Gates, Investigators and Encounter Phases Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Golden Bear

Golden Bear

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Please forgive a ridiculous newbie question which I'm sure stems from my reading the rules too closely or not closely enough. It surrounds gates, investigators and their relationship to Arkham Encounter and Other World Encounter phases.

Since willingly encountering a gate will occur in the Arkham Encounter phase, technically the investigator will be in an Other World space during the next phase (the Other World Encounter phase) and should have an Other World Encounter this turn as well, right?

If Amanda Sharpe moves to a location with a gate during her movement phase then during her Arkham Encounter phase she will be pulled into the gate and end up in an Other World space (let's say R'lyeh). When that phase is followed by the Other World Encounter phase, does Amanda have an Other World Encounter as well this turn?

If instead, there wasn't a gate initially at the location but instead the player pulled a location card during the Arkham Encounter phase that resulted in a gate appearing that pulled Amanda into R'lyeh and "delayed" her, will she have an Other World Encounter in the following phase this same turn or not?

Your insight is greatly appreciated by a newbie like me and forgive me if this was answered in an earlier post that missed. Thanks in advance. :)

#2 Hugues

Hugues

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

Unless i misunderstood some of your points, you're right.

Whatever the way you're going through a gate, you'll have an Encounter in the Other World during the OW Encounter phase.

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,259 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

Golden Bear,

you are right on a point many newbies are wrong :-) The secret is the following the phases, as Hugues said. If any of your investigators is in an OW at the beginning of the OW encounters phase, then they have to draw one OW encounter. Hence:

- Amanda willingly enters the gate during the AE phase: she should (normally, unless some lucky encounters instructing her to return Arkham earlier, or some unlucky ones forcing her to be delayed) draw 2 OW cards. One during the turn she entered the gate, with her in the 1st OW area, and one during the following turn, when she'll be in the 2nd area

- if a gate opens under Amanda as result of an encounter at an unstable location, then she is delayed, and she will normally have to draw and resolve 3 OW cards: one during the turn she was sucked through the gate, one in the following turn when she cannot move to the 2nd area of the OW because she started this turn delayed, and then finally a 3rd one in the turn she moves to the 2nd area of the OW

And welcome to the Carnival!

JULIA

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 Golden Bear

Golden Bear

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:36 AM

Thank you, Julia and Hughes, that helps a lot!

Let the Horror begin :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS