Chessex dice FAIL: now what for dice?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

Chessex has been around a long time, so I went to their website as suggested and waded through the totally antiquated system, wrote a couple emails and generated an order form in longhand because they don't even have that; sent a check and three weeks later it was returned because they don't have anything remotely like what was listed/ordered in stock, and so can't fill the order.

So, NOW what? I don't know as I want to use typical dice because I reckoned the stickies wouldn't remain well on top of big, beveled-out numerals. What are y'all using? Any other (actually professional) sources for blank dice of the types we need?

#2 darkrose50

darkrose50

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

Try here . . .

http://paizo.com/pro...nk-d8-Bag-of-10

. . . however they are ordered from either a distributor or from chessex directly . . .

and this seems to be taking FOREVER!

#3 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

Could you, er, fill the numeral dips in a regular dice with 'green stuff'/milliput/epoxy putty?

http://www.games-wor...Id=prod1380024a

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B001OBBTO0

#4 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

I, er, suppose, but that would take, er, a huge long time and exorbitant amount of work sanding fourteen multi-faceted dice to get a smooth surface. There's got to be some reasonable, easier way. Mind, I know the Beginner Box is coming, but it isn't here yet and I also hate to waste such a nicely-prepared sticker sheet!

#5 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

Green stuff doesn't change volume as it sets, and you can work it as it hardens, so you wouldn't need to sand anything. Just smooth it off before it hardens fully.

I have, however, filled a lot of gaps in minis over the years, so my tolerance for doing things like that may be greater than normal.

#6 Cyril

Cyril

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

IG-58 said:

I, er, suppose, but that would take, er, a huge long time and exorbitant amount of work sanding fourteen multi-faceted dice to get a smooth surface. There's got to be some reasonable, easier way. Mind, I know the Beginner Box is coming, but it isn't here yet and I also hate to waste such a nicely-prepared sticker sheet!

I have had very few issues with my set of stickers on regular dice.

#7 IronStar23

IronStar23

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

+1 with Cyril. I haven't has any issues with regular dice. I'd only suggest that you use the "regular" d6's for your dice and the rounded chessex ones seem like a bad fit.

#8 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

A few notes from my experience:

• Get dice LARGER then the stickers. If you get 16mm the stickers go right to the edge and may even stick off some making it easy for them to come off.
  • Spraying modeling clear coat over the stickers didn't work for me. I sprayed multiple coats and the stickers are still wanting to come off without any use at all. I'm next going to try finger nail polish over them all.

#9 Boehm

Boehm

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

We found simply having 3 phones with the dice app worked fine for our group of 5 players + gm - who needs dice now :)

#10 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

Or trim the stickers down before laying them on the faces of the die.

I was bored, so I wrote my own app. runs anywhere that perl does and only took me about an hour to mockup. Looks like crap, but I don't need sound effects and 3d visuals of dice rolling to get a result. So, it returns a result nearly instantaneously.

#11 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Sturn said:

• Get dice LARGER then the stickers. If you get 16mm the stickers go right to the edge and may even stick off some making it easy for them to come off.
  • Spraying modeling clear coat over the stickers didn't work for me. I sprayed multiple coats and the stickers are still wanting to come off without any use at all. I'm next going to try finger nail polish over them all.

I DO know from modelling experience that I would definitely make sure I washed any dice first in a mild detergent solution (Dawn is fine) to remove the casting gloob from the plastic before any efforts at applying stickers. The molds all have an oily releasing agent to prevent them from bonding with the product.

#12 Corradus

Corradus

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

Kallabecca said:

Or trim the stickers down before laying them on the faces of the die.

I was bored, so I wrote my own app. runs anywhere that perl does and only took me about an hour to mockup. Looks like crap, but I don't need sound effects and 3d visuals of dice rolling to get a result. So, it returns a result nearly instantaneously.

u

Your App looks wonderful.  Doesn't do much for us on Youtube though.

Lobby FFG for a Windows platform compatible App is my advice to the O.P.

#13 CharlieBananas

CharlieBananas

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:46 AM

Sturn said:

I used regular dice with glossy sticky backed photo paper ( I wanted to keep the sticker in the book), and then covered them with water based artist seal, then a top coat of nail varnish, they appear extremely sturdy.

#14 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

Unfortunately, I doubt FFG will be able to release an official dice roller for the PC or Mac. If their license is the same as the one for WotC was, they are very restricted in their ability to release computer programs associated with the Star Wars license. Even PDF versions of the books are restricted. I'm surprised the app even got approved.

But if they were to release a generic, dice roller without any Star Wars skinning on it, that might work…

#15 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

I guess I'm old-school, but I want to FEEL them. Talk to them. Bounce them around in my hand until it feels right, and let 'em go just so. Computer app??! Don't think so.   :D

#16 AMonkeyWithAFez

AMonkeyWithAFez

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:00 AM

Try supergluing the stickers to a die.  The superglue should fill into the number groove and provide extra stick to the sticker, then do as others have said, clear coat nail polish or spry clear coat.  That should do the trick…

p.s. please post if you can, the images of your hands with stickers and dice semi-permanently stuck to your fingers, this forum needs a laugh.

"So the combination is... one, two, three, four, five? That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!"

"That's amazing. I've got the same combination on my luggage."

#17 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:10 AM

Superglue gel is actually sound advice… if it's an Epic Fail I'll honor your request!

#18 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

I hated that using stickers always "Sounds and Feels" wrong. No proper dice sound.

I bought the Chessex dice on Paizo's site someone mentioned and made my own simplified symbols.

#19 Armenius Orson Carrick

Armenius Orson Carrick

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

I think that FF needs to release the individual dice sets at the same time as they release the Beginner's Box. Obviously they will have had to make the dice to go in the box by that stage, so we know they'll be available. If, however, it's anything like WFRP3 (it is) then the dice you get in the box will be nowhere near enough for smooth play at the table. Handing around one set of dice among everyone swiftly becomes nightmarish. I've had a look around, but I haven't seen if this is their intention. Does anyone have any info on this (ie, a release date on the stand-alone dice set)?

#20 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

Well, given what the rules state about the numbers of dice needed, a full set would be about $60 worth of dice (42 dice at around $1.50@). So, if you have 5 players and a GM, that's about $10 for each person and gives the group one full set of all the dice needed.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS