Necrons and Sentient Tyranid crew

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TheHeavenlyLily

TheHeavenlyLily

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

So I was thinking about what would be a crazy addition to a crew. Though I admit the Necron would be an easier fit than something like an independent Tyranid crew member. In case I need to point it out I am not entirely serious about this. Merely curious if others have anything like this before and if so how did you handle it.

#2 Fresnel

Fresnel

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

A genestealer cultist or even hybrid might easily be 'crew'…. Grandfather might well be down in the lower decks. But I don't think you meant this did you?

A necron might easily use technology to pose as a human; classic Terminator style disguise…

#3 TheHeavenlyLily

TheHeavenlyLily

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

Wow I tried to type out three responses and the site ate them by deleting the entire thing after pushing backspace twice. So I had a more in depth response that I will try again later. If it happens again I am liable to never come to the site again. The forums formatting is terrible.

#4 TheHeavenlyLily

TheHeavenlyLily

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

I was thinking that maybe a Cryptek or disposed Lord would side with a Rogue Trader. The Cryptek doing so for more knowledge and the Lord looking to reclaim his Tomb World from those who usurped it from him by releasing one of the C'tan or maybe even gathering multiple fragments into a larger whole to release it upon his foes.

The tyranid member of the crew would be perhaps a former Hive Tyrant that was severed for some reason and when that happened the rest of the hive it was formerly leading turned against it. For whatever reason the Hive Tyrant survived and sought a way off the planet. Eventually developing the means to overwhelm a drone ships connection to the rest of the Hive where it was picked up by a Rogue Trader looking for something interesting after not knowing what it was.

Well that took far longer to type than I hoped with how often it was erased by the website.

#5 Fresnel

Fresnel

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

IMO the necron idea is fine, although wanting to reunite C'tan shards sounds more an standard bat-**** insane. If the Inquisition had a hint of this ally the RT would be subject to huge 'attention'.

As far as I understand tyranids, their only motivation is to serve the hive. If the hive mind wanted it recycled it would walk into the nearest reclamation pit. There are no rebel Tyranids. A mutated/damaged tyranid creature might turn into an uncontrolled beast, but a self-willed individual? I don't think so… Perhaps you might create a new type of infiltrator breed? But it's very difficult for me to imagine it working in RT.

#6 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

Tyranid or Necron crew members????         

Ohhh…. you were being serious. 

I can't ever imagine a Tyranid actually being a crew member on a human ship.  Let alone, a Hive Tyrant walking around on a human ship.  Wow……  Reminds me of Aliens.  The only far reached concept I can think of is similar to what someone else mentioned.  A Genestealer hybrid or infected member, posing as something else.  Like a Genestealer Magus posing as a Palm Reader in the bowels of the ship, or a genestealer hybrid charading as a mutant, or just your regular infected member, who could be anybody.

Necrons…. yea, I don't really know enough fluff on them, other than the basics.  Long dead beings, finally awakened, seeking the destruction of everything they come across.  The Terminator idea could work, though IMHO that sounds more like an Iron Man / False Man concept.  Which, now that I ponder on it, I really like.  Hehehe, gears a whirling and smoke coming out now.  False Men XP (Experimental Prodigy), similar to the Cylons from Battlestar Galactica.  A bunch of Number 6's running around. 

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#7 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

As far as Necron ideas go, didn't GW effectively delete the existence of Pariahs - the ones created from captured Untouchables?

For a Tyranid PC, you can't go wrong with Zoats! They were the classic free-willed scouts outside of the hive mind (conquered vassals was one proposed origin, but it doesn't really work as well with what GW has now), but they don't seem to have fared well in the face of GW either.

Perhaps a squat that's secretly a genestealer hybrid with his zoat lover!

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#8 Obetor

Obetor

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Tyranids doesn’t work becous they are cunning beast at best a mindless beast at worst.

Necrons no problem, thou it have to be a Necron noble.

- Erik

#9 Fresnel

Fresnel

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

I thought Zoats were deleted from the Universe? But they are exactly what is being looked for…

#10 Musclewizard

Musclewizard

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:05 AM

Necrons might actually work due to their new fluff. I know very little about it but from what I've gathered the "higher-ups" are quite sentient and have their own goals and ambitions.

Tyranids however wouldn't work at all. No free will, no independent thought, biomass only. Final destination.

#11 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:57 AM

Fresnel said:

I thought Zoats were deleted from the Universe? But they are exactly what is being looked for…

Squats resurfaced in the newest iteration of the game, so maybe if we hold on for Zoats we'll see them return too.

#12 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:56 AM

Yeah, but aren't they still extinct? It's just that they're giving them a nod to their some umpteen years since the last official appearance in canon.

#13 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:30 AM

Blood Pact said:

Yeah, but aren't they still extinct? It's just that they're giving them a nod to their some umpteen years since the last official appearance in canon.

There may no longer be any Squat homeworlds, but that doesn't mean that the Squats are totally extinct considering that they are a starfaring people. I'd venture that they are in a better condition than Vulcans in the Abram's Star Trek universe. If there are any Squats left, they are rare and that makes them attractive to folks such as Rogue Traders.

Who knows, we may find out that they are hidden away somewhere safe after the catastrophe that wiped out their homeworlds. It worked for the Dark Eldar.

#14 TheHeavenlyLily

TheHeavenlyLily

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:49 AM

I was thinking for the Tyranid idea (that was the silly option really) that the Tyranid hive tyrant had engaged forces of Chaos and became to "Corrupted" by the experience and without risking the sanctity of the Hive Fleet the Hive Mind cut and those lesser broods under from the Hive Mind. The resulting chaos crippled the tyrant. Or some other independent organism like a Zoanthrope or Lictor. The codex states that the Tyrants and higher organisms are fully sentient and are capable of devising new plans and strategies. So that was the angle that I was going for when I had the idea for the former servant of the Hive Mind.

And the Necron I would allow for a wider range of possibilities. Though it would still have to be a Lord or similarly sentient Necron.

Though this is no longer needed since my other player has decided to make a Tau.  

#15 Volkomor

Volkomor

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

To add at the ficticional situation: me and some friends thought about this idea some time ago, just for fun. It has a mix of various science fictions scenarios. Here I present the notable figures of a Rogue Trader cruiser.

Human, Rogue Trader - basically Captain Kirk, looking for fine xenos asses and treasures. Mildly heret… open-minded to new experiences. Manages to evade Inquisition attention, but is utmost loyal to the Imperium.

Eldar Howling Banshee, First Mate - hot chick dressed on tight eldar armor, more or less envolved with the RT. Usually only repeats the automated vox-systems with barely contained enthusiasm:

"Shields at 50%. Imminent impact detected." (vox)

"Shields at 50%! Imminent impact detected!" (eldar)

Tau Ethereal, Chef - prepares the food. It's always japanese food, unless some xenos delicacy is captured from time to time. Noone complains about the food, although some curious pheromones have been detected at dinner time.

Ork, Mekboy - engineer of the ship. Puts an empty spherical fishbowl over his head and 'swims' in vacuum to fix external leakings and hull breaches with silvertape, glue (non-toxic, for it's his dessert at lunch) and some bubblegum.

Dark Eldar Wych, Medic - always seems to 'forget' proper anaesthetization to her patients and everyone tries to be healthy to avoid her… 'methods'. Her motto: "a needle a day keeps the doctor happy everyday". Her needles have the size of a gun barrel, of course. Classical skimpy dressed nurse.

Necron Warrior, Diplomat - A gift from Assholetep*, this necron has a bit more sentience than his kin. The RT uses him as a first 'external relations' diplomat: the necron is teleported to the planet's surface. If he returns as a wreckage (as necron bodies do when defeated), the planet is deemed hostile. If he does not return like that, the place is safe. Very coincidentally, he always have been sporting a red shirt when returned battered and broken. Go figure.

Tyranid Hormagaunt, Pilot - Another gift from Assholetep. This one was the lone survivor of a previous meeting between Assholetep's armies and a small tyranid hive splinter. Deeming it quite a curious creature, he implanted it with a control chip and now it has sentience levels like the aforementioned necron warrior. The RT put it as a pilot because it was quite funny to imagine and as a suggestion from Assholetep. It always answers with chirps and clacks when questioned/ordered, probably meaning it'll eat the intelopers. So far it never collided with asteroids and other space debris.

Alpha Legion Marine, Seneschal - even if noone likes Chaos, noone can stop the Alpha Legion to do its work. This marine happened to slip into the ship and works as the law and intelligence officer, filtering and reporting the RT with only the necessary information he needs know. Everyone thinks he's just a burly, but lethal, human.

* Assholetep - Necron Lord created by 4chan

#16 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

Volkomor said:

To add at the ficticional situation: me and some friends thought about this idea some time ago, just for fun. It has a mix of various science fictions scenarios. Here I present the notable figures of a Rogue Trader cruiser.

Human, Rogue Trader

Eldar Howling Banshee, First Mate

Tau Ethereal, Chef

Ork, Mekboy

Dark Eldar Wych, Medic

Necron Warrior, Diplomat

Tyranid Hormagaunt, Pilot

Alpha Legion Marine, Seneschal

* Assholetep - Necron Lord created by 4chan

Wow…… quite an interesting crew you have there!  It really does sound like it would of been a blast to play.  If everyone was having fun, then have at it my man.    To be honest though, I think I would of enjoyed playing a Sslyth Interpreter or a Getchin Chemist. 

TheHeavenlyLily said:

I was thinking for the Tyranid idea (that was the silly option really) that the Tyranid hive tyrant had engaged forces of Chaos and became to "Corrupted" by the experience and without risking the sanctity of the Hive Fleet the Hive Mind cut and those lesser broods under from the Hive Mind. The resulting chaos crippled the tyrant. Or some other independent organism like a Zoanthrope or Lictor. The codex states that the Tyrants and higher organisms are fully sentient and are capable of devising new plans and strategies. So that was the angle that I was going for when I had the idea for the former servant of the Hive Mind.

Hm…. this grand concept could possibly work.  Combined with a whole lot of other tweeking, it's "feasible."…..  As a side not, even though the RAW and RAI aren't compatible with Volkomor's or your idea, if your playing the game and everyone is having fun then that is all that matters.  As a warning though, don't expect die hard fanatics or rule lawyers to support you completely on this forum.  And please don't let it some of these or later comments irk you or dissuade you from coming here and asking for advice.  Everyone has their own view of how the system should work.  Anyhoot, happy gaming people. 

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#17 Obetor

Obetor

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

Alpha Legion Marine, Seneschal DAMN that is brilliant.
I might use that in a serious Black Crusade game

- Erik

#18 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

Necron: A Cryptek or Lord would be fine, and I'd actually love to play such a character.

Tyranid: Your best bet is a Genestealer Hybrid. A Zoat might also work. Anything else is severely against canon.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS