadowJak said:

Black2 said:

Agree with Roy I do.

Probably? Without the turret, the Y-Wing is AWFUL. Even when attacking first, the Y-wing (costing 18 points) loses to a TIE Fighter (costing 12 points) the vast majority of battles as long as the Imperial player isn't awful. Even though I have numbers backing my assertion up, I don't like sharing specifics. 

I don't think I would enjoy playing games with you too much ShadowJak, but I won't share specifics on why.

#7 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

Black2 said:

ShadowJak said:

Black2 said:

Agree with Roy I do.

I don't think I would enjoy playing games with you too much ShadowJak, but I won't share specifics on why.

Don't be offended. I just don't like sharing specifcs because the numbers I have are in an obtuse looking set of data tables that aren't easy to explain or even paste into these forums.

#8 Harleequin

Harleequin

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

ShadowJak said:

Black2 said:

ShadowJak said:

Black2 said:

Agree with Roy I do.

Don't be offended. I just don't like sharing specifcs because the numbers I have are in an obtuse looking set of data tables that aren't easy to explain or even paste into these forums.

First off, you're wrong. Second off, you're being pretty rude.

When he said a one straight isn't a green maneuver for the TIE Fighter, he was right. He did not say he WASN'T moving one forward, he was saying that when the TIE moved forward, it didn't remove the stress token, read forum THREADS more clearly. Furthermore, a Y-wing without an ion cannon can still be useful, Dutch Vander is a great teammate for proton torpedo teams. Free target lock for his partners? That let's his partners focus, and use their ion canons more effectively.

Don't be so sure of yourself that you need to put others down, especially when it'll come back to bite you.

#9 CappyTom

CappyTom

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

ShadowJak said:

Hush said:

It doesn't matter if it is on a TIE or not. The ion token doesn't force a ship to execute a 1 straight. The ship just moves 1. Read your cards more carefully. The stress token always stays until the ship can move freely.

The card says "straight up arrow 1white" so it is a straight 1. To show the ship is drifting with no power. And it is a white so if the pilot is stressed he stays that way.

#10 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

ShadowJak said:

Without the turret, the Y-Wing is AWFUL. Even when attacking first, the Y-wing (costing 18 points) loses to a TIE Fighter (costing 12 points) the vast majority of battles as long as the Imperial player isn't awful.

I'm pretty sure that the point values for all ships not only include their 1v1 use, but also their ability to teamplay, their possibilities as a weapon platform, and what upgrades they have available. I guess any ship that has plenty of upgrade slots will be silly to include without any upgrades - and silly to include with all upgrades, because then losing it makes too many of your points go *poof*, and you can't use all of them simultaneously. The skill in squad building is finding that optimal level of equipment.

I think a Y-Wing with two Proton Torpedoes can live without an Ion Cannon. One without Proton Torpedoes not so much, because their basic attack really is not that good.

#11 Ming31

Ming31

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

The Y wing is a bomber attack craft , the Ion cannon  is a very good tool for it and most time I have included it . If Y's are without xwing cover no ion cannon is almost a sure destroyed Y wing .

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS