Discard pile vs dead pile

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kamacausey

kamacausey

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

Can someone explain how these two work? I can't find where it talks about the two different piles in the core set rule book.

#2 Underworld40k

Underworld40k

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

Its reasonably simple. If you have a copy of a unique card in your dead pile you can play no more copies of that card.

So lets say you run 3x Jamie lannister, you get a copy out who is unfortunately bludgeoned to death by targeted stark kill effects, he goes to the dead pile. Next turn you draw into another Jamie Lannister. That card is more or less just going to sit in your hand as he cant enter play.

Cards in the discard pile dont count for this, so if you didnt play the first jamie and he got discarded via an intrigue challenge, the jamie you then draw into could be played. 

The rule for the dead pile is under unique cards on page 19 

"You also may not play or take control of a unique card if there is a copy of that card in your dead pile, or if your opponent has taken control of another copy of that unique card from you."

Hope this helps

#3 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

Characters that are killed go to the dead pile. Cards with the "Condemned" keyword go to the dead pile when they are discarded from play (if not an event) or when they resolve successfully (if an event). Cards that are discarded from anywhere (from play, hand, deck or shadows) and events (whether successfully resolved or cancelled) go to the discard pile (unless the preceding sentence applies).

#4 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:59 AM

Khudzlin said:

Characters that are killed go to the dead pile. Cards with the "Condemned" keyword go to the dead pile when they are discarded from play (if not an event) or when they resolve successfully (if an event).  

Do you mean Deathbound?

#5 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

radiskull said:

Khudzlin said:

Characters that are killed go to the dead pile. Cards with the "Condemned" keyword go to the dead pile when they are discarded from play (if not an event) or when they resolve successfully (if an event).  

Do you mean Deathbound?

I do. I got tripped up by the French translation.

#6 Milu

Milu

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

In addition to this, I was wondering; If benjen Stark is killed, and the response is triggered to shuffle each player's deadpile into their decks again, would you still not be able to play the unique characters that have been killed (but are no longer in the dead pile anymore)?

#7 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

Milu said:

In addition to this, I was wondering; If benjen Stark is killed, and the response is triggered to shuffle each player's deadpile into their decks again, would you still not be able to play the unique characters that have been killed (but are no longer in the dead pile anymore)?

Certainly not.  There are lots of ways for a unique character to be killed but not end up in the dead pile.  It would be absurd to think that you couldn't play your Eddard Stark with Stalwart after drawing him on the turn after he'd been killed.

#8 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

Milu said:

The restriction on playing copies of unique cards that are already in your dead pile is checked when you want to play the unique card.  You are only prevented from playing a unique card if another copy is physically in your dead pile at the moment you want to play it.

#9 Milu

Milu

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

radiskull said:

Milu said:

Certainly not.  There are lots of ways for a unique character to be killed but not end up in the dead pile.  It would be absurd to think that you couldn't play your Eddard Stark with Stalwart after drawing him on the turn after he'd been killed.

I hadn't considerd that. It would make the Stalwart keyword useless. Thanks for clearing this up!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS