Photo

Custom Paint Jobs: X-wings Red 2, 3 & 5, Y-Wings Gold 1 & 2 (with Turrets!)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 crimzonteerz

crimzonteerz

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

Geek level 10 has been acheived! haha

I use to paint a little back in the day and this X-Wing game has re-awakened the old hobby juices. Sadly more than HALF of my GW paints have dried out though! !  :(

I was inspired by this guy's great repaint of Red 5 found here:

http://buckaroo13.bl...ting-red-5.html

And so I said to myself, I could do that, and it would look so cool on the table. I gave it a shot, let me know what you think. I painted Luke, Biggs and Wedge. I researched how each fighter actually looked using google image search and, learned quite a lot about the X-wings used in Star Wars IV (like the difference between Piro Models and Hero Models).

Another thing that really bugged me was the lack of Ion cannons on the Y-Wings. So I came up with a good solution. I took some Epic Eldar Guardians and chopped off their guns. I then used Epoxy Glue and tweezers to glue them onto the Y-Wings. After a night of drying I painted them up. They looked great, so I was really happy with that.

I touched up the yellow and grey on the Y-Wings in places and gave some extra damage in spots. I also painted the brass piping as seen in the Y-Wing models. Generally I'm happy with the paint jobs and might go back and add some details, especially on the Y-Wings, but I thought I'd share these guys with you all as they are now. Hope you enjoy the pics.

For those interested, here are the paints I used:

Ship Colour - Komando Khaki and a little bit of Rotting Flesh

Cockpits - Elf Grey

Red on X-Wing - Blood Red

Replacement Panels on X-Wings - Golden Yellow

Used Black Ink to edge parts of panels, cockpits

Y-Wing Piping - Dwarf Bronze

Y-Wing Yellows - used Golden Yellow to darken areas, sunburst to highlight

Y-Wing Turrets - Painted them with Komando Khaki and Rotting flesh mix. The applied a light wash of black ink. Then highlighted again the edges with the Komando Khaki and Rotting flesh mix.

Wedge Red 2, Biggs Red 3 and Luke Red 5

Luke Skywalker close up. I even painted R2-D2. Love that little guy :)

I dabbed a little bit of purple/pink in the engines. You can't really see it well here though.

Red 5 top view

Biggs Red 3 and his little R2 buddy. Notice the black outlines on some of the panels help bring them out.

Wedge, Red 2, the best Rebel fighter pilot in the game

Y-Wings Gold 1 and Gold 2

I added 3 "eyes" to this R5 astromech.

I touched up some of the yellow and added damage paint chips.

A Group shot. I feel like I can take on the whole Empire myself with these little guys!

• Duraham, jme, Filthy Pierre and 3 others like this

#2 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Nice job! It must take a really steady hand, or the Force perhaps to paint that. 

Be seeing you.

#3 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

These look excellent.

#4 Harleequin

Harleequin

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

Wow absolutely stunning, what did you use for the turrets?

#5 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

I am in awe.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#6 JustinKase

JustinKase

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

I think I just had an eye-gasm…..

#7 Ming31

Ming31

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

I am off to my paint desk   thanks

#8 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Fantastic work.  Thank you for showing us those turds can be polished up quite well!

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook.com/groups/swgon/ Star Wars Gaming Ontario formerly known as Star Wars Miniatures Toronto

#9 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:24 AM

Nicely done!  Thanks for sharing the pics.

#10 Buckaroo

Buckaroo

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

Those are great, I think you exceeded my humble efforts!

Buckaroo

#11 ironman

ironman

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:57 AM

really good thanks for showing

#12 just_chris

just_chris

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:36 AM

Love your work mate! I've just started on doing custom paint jobs for my models too (I come from a 40k background), and your improvements are most inspiring!

Thanks for sharing.

"Guns don't kill people. Darth Vader choking the lack-of-faith out of you kills people."

- Forum User Mikael Hasselstein

#13 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:40 AM

Superb job! Just one question: do those yellow colors show up on the movie? I know they are in many of the references, but I haven't been able to pick out any of the yellow when the ships are on screen. Am I the only one with this problem?

• Filthy Pierre likes this

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#14 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:22 AM

Ming31 said:

I am off to my paint desk   thanks

I concur! Great paint and very inspiring! I'd been talking myself out of re-painting, but seeing these pics is just too much. The Necrons are gonna have to take a backseat for a few weeks. :) 

Also, I've had decent results thinning old, dried-out pots of paint with Tamiya Acrylic Thinner (X-20 or something experimental sounding like that). I originally bought it to thin the GW paint I was shooting through my airbrush, but turns out it's good for resurrecting old paint as well. Put in a few drops, mix it up, shake it, check consistency, repeat as necessary. I also add some kind of small hard media (tiny rocks, BBs, very small coins, etc.) if the paint's REALLY old. Works a treat. 

#15 gabe69velasquez

gabe69velasquez

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:34 AM

Best Y-wing paint job I've seen, very inspirational.

Spoiler

Spoiler

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS