Fate Point Pool And Righteous Fury For Renegade Space Marines

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Decessor

Decessor

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:16 AM

The Chaos Space Marine profile in the core rulebook lists "Killing Strike" as one of their talents - with no way to use it since elites don't get fate points. Yet, simply giving each CSM a fate point (or more) seems a bit over the top. And there is also the issue that astartes bolt weapons won't do much to threaten high level Deathwatch killteams. A maximum non-righteous fury damage of 21 (max roll of 10 + 9 + 2 from mighty shot) with penetration 4 will do nothing to a level high techmarine and very little to well equipped members of other specialties. It also makes the volatile quality on plasma weapons pointless.

So I propose a two-fold solution.

1. Each renegade marine gets Touched By The Fates (0). This means they can righteous fury and be a significant threat to killteams of all levels.

2. Each distinct squad-equivalent group of renegade marines has a pool of fate points. Say around half as many as there are marines. Or three. Regardless of the exact number, the GM can use a fate point from the pool as if it was the marine's own.

Example

A squad of eight traitor marines ambush a killteam. They have a pool of four fate points. Halfway through the battle, a marine is in close combat with a killteam member and uses killing strike. Another marine uses a fate point to raise their wounds to survive another attack.

Any thoughts or critiques?

#2 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

An interesting thought and solution for a problem I didn't even know existed. I like it.

#3 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:32 PM

Could this mean the Emperor is with Traitor Marines? That there is still hope for them yet? ;)

#4 Decessor

Decessor

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

By that reckoning, he's with daemon princes and tau commanders, so why not?

#5 kjakan

kjakan

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:23 PM

Apparently, there is more than one Fate out there.

Touching people.

-K

#6 Gaire

Gaire

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

The alternative is to do what they did with the Tyrant Guard in Jericho Reach: give them Fate Points that can only be used to activate any Talents they have that require such expenditure. Touched by the Fates (0) is a good idea. I'd probably implement it if I weren't two, max three sessions away from ending my campaign.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS