Determination

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Black2

Black2

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

Card states: When you are dealt a faceup damage card with the PILOT trai, discard it immediately without resolving its effect.

Does this mean that critical hit cards with PILOT get discarded and do zero damage from that Crit damage?  That is how I read it, I just want to double check that I'm not making a mistake.

Thanks

#2 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

You are correct.  The ship takes no damage at all.

Roy

#3 Black2

Black2

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Cool. Considering 8 out of the 33 damage cards say pilot, this isn't a bad 1 point upgrade card if you are looking how to spend that last poing

#4 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

If you have an extra point at the end and have an opening in the Elite Pilot slot, then the it is not a bad addition.  However, it is very rare that a crit actually gets thru.  So, like you said, I would only add it in the situation you described.  Only if I had one more point left and had a Elite Pilot slot open.

Roy

#5 MilesD37

MilesD37

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

my buddy i played tonight jad 6 ties, and 99 points with one elite slot on a black squadron pilot, and i told him "oh just grab determination, its only 1 point" and would you know it- first round i do pne damage and one crit… and it pilot, summabeech

#6 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:37 AM

I think if it came down to having initiative or having determination, I'd drop the card for initiative any day. But that would only come up if my opponent was already at 100 and determination would bring me to 100…

#7 MilesD37

MilesD37

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:01 AM

in squad building dont you build "in secret" only revealing your squad once botb are ready?

sure i dont do this in friendly games so much… but technically… and id rather not have initiative really, with attacks  being concurrant at matching pilot skills, id rather them mover first so i can see and perform actions when they are all set

#8 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

Yes, in squad building you should definitely do it in secret.  If your opponent gets to see your squad before he finishes building his, he'll have an unfair advantage.

As for Determination, I think I would also rather have initiative.  Determination just seems to be based too much on luck of the draw.  I know there are exceptions, but for the most part, when playing in 100 pt games I'm lucky to see 3 or 4 total critical hits on both sides that actually cause a card to be flipped (not cancelled out by evade dice or absorbed by shields).  I'm not one for running the odds, but if I'm right thats about 12% of the damage deck that gets flipped face up.  I think about 1/4 of the damage deck are Pilot Damage cards which means that maybe 1 flipped damage card per match will be a Pilot Damage card. I don't even want to try to work out the odds on how likely that one Pilot Damage card will end up on the ship with Determination.  What do you think?

Roy

#9 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

drkjedi35 said:

Yes, in squad building you should definitely do it in secret.  If your opponent gets to see your squad before he finishes building his, he'll have an unfair advantage.

As for Determination, I think I would also rather have initiative.  Determination just seems to be based too much on luck of the draw.  I know there are exceptions, but for the most part, when playing in 100 pt games I'm lucky to see 3 or 4 total critical hits on both sides that actually cause a card to be flipped (not cancelled out by evade dice or absorbed by shields).  I'm not one for running the odds, but if I'm right thats about 12% of the damage deck that gets flipped face up.  I think about 1/4 of the damage deck are Pilot Damage cards which means that maybe 1 flipped damage card per match will be a Pilot Damage card. I don't even want to try to work out the odds on how likely that one Pilot Damage card will end up on the ship with Determination.  What do you think?

Roy

I've pretty much ignored Determination for the same reasons as Roy.  I think I've seen a Pilot Crit once or twice in my games so far, which makes it just not seem worth it.  If I had a spare 1 point I'd rather have Initiative or upgrade an Astromech to a named version.  Determination isn't even on the radar for me.

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s,10 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 4 Phantoms

#10 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

I actually played exactly one game using Determination.  I put it on 2 ships, and I did get to cancel one damage which would have killed Wedge.  I can't say that it wasn't fun telling my opponent that Wedge lives on.  I'm one of those guys who has to try out every card at least once.  That was about 3 or 4 weeks ago.  I've since played many more games and have a better feel for what is worth it and what is not.  I just can't see a situation where Determination would be worth it.

Roy

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS