Photo

What's the fastest way to become a Witch Hunter?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

What's the fastest way to become a witch hunter?  How many advances?

jh

#2 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

It would depend on whether you use various optional rules.

If you don't allow players to start "intermediate" but require a "basic" career first, then you have to advance all the way through a basic career.

If you don't use that rule, then there is the rule that a permanent insanity can be taken at character creation by buying the Insanity card as if it were a Talent (see page 7 of the FAQ).  So a character can start out as Witch Hunter at character creation in that case.

#3 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

If you have to start with a basic career, you could start as a Reiklander Zealot. That way you just complete Zealot (10 advances), and change career for free (three matching traits and the reiklander ability).

You could easily igonre dedication, as the Zealot ability requires you to have insanity slots on your career card and you would not be able to use it in the witch hunter career. If you start with the maximum amount of skills you do not loose that many specializations by failing to dedicate your career.

So, 10 experience points.

#4 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:58 AM

It's not required to complete a basic career however correct?  How long before a zealot could switch?

jh

#5 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:05 AM

The Witch Hunter requirement alternative of zealot is "completed career", so I would say you must have spent 10 advances as outlined above and yes if Reiklander then can transition for free.  Using the character sheet as guide, you must have checked all of the "General Career Advance" boxes and have handled the "Career Completion" section.

Now there is a reference on page 46 of Player's Guide that "fully completed" means taking dedication bonus.  However the FAQ page 3 says completing the General Advances section means you have "effectively completed" the career and views the dediction bonus as something you "unlock" by completing career.  So 10 advances.

#6 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:03 AM

That's right.  Advanced career transition can't occur until rank 2.

Is there a limit to Intermediate careers?  How fast could a person get to "Investigator" for example?

jh

#7 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:20 AM

The core rules don't place any restrictions on transitioning to intermediate career, only advanced.

By core, you start "basic" (random or other method) (PG page 34), you transition from that whenever you like (as fast as 2nd session) and can go intermediate if you like but must be Rank 2 to go advanced (PG page 47).

HOWEVER, in one of those "geez a good editor would have been nice" things "intermediate" trait careers are "Advanced careers" for this purpose (e.g., see the career listings in Appendix One).

The optional rule in Hero's Call is to map basic, intermediate, advanced to Rank 1, 2, 3 and so on.

So I'm wrong above.

You can't start as a Witch Hunter, you do have to complete a career so minimum 10 advances to be Rank 2 and have completed a career, then whatever transition costs.

#8 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:04 AM

Alright, I've got my book now:

Investigator traits:  Academic, Basic (Intermediate), Rogue, Urban

I'm seeing the following being closest:

(2 of 4) Forger, gambler, agitator, envoy, smuggler, student, and thief.

Ironically, Watchman, is only 1 of 4.

So you could have an investigator (or assassin, I think in comparison), at 2 x.p.

I'm going to have to look into this some more ;)

jh

#9 Karma Kollapse

Karma Kollapse

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

Do you not need to complete the basic career advances before you can change career without completing it? Or was that a rule I made up in my head?

#10 willmanx

willmanx

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

Karma Kollapse said:

Do you not need to complete the basic career advances before you can change career without completing it? Or was that a rule I made up in my head?

No, you just need to access rank 2 (10 xp) to change to an advanced career (logically intermediate). You can change anytime for another basic career. 

Completing career advance authorize you to buy Dedication Bonus so as to keep your current career ability and gain a free specialization in every skill you trained during your current career.

Moreover, completing your career reduce the cost of the transition to the next career by 1

#11 Karma Kollapse

Karma Kollapse

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:27 AM

willmanx said:

Karma Kollapse said:

No, you just need to access rank 2 (10 xp) to change to an advanced career (logically intermediate). You can change anytime for another basic career. 

Completing career advance authorize you to buy Dedication Bonus so as to keep your current career ability and gain a free specialization in every skill you trained during your current career.

Moreover, completing your career reduce the cost of the transition to the next career by 1

That wasn't what I was asking - I knew all the above :) I meant, if I was saying an Agitator and wanted to move to Thief (which has the same traits) as soon as possible, can I do so with my very first advance, or do I have to complete the first four basic advances (skill+talent+wound+action) before doing any sort of transition? I'm sure you had to do the four basic, but I might have just made up the rule in my head thinking it was a cool rule to have, and just went with it.

#12 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:20 AM

Karma Kollapse said:

That wasn't what I was asking - I knew all the above :) I meant, if I was saying an Agitator and wanted to move to Thief (which has the same traits) as soon as possible, can I do so with my very first advance, or do I have to complete the first four basic advances (skill+talent+wound+action) before doing any sort of transition? I'm sure you had to do the four basic, but I might have just made up the rule in my head thinking it was a cool rule to have, and just went with it.

There is no rule saying something like this, although in the player's guide they suggested that in order to avoid Reiklanders jumping from profession to profession, a minimum of 4 spent advances before changing career is a wise limitation.

I guess this suggestion is to avoid Reiklander characters to jump for free from different careers and start accumulating fortune dice in characteristics.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#13 Karma Kollapse

Karma Kollapse

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

Yepesnopes said:

Karma Kollapse said:

There is no rule saying something like this, although in the player's guide they suggested that in order to avoid Reiklanders jumping from profession to profession, a minimum of 4 spent advances before changing career is a wise limitation.

I guess this suggestion is to avoid Reiklander characters to jump for free from different careers and start accumulating fortune dice in characteristics.

That's the one - sure it said thing about four basic, but looks like I did make that up after all :) Thanks for the clarification.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS