A question on Theme

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TheKingOfBlades

TheKingOfBlades

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:54 AM

Is there anyone else out there that picked up X-wing not because they like star wars but because they liked wings of war?

For me personally if FFG was going to release a game like this I would have much rather seen them release it using their Twilight Imperium universe. This would have given then many more options on the number of ships that they could release. I don't know a whole lot about star wars but it seems really narrow in the amount of ships they could include in a dog fight style of game. If they would have set in in the TI universe they could have made up any kind of fighter they wanted to also they could have had more then 2 factions and each faction could have had more of a defined style. I bet as more releases come out the line that defines rebel and imperial play styles will get even thinner.

On the reverse side did anyone get this game just because it was Star Wars and had never heard of Wings of War before?

#2 Zoso

Zoso

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

I bought it mainly because it was Star Wars, and because after researching it and seeing demos it looked like a really fun game. I had seen Wings of War, but never played it. Also, to address your other point another big selling factor for me was that I knew I wasn't going to have to get into spending a ton to collect a bunch of ships. I'd say that FFG will have plenty more down the line from the prequels and possibly the EU, which is great for collectors. Of course, I don't know for sure what the future plans are for this game, but I do know that for me, once the OT stuff is done I will be done as well. 

#3 TheKingOfBlades

TheKingOfBlades

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

You have a point about games with never ending things to buy getting annoying. I wouldn't want that either. But I would find the game much more interesting if it was set in the TI universe and had 4 - 6 factions with well defined styles and strategies. The same six factions from the Rex board game would be cool to have in a dog fight style game.

As of right now X-wings isn't seeing a whole lot of play because of lack of variety. And when more variety comes I'm worried that it is going to make the factions play style no different from one another. When the game first came out Rebels had tough strong ships in limited amounts and the Imperial forces had fast ships with a high agility stat and they had a swarm of them. But with the tie advance it gives the empire the ability to field ships that are just as tough (actually they're tougher because of higher agility) to kill as the X-wing. When the A-wing comes out it will give the rebels the option to play with fast agile ships.

I guess this works if you're a big star wars fan but for me I'm a big fan of games that have different factions with different and unique styles and abilities so it will be a little disappointing if the only thing separating the styles of the two factions is which ships do you like the look of more.

#4 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

TheKingOfBlades said:

As of right now X-wings isn't seeing a whole lot of play because of lack of variety.

Stats?

#5 TheKingOfBlades

TheKingOfBlades

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

I. J. Thompson said:

TheKingOfBlades said:

As of right now X-wings isn't seeing a whole lot of play because of lack of variety.

Stats?

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking but the lack of variety I was taking about was the number of actual ship types available. There is only 2 different ships for each side right now. Sure there are different pilots for each ship but each pilot just adds one special ability and a different skill stat and sometimes certain pilots can be equipped with a veteran card. For me a lot more of the variety comes from the different types of ships. The ship is what provides all the stats except for skill and they are what provide all of the actions you can take plus they are what give you most of the different equipment cards you can take.

#6 Harleequin

Harleequin

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

never even heard of FFG or wings of war before this lol, usualy just play a worshipper of cthulhu game (not FFG) and yugioh / magic / pokemon before this. Instantly after playing the demo my store got early, I got hooked.

#7 TieDefender

TieDefender

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

I was drawn in purely on the premise of FFG doing Star wars space combat properly unlike SSB which sucked,  the game does need more variety though there isn't enough units or types of units period look at WAS which has,

Captial Ships, Surface ships, Installations, auxiliaries, aircraft (fighters, bombers etc), subs, convoys

#8 shnar

shnar

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

no, and it's almost ridiculous to ask, since most players don't about wingsofwar let alone any history of connection s between the game. and to suggest that this game gets little play because of ship variety is even more silly. this game has seen more play than almost any other game in my group. p.s. excuse the poorly formatted text, apparently this edit box isn't recognized by my phone…

#9 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

I don't know about little play but I just went to my local game shop and he told me that X-wing is sold out at the distributor level, and as you can see from the FFG website it is sold out at the manufacture level as well. I doubt people are buying it and not playing it. I am not a gamer though I do like games. I have been playing this game as much as I can in the week since I got it. It's ridiculously addictive.

Be seeing you.

#10 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

TheKingOfBlades said:

I. J. Thompson said:

TheKingOfBlades said:

Stats?

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking but the lack of variety I was taking about was the number of actual ship types available.

Just wondering where you got the idea that this game "isn't seeing a whole lot of play".

#11 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

TheKingOfBlades said:

I. J. Thompson said:

TheKingOfBlades said:

Stats?

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking but the lack of variety I was taking about was the number of actual ship types available. There is only 2 different ships for each side right now. Sure there are different pilots for each ship but each pilot just adds one special ability and a different skill stat and sometimes certain pilots can be equipped with a veteran card. For me a lot more of the variety comes from the different types of ships. The ship is what provides all the stats except for skill and they are what provide all of the actions you can take plus they are what give you most of the different equipment cards you can take.

TheKingOfBlades said:

The different pilot cards are what make this appealing to me, in spite of the lack of physically different ship models.  The different pilots inside my X-Wings all provide with  different ways to go about playing the game.

Some games I like taking the "Yavin 4 Dream Team" of Luke, Wedge, and Biggs, but other times I might change it around and do Wedge (w/ Swarm Tactics) and a Rookie Pilot rocking faces at Pilot Skill 9, and fill out the rest of the roster with whatever I'm in the mood for.

Alternatively, you can go with something like FFG's X-Wing swarm of 4 Rookie Pilots and 4 Torpedos for 100 points bang on.  Or switch the Torpedos for 4 Marksmanships, and use the leftover 4 points to put a droid or two on the ships.  Either way, those Rookie Pilots may be going last, but they're going to have some sweet damage output.

Use those 4 X-Wings to set up a bunch of TIE's for collisions (only Academy Pilots can get around you, by moving first), so they can't use Actions, which means no Evades or Focus, or Barrel Rolls for them, so you're going to lace into them with 4 Attack dice per X-Wing and you've got Marksmanship to help increase your hit potential.  The TIE's you kill from this won't be there next turn, and you're free to carry on your way with less opposition.

The irony of your concerns for me, is that I don't even really dig the Y-Wing that much, which I use occasionally, but I'm quite content with the 4 X-Wings I own for my Rebels.  I can run that list a bunch of ways, and I haven't felt bored yet.  When the A-Wing and Falcon come into the mix, I'll have even more tough decisions to make at the squad building level.

So many sweet options to take, within just the X-Wing ships, that I always wish I could "take it all", which we may do, and run a 125pt game, or something bigger.

#12 bayruun

bayruun

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

I do worry that at some point "Rebels vs Imperials" will get old and people will want to see other factions. I can't think of too many that would work besides Mercs, Pirates, Corps and Vong. They could dig into the prequels, which I'm all for, but there were very few (if any, depending on which timelines you go with) battles between clones and the Empire. There were certainly instances of Jedi fighting against the Empire (and I think Dark Times is a great era to game in in general).

As for theme, I too would have liked to see something with greater variety used. TI seems perfect for this.

"Some goals are so worthy it is glorious even to fail."

#13 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

I have to confess that I have wanted a Star Wars X-wing miniature game ever since I bought me firsts minis back when I was twelve. I have been surprised at how Awesome the game mechanics have been.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#14 Zoso

Zoso

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

I. J. Thompson said:

TheKingOfBlades said:

I. J. Thompson said:

TheKingOfBlades said:

Stats?

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking but the lack of variety I was taking about was the number of actual ship types available.

Just wondering where you got the idea that this game "isn't seeing a whole lot of play".

I believe he means it isn't seeing a lot of play by his group or at his home, not in general.

On another note, I see no reason why FFG couldn't take these mechanics and use them for another property of theirs, such as TI. Not stop doing Star Wars of course, but have 2 separate games with different themes.

#15 TheKingOfBlades

TheKingOfBlades

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

@Zoso

You're correct. I was referring to myself and not to the game world as a whole. I'm sure that even is this game was bad it would continue to sell out and get play for at least a little while just based on the fact that it was Star Wars.

Hrathen said:

I have to confess that I have wanted a Star Wars X-wing miniature game ever since I bought me firsts minis back when I was twelve. I have been surprised at how Awesome the game mechanics have been.

The game mechanics are so awesome because the core of this game was taken from another very popular game called Wings of War which FFG used to publish. I'm surprised no one here has heard of or played Wings of War before.

The main reason I'm playing this game over Wings of War is because I found out about Wings of War late into its creation and it was impossible to get a lot of the ships. Also WoW didn't have a point system so when making a balanced fight you had to guess at which ships were balanced. Also for me X-wing fixed a lot of the clunkyness that kept me from really getting into Wings of War.

#16 ArcticSnake

ArcticSnake

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

Wings of War was a ho-hum for me… :(

Battlescribe X-Wing Miniatures Data file links:
Index.bsi file: https://dl.dropboxus...tures/index.bsi
Index.xml file: https://dl.dropboxus...tures/index.xml

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS