Where is the new set?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:40 AM

This is lull is ridiculous…primarily (if not entirely) because FF is playing a marketing game, dancing around the dates of the upcoming Hobbit movie release. It's so stupid. FF, don't just change up the release times and format of releasing cards, don't you realize that if you released cards right now, they would be selling, and that the more you stave it off, the more players like myself become bitter, resentful, and uninterested in supporting your community? 

#2 ArachneJericho

ArachneJericho

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:53 AM

I sent them email about the expansion not showing up in the Upcoming page, which kind of worries me. 

#3 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:13 AM

I am worried about delays. There is just so much stuff to be previewed and "newsed" about, Hobbit, HoN, AtS announcement.

#4 John85

John85

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:17 AM

lleimmoen said:

I am worried about delays. There is just so much stuff to be previewed and "newsed" about, Hobbit, HoN, AtS announcement.

I wouldn't even thin about AtS until we see more on HoN. I'm betting we get something today or Monday next week (since later next week is Arkham Nights). If we don't see anything by next Tuesday, I won't expect ANYTHING until 16 or 17 Oct.

#5 John85

John85

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:20 AM

I just looked on the page and saw HoN was "At the Printer" and TH:OtD was "In Development", which more or less clears up in my mind which will be out first (although I suppose publication order has been announced several times I keep forgetting what it is). Other games in this stage have had similar amounts of preview material, so I wouldn't expect that we're getting screwed, I think FFG is maybe just trying to space news and build anticipation. Both expansions are still "Expected Q4 2012", so that's a good sign.

#6 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:47 AM

it is annoying, and i would love to see it (anything) out in the next 3 weeks (i need about an extra month for it to get to UK before my birthday…)

but i dont see any reason to be concerned- there was all the doomsaying last time the news didnt come out- then they released the most awesome looking cycle yet

its just a mixture of arseing about with the hobbit film, and not having the news as a high enough priority- which is a shame as its driving off alot of frequent users of this forum- i mean in their eyes theres little reason to come to this forum when its not as active as the others and there isnt even the previews

this is a living card game afterall………..

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#7 Cunir

Cunir

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

i think they should stick with a regular release cycle, because as soon as people get out of the habit of buying these things every month, they inevitably start to play less and lose track of the releases, and eventually they just think, why am i bothering? the weekly news was the only thing that kept my interest up, but now that seems to have dried up as well, i'm actually starting to look at other games which is a shame, because i would be happy to buy the stuff if they released it

releasing stuff slowly will be a killer for this game, i reckon, especially because there's no tournament play. they need to keep people playing it

#8 Moses2813

Moses2813

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

I join you all in hoping that the news of the Q4 releases come soon. 

I have expected that the release of Numenor would be sometime in November with the second Hobbit coming in time for it to be under the Christmas tree.  Then, ATS would start in January or February.  I have noticed that FFG have a number of products listed as Q4.  They are probably working their tails off getting things ready for the holiday season. 

In the meantime, I have been hacking my way through some of the Saga/Hobbit, Mirkwood and Dwarrowdelf quests with different styles of decks.  Can't wait for the movie.  All in all, we are going to have a fun holiday season with this game.

#9 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Come on now! FFG had to get X-Wing and Netrunner released. And SWLCG is on the horizon! ;)

#10 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

qwertyuiop said:

Come on now! FFG had to get X-Wing and Netrunner released. And SWLCG is on the horizon! ;)

i would say what i think about those games compared to this….but i feel people know me enough to fill in the blanks…..ffg- make this game a higher priority! prof. tolkien needs more love!

#11 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

richsabre said:

qwertyuiop said:

i would say what i think about those games compared to this….but i feel people know me enough to fill in the blanks…..ffg- make this game a higher priority! prof. tolkien needs more love!

no kidding

#12 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

richsabre said:

qwertyuiop said:

I completely agree. I mean, ffg seems to be releasing new games like, what, every ******** month, and they just abandon previous games when they've been on the market for a little less than two years; and not just some random board game, but (supposedly) strong, long-lasting, "main" living card games . 

Hope you're reading this ffg, get it together. I think you're trying to grasp way more than what you can. 

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#13 Moses2813

Moses2813

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

Geez, let's see what we got this year.  If we get the two products promised in Q4.

1. Dwarowdelf cycle. 

2. Two Hobbit Saga Expansions

3. Heirs of Numenor expansion

4. Battle of Laketown quest.

Seems to me that FFG has been fairly good to us this year! Lighten up will ya!

#14 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

Moses2813 said:

Geez, let's see what we got this year.  If we get the two products promised in Q4.

1. Dwarowdelf cycle. 

2. Two Hobbit Saga Expansions

3. Heirs of Numenor expansion

4. Battle of Laketown quest.

Seems to me that FFG has been fairly good to us this year! Lighten up will ya!

Ya, I agree with it. It had mostly to do with the lack of news/updates, not so much about releases, thought that too. Thing is, the reason why they're "forgetting" about this game is pretty much because, as someone else said, the fact that they're busy with X-wing, Netrunner and whatnot, which is why I criticized that.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#15 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:42 AM

indeed- im on the same lines of thinking as Gizlivadi, i think its great what we have so far, but the lack of input from ffg's end is annoying, mosty given the reasons for said lack of input (assuming its correct of course)

now while i recognise star wars and others as epic in their own way, i dont think anyone here would disagree when i say the FFG have been given a great privalige to create this game, and we have been given a great privalige to play it. if it gets ****ed up before. let's say the first 5 years, i will for one be very dissapointed, especially given the enormity of what we're dealing with here……perhaps im just deluded (can anyone tell me how long GOT and so on has been running?)

to contradict myself for a moment, i would actually prefer quite and nothing from them for this period if it meant we got an amazing product released at the end of the year- which im sure Hiers of Numenor will be

anways- i dont want this to sound like a moan at the designers, as it certainly is not…..i just think all th above applies more than anything to LOTR, and given its fan base (an extremely populated fan base)  it would be a huge waste if this game died due to lack of interest at the design level

rich

#16 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

As probably many others, I have been around board or card games for these past two decades, and of them all this is without a second of doubt my most favourite. And for that I applaud. At the same time, I wish it gets a continuous and best possible treatment because the promise is so remarkable, the privilage has indeed been given, and the Tolkien's universe together with its fans deserve it.

#17 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

I've been away from the game for a while, but it doesn't seem like that long since a new product was released. BUT! If HoN isn't out by the first week of November, some griping might be warranted. I don't know how many of you were around for the initial release, and the gaps between the core set and Mirkwood Cycle…now that was a pain.

#18 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

qwertyuiop said:

I've been away from the game for a while, but it doesn't seem like that long since a new product was released. BUT! If HoN isn't out by the first week of November, some griping might be warranted. I don't know how many of you were around for the initial release, and the gaps between the core set and Mirkwood Cycle…now that was a pain.

Yeah, I was around and the wait was long. I am not too worried about waiting though, I am more worried about the lack of things going on in the meantime. I also don't want all cards spoilt before the release - three or four player card - one a week is perfectly fine with me. But I think they're great to keep the conversation going. They used to be anyways. Even the previews without them like the last one are awesome. It's just sad if the board's dead. Maybe I should be happy because I don't "waste" nearly as much time hear as I used to and instead of once or twice a day I post once or twice a fortnight. But I very much want to see this game going on and on.

#19 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

It's true that the length of time between news posts has suddenly become alarmingly increased, but I've not really been expecting all that much for a while now. I had kinda thought the PoD version of Lake-town would have been announced by now, don't get me wrong, but I was surprised with them having two releases in Q4, so I'm just going along with it. 

There does seem to be quite a lot of fatalism here recently, the idea of no news meaning the game is dying. Doesn't seem so long ago since all the doom-and-gloom of "no cycle announced post-Hobbit means they're pulling the plug" posts were doing the rounds. A Game of Thrones and Call of Cthulhu have been going for what, four years each as LCGs now, and gone are the days of 'Card of the Week' posts for them, but the chapter packs keep on coming, even if the asylum packs have fallen by the wayside now. 

As someone who came to FFG games largely because they had the Star Wars licence, unless you count my Runebound  fixation, I've been avidly awaiting the SW LCG for the past 14 months, and that's 14 months with precisely three news announcements. So I'm not overly worried about a gap of what, almost three weeks now? 

Let's just hope Heirs doesn't go the way of Khazad-dum, and we end up waiting all over xmas and new year for the thing to arrive… 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#20 Moses2813

Moses2813

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

I do get each posters concern.  However, I have seen nothing from FFG's  performance this year to warrant the worry that the game is going to be abandoned.  Granted, I started playing this game early this year, but I have been around CCG/LCG's for some time as many of you have.  I believe we have plenty to be encouraged about.  FFG really seems to have its act together.  

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS