Pilot Skill

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

How often does it seem to matter in the games you play? Do you like having high or low pilot skill? Do you take it into consideration at all or do you just build around stats and abilities?

#2 Harleequin

Harleequin

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

It matters a lot. Having a higher pilot skill, or the same but with initiative means attacking first. When you attack first you have the chance to destroy their ship, and nullify an attack for that phase. For example, if I have 4 Level 6 tie Fighters, and my opponent has 6 level 4 X - wings, (just an example don't even think this scenerio can happen) I will attack first, and I can target down one of his X-wings, and probably kill it. However, if he has a level 4, a 6, and I have a 5 and a 7, then its way more balanced, he'll probably hit me with some damage, and I'll hit him with some damage, someone might die, but most people will get to attack.

#3 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

Harleequin said:

It matters a lot. Having a higher pilot skill, or the same but with initiative means attacking first. When you attack first you have the chance to destroy their ship, and nullify an attack for that phase. For example, if I have 4 Level 6 tie Fighters, and my opponent has 6 level 4 X - wings, (just an example don't even think this scenerio can happen) I will attack first, and I can target down one of his X-wings, and probably kill it. However, if he has a level 4, a 6, and I have a 5 and a 7, then its way more balanced, he'll probably hit me with some damage, and I'll hit him with some damage, someone might die, but most people will get to attack.

Yeah, all that is in the rule book. I'm in the process of doing in depth statistical analysis of the game and various match ups but am wondering how powerful pilot skill really is beyond getting one additional attack because the skill also has a strong effect on the move phase. 

For example, the upcoming TIE Interceptor looks like it  will cost 19 points for the generic 1 skill pilot. I'd like to contrast this with Mauler Mithel who costs 17 points for a pilot skill of 7 but also has a lower attack value at ranges longer than 1. The question gets more interesting with pilots like the Black Squadron Pilot whose extra benefit is mostly an increased pilot skill.

#4 sejestephan

sejestephan

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

It matters. Wedge will likely hit first and with marksmanship he'll take out a TIE before it retaliates.

however I think that they made some really odd decisions on pilot skill though, from a fluff point of view. I can appreciate that Vaders skill is 9 (even though he flies like a chumb in the first movie, what is going on with that analog targetting computer he's running and how exactly does he get blindsided by a freighter?) but lets just stick with the "can see the future and is therefore the best pilot in the galaxy" thesis. How exactly is Wedge at the same skill?

it becomes even more absurd with the new expansion, it looks like Han has got 9, which I can appreciate since he "knows a few maneuvres" but Boba Fett looks like he's got 8. 8?! Thats the same skill as Luke! No way Boba is as good a pilot as Luke, he never gets into any dogfights in the movies, so the closest to determine his skills behind the wheel we have is Jango fighting Obi-Wan, which he wins just barely and remember Obi says, on several occations that he hates to fly. 

My opinion would be

Vader: 9

Han: 9

Luke: 8

Wedge: 8

Fett: 6

just saying it seems like FFG haven't really considered the actual skills of the pilots from a fluff perspective. And once again WHY is the TIE/in faster than an x-wing :)

#5 Metheldas

Metheldas

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

sejestephan said:

[…]just saying it seems like FFG haven't really considered the actual skills of the pilots from a fluff perspective. And once again WHY is the TIE/in faster than an x-wing :)

I'd you only look at one side of the coin. If you have a deeper look at vater - he was simply distracted by the one, who is strong in the force. It's just a movie, but that scene surprisingly does make sense to me. And although Boba and Jango may genetically be identical, they made different experiences and so it seems quite possible for me, Boba is actually a better pilot than Jango. Someone who's into the EU may know that better than me.

But to your question about X-Wing vs. TIE/ln: Although they may have the same speed on paper, the TIe excels in maneuverability and acceleration. So he's not really faster, but if you take into consideration that you don't fly a straight line in a dogfight, but have to fly evades and maneuvers all the time, than it seems quite possible that a TIE flys a larger distance in the same time an X-wing does.

It's just a game in a fictional world with fictional physics, but in terms of implementation it seems quite plausible to me, though it might not be perfect.

#6 AlKusanagi

AlKusanagi

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

Wedge should be a 10. He is THE end all be all of pilots. It always annoyed the hell out of me how the various RPGs and such would give Luke insane piloting skills when they were almost never backed up by any EU material, whereas Wedge has entire comic and novel series dedicated to his badassery.

#7 Sheriff288

Sheriff288

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

AlKusanagi said:

…whereas Wedge has entire comic and novel series dedicated to his badassery.

+1

#8 Thunder_Chicken

Thunder_Chicken

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

The same could be said for Maarek Stele.  I'm going off of memory here, but his skill is 7 correct?  I would bump it up to 8, considering that he was often the first pick to fly prototypes such as the Advanced and Defender, not to mention his impressive tours of duty in standard craft.  Of course I am biased though, haha.

#9 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

I would say that skill matters a ton, not just because you get to shoot first, but also getting to move second is a big deal.  I didn't think it would be before I played because every one's movement is already determined, but there actions are not.  Knowing that you are in perfect position to fire you Proton Torpedoes, or Concussion missiles, and so you use your target lock can be huge.  Even bigger deal is being able to side-step out of someone's firing arc with barrel roll because you know exactly where they will be.

As important as skill is, it is just a comparison, better skill is better, but it doesn't matter how much better.  My first games at the tournament at GenCon I took a bunch of Obsidian and Black Squadron Pilots.  If your opponent's lowest skill is 6 (most named pilots are at least 6) then you skill of 5 might as well be a 1.  for that reason when I am going to take non-named pilots I almost always take Academy Pilots.

Don't forget about Swarm Tactics.  I usually give it to Vader and Howlerunner.  It only effects shooting, but it is cool, when your 12 point academy pilot get's to shoot before Wedge.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#10 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:49 AM

Skill of medium-skilled pilots (say, 3-5) makes a difference in the case of fielding a Rebel swarm against an Imperial one.

I played what for us was a big game of 110 points so that I could try out all my models at once. I had to use all unnamed Rebel pilots with lower skills, but the turn order became significant again that way.

Incidentally, this was 5 TIEs, 1 TIE advanced, versus 3 X-wings and 2 Y-wings. The Rebels coasted to an easy victory, though the Imperials were a team of my two young boys. They are pretty good players though. They decimated me with a 5-TIE swarm in a 66 point game yesterday, where I ran two Y-wings alone. This is a fun challenge, but not a competitive match-up, in case you are wondering. I want to try two Y-wings against two TIE advanced and see if I can make that competitive at around 65 points.

Be seeing you.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS