Photo

100 point tournament. what would you bring?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

so what would you bring for a 100 point tourney where you would fight both imp and rebel players.

I think I would bring:

Wedge with r2d2 and proton (can we say scurge to the rebels? wouldnt allow ywings to roll for defence at mid to short range…. 1 evade die for xwings against proton torps…. oh yeah, I have a feeling hes going to be a priority)

Luke with r2 unit and proton, (free evade die= awesome)

Dutch with proton and ion cannon. (3 ion shot vs 2 evade…)

ps sorry if the grammar doesnt seem quite right, but whenever I hit backspace or enter , the forums delete half my post….. grrrrrr….. erased and retyped it about 5 times saying something new……. anyone else having that problem or did I activate the most annoying bug on my laptop/chrome?

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#2 DrUnK3n_PaNdA

DrUnK3n_PaNdA

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

R2D2 is unique. You'd have to choose between Wedge and Luke on that one. I really like R2 on Biggs, myself. He's obnoxiously tanky.

I would run (With the minis I have right now):

Mauler Mithel

Backstabber

Black Squadron TIE

Obsidian Squadron TIE x 4

99 Points is good for that lovely initiative and 7 TIEs is pretty overwhelming, especially with a couple named pilots in there. It also lets you out-skill a lot of Imperial swarm armies with your lowest skill being 3. It even lets you fire before rookie rebels with torpedoes, which I expect to see many of out there hunting for TIE Advanced.

#3 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

Luke has R2 Unit in the original post, not R2-D2.

As for myself, I'd take Wedge, Luke, and Biggs. Give Wedge R2-D2 and Swarm Tactics. Luke takes R2 Unit and Expert Handling so he can be more maneuverable and recover from stress tokens with more options ( i.e. after a barrel roll). Biggs gets R2-F2 and uses that action the entire game while staying close to Wedge and Luke. Finally. One of them has proton torpedoes.

Another squad I'd love is Dutch with two Gold Squadron pilots. Give them each an ion cannon and astromech, then load up with as many torpedoes as you can fit. I'd probably take R5-K6 on Dutch and put R2-D2 and R5-D8 on the other two. That leaves room for only one torpedo each, but should give them more staying power. In tournament, asteroids are guaranteed so the ion cannon will come in handy for getting opponents to crash.

You'll notice that both builds are at least mildly thematic (Luke should have R2-D2 instead of Wedge). But both are groups that make attack runs against the first Death Star.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#4 kmanweiss

kmanweiss

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:35 AM

I'd take the 6 named TIE pilots.  Good skills, swarm targets one at a time.  Very effective combo.

#5 AngryMojo

AngryMojo

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:35 AM

I've been having a lot of luck with two lists I run.  They function very differently on the table, and I like variety.

List 1: My preferred list, this squadron features a fair bit of target confusion as well as tactical versatility and flexibility.  With the way I run it, I avoid giving my opponent any clear target to focus fire on, and play as a skirmishing attrition game.

Darth Vader with Concussion Missiles

Night Beast

Dark Curse

Academy Pilot x3

List 2: This hits harder, but doesn't have quite the versatility of the previous list.  I run my TIEs in formations of three and pummel isolated ships with hard-hitting focus fire.

Marek Steele with Marksmanship

Backstabber

Night Beast

Winged Gundark

Academy Pilot x2

#6 Black2

Black2

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

DrUnK3n_PaNdA said:

R2D2 is unique. You'd have to choose between Wedge and Luke on that one. I really like R2 on Biggs, myself. He's obnoxiously tanky.

I would run (With the minis I have right now):

Mauler Mithel

Backstabber

Black Squadron TIE

Obsidian Squadron TIE x 4

99 Points is good for that lovely initiative and 7 TIEs is pretty overwhelming, especially with a couple named pilots in there. It also lets you out-skill a lot of Imperial swarm armies with your lowest skill being 3. It even lets you fire before rookie rebels with torpedoes, which I expect to see many of out there hunting for TIE Advanced.

I have been playing the 8 Tie Fighters against Rebels and dong great, but I really like your list and the thought behind it for a tournament. Very Nice!

#7 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

so after playing a game tonight its not r2 unit, its r2f2 lol, love the ties list

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#8 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

As Imperials, I've been messing around with:

Darth Vader (29)

--Concussion Missiles (4)

Howlrunner (18)

Academy Pilot x4 (48)

Total: 99 pts.

Howlrunner is a total beast. Vader darts in and out as needed, but mostly operates independent of the other ships. 

With Rebels, I'd probably run Wedge, Luke, and Biggs with some combination of R2-D2, R5-K6, and Proton Torpedoes.

#9 MilesD37

MilesD37

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

i love your y wing group posted up there (typing on cell so im not quoting, lol)…

for rebs i like luke/wedge/gray squadron pilot with r2d2- marksmanship- and proton on wedge, cheap astromech- swarm tactics- and proton on luke, and ion/2 protons/and astromech on grey… i cant remember the two mechs i put on grey and skyballer right now… using wedge and luke to occupy their forces the grey is ok firing last since he ends up not being a priority target, and if hes made to be one they got punished by wedge and luke… 

i played as imps tonight and dug my setup/outcome: Vader with cluster missles and swarm tatics flying with two academy pilots, howlrunner and mahler mithel flying together both with marksmanship… id like to play that grouo a time or two more, against other setups to see the outcome, but it worked well

#10 Fabster

Fabster

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

At the moment I'm testing very quality force for my Empire:

Vader + Squad Leader + Concussion Missiles

Maarek + Marksman + Con Missiles

Backstabber

Night Beast

The key tactic is early game missile strike, it works like this: Maarek targets enemie's solid ship, Vader targets the same ship and gives Maarek extra action (which is marksmen). Vader shoots first to remove any defenses or shields, Maarek goes next with A LOT of damage (one blank becomes hit, one focus becomes crit, other focuses become hits, for every crit you take 3 cards and choose one). What do you think?

#11 Scortch

Scortch

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

Imo are 4 ships Not enough for the empire,but i will test it and let u know my impressions.

#12 MilesD37

MilesD37

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:59 AM

Fabster said:

At the moment I'm testing very quality force for my Empire:

Vader + Squad Leader + Concussion Missiles

Maarek + Marksman + Con Missiles

Backstabber

Night Beast

The key tactic is early game missile strike, it works like this: Maarek targets enemie's solid ship, Vader targets the same ship and gives Maarek extra action (which is marksmen). Vader shoots first to remove any defenses or shields, Maarek goes next with A LOT of damage (one blank becomes hit, one focus becomes crit, other focuses become hits, for every crit you take 3 cards and choose one). What do you think?

im going to be trying this out… i only have one advanced right now, but sill have two in a day or so, last night i tried coming up with a very small imperial 100 point force instead of going to maesive ship count route and found that without more advanced you cant…

#13 Harleequin

Harleequin

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

Well before the tournament starts, I would probably do some investigating and see what the other players are using, most likely I'd use my Imperial Swarm, but theres also the chance I might use imperial defense.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS