Jump to content



Photo

will this game focus only on the Original Trilogy?


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mischief

Mischief

    Member

  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:02 AM

or is it possible we'll see things  from the PT, Old Republic, NJO, etc?

 

sorry if this has been covered before but i searched around and couldn't find any info. what i've seen of the way the game is played seems pretty centered on the OT.



#2 spalanzani

spalanzani

    Member

  • Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

It does seem to be focusing just on the OT, yeah. Not entirely sure if this will be forever the case, but the core set box does seem to be a very strong indicator, in my opinion, that it won't have any Clone Wars hijinks involved. The EU seems to be quite strongly featured from the off, so it's a distinct possibility (again, in my opinion) that we might start seeing some New Republic era stuff, although whether we get a Chief of State Leia will probably remain to be seen. Certainly as far as (most) NR-era villains go, they all seemed to have careers in the Empire pre-Endor, which would lead you to assume Thrawn, Isard (father and daughter), Pellaeon, Zsinj et al will come along sooner or later. As far as getting all the way to the NJO, though, is probably unlikely. Unless they bring in a YV faction in a deluxe box much like Silver Twilight for Cthulhu, of course. 

The conclusion of these Sunday morning ramblings, anyway, is that I think we'll have to wait for a separate card game before we get to see Mace Windu or Satele Shan. 

 


www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.


#3 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

    Member

  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:13 AM

I hope its not a seperate card game just a new big box set around thouse three movies



#4 Moses2813

Moses2813

    Member

  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

I believe that as the game matures, FFG will branch into the different facets of the SW universe.  It obviously is starting with the OT. 

I believe that the game will suceed or fail based on the game mechanic.  The demos at GenCon were well received.  When I demoed, the dark side deck seemed overpowered compared to the light side.  That said,  I know that I will be buying the core set.  If the game mechanic is fun and balanced then I will coninue to purchase the force packs.  I also believe that if the game is a hit, it will be huge.  A great number of Decipher SW gamers have been waiting for a good SW card game to come along.

My experience with FFG LCG's is that they come out with monthly packs after they release a boxed set.  The packs seem to follow the theme of the boxed set.  So, if that trend continues, there will be a number of force packs that will follow the core set.  Then, another boxed set will come out with force packs to come after that carrying on the theme of that boxed set.

Of course, with the absence of fact, there can only be speculation.



#5 alpha5099

alpha5099

    Member

  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

Moses, I think that relationship between the monthly pack cycles and the deluxe expansions is mainly just true for the LotR LCG, and doesn't necessarily hold for the rest of FFG's card games. AGOT, which is the LCG I've spent the most time with, doesn't really have any sort of connection between the packs and the expansions; the last expansion the game received, Lions of the Rock, came out smack in the middle of a cycle of chapter packs.

The monthly pack cycles definitely all tie together in major ways. They introduce new gameplay mechanics and/or expand upon the existing strengths and flavor of each faction. They also generally have a thematic thread that broadly ties the cards together, focusing on a locale in the game's world or on certain subfactions. So, we might someday see a Coruscant cycle, or an Outer Rim cycle. Monthly packs (what will FFG call them? Force Packs seems to be the fanon name so far, unless that term's already been announced) is where I suspect we're more likely to see the game focusing on lore outside the Original Trilogy.

We already know that the core set will be focusing primarily on four of the six factions in the game, with probably only minimal cards available for the Smuggler or Scum factions. To me, this suggests that the deluxe expansions will probably be fairly close to AGOT in design, all of which have focused on expanding on the card pools for one of that game's six factions. The first two expansions in AGOT more or less introduced the card pool for the two factions not included in the core set.

Star Wars will follow suit, putting out a deluxe expansion that provides cards for Smuggler and Scum decks. Depending on how the expansions are designed, we might be able to knock that out in one expansion, or we may have to wait for a second expansion to be released before all factions are properly supported. Given the nature of the gameplay, I imagine it will just be one expansion, as it might seriously disrupt balance if one side gets a huge influx of a new faction and the other side has to wait months for its turn.

 



#6 Moses2813

Moses2813

    Member

  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

alpha, you may be right since my experience has been primarily with LOTR.  I only own the core AGOT and Warhammer and do not play Chuthulu or Netrunner.

 However," if"  they mature the game the way that they have with LOTR, I hope you will not be disappointed.



#7 spalanzani

spalanzani

    Member

  • Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

alpha5099 said:

Monthly packs (what will FFG call them? Force Packs seems to be the fanon name so far, unless that term's already been announced) is where I suspect we're more likely to see the game focusing on lore outside the Original Trilogy.

Yeah, Force Packs was the name for the monthly packs back when the game was initially announced.

alpha5099 said:

Depending on how the expansions are designed, we might be able to knock that out in one expansion, or we may have to wait for a second expansion to be released before all factions are properly supported. Given the nature of the gameplay, I imagine it will just be one expansion, as it might seriously disrupt balance if one side gets a huge influx of a new faction and the other side has to wait months for its turn.

This is the other consensus, that the game will mirror Warhammer: Invasion in having the other two factions available in a single deluxe, rather than having a deluxe each. That may likely also contain one or two cards for the core factions as well, as Assault on Ulthuan did for Warhammer.

I suppose, if they were to bring us the Prequels and other eras, I'd expect it to happen in the form of deluxe boxes rather than within the cycles of Force Packs (I'm sticking with that name!). I just don't see it ever happening, based on my experience with the other LCGs (I play them all apart from Netrunner), there's just something in my gut that makes me feel this is going to be classic-trilogy only. Given the amount of fiction that exists within this timeline, no matter how short (relatively) it is, I don't think there'll be a shortage of material for them to work with. WEG made the era their own, of course, but I'm sure FFG can carve out their own little niche as well! 


www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.


#8 alpha5099

alpha5099

    Member

  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

Moses2813 said:

alpha, you may be right since my experience has been primarily with LOTR.  I only own the core AGOT and Warhammer and do not play Chuthulu or Netrunner.

 However," if"  they mature the game the way that they have with LOTR, I hope you will not be disappointed.

Oh, I certainly wouldn't be disappointed; I think such a thematic tie between the deluxe expansions and the monthly packs could be great for the game. But that relationship exists in LotR largely because of the encounter deck mechanic, a gameplay and narrative device that doesn't really translate to the Star Wars LCG.

We shall just have to wait and see how FFG approaches the release of material for this game. For now, I just want to get my hands on the core set, can't wait to start playing.



#9 158hoff

158hoff

    Member

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

I'm hoping that it begins to start branching out into the entire SW universe. Could be a very long lasting game if they do so. There's just so much out there.



#10 Hannibal_pjv

Hannibal_pjv

    Member

  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

I never liked mixing different "eras" cards and vehicles in Wizkids star wars poket models game… It is very unthematick. I know that it is just a game, but it still causes me a headache…



#11 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

    Member

  • Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

Depends on if there are any awesome ewoks in the EU? Moving forward to EU seems more logical than going back to the prequels. Hopefully, that's a legal possibility. I don't know how I feel about NJO, though.



#12 Hannibal_pjv

Hannibal_pjv

    Member

  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

Expanded universe in guite near in timeline, so It is not so bad…

 



#13 ChaosChild

ChaosChild

    Member

  • Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

qwertyuiop said:

Depends on if there are any awesome ewoks in the EU? Moving forward to EU seems more logical than going back to the prequels. Hopefully, that's a legal possibility. I don't know how I feel about NJO, though.

There's an Ewok bounty hunter (who's name escapes me ATM) in the EU. Plus Rogue Squadron disguises Wedge as an Ewok (well, sort of) at one point. Can't think of any others.



#14 spalanzani

spalanzani

    Member

  • Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:31 AM

ChaosChild said:

qwertyuiop said:

 

Depends on if there are any awesome ewoks in the EU? Moving forward to EU seems more logical than going back to the prequels. Hopefully, that's a legal possibility. I don't know how I feel about NJO, though.

 

 

There's an Ewok bounty hunter (who's name escapes me ATM) in the EU. Plus Rogue Squadron disguises Wedge as an Ewok (well, sort of) at one point. Can't think of any others.

Oh hell, I'd forgotten about the Ewok bounty hunter… Isn't he more NJO era though? I'm sure he was in Denning's Inferno, at least…

Yub Yub, Commander 


www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.


#15 Rince

Rince

    Member

  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

Hannibal_pjv said:

I never liked mixing different "eras" cards and vehicles in Wizkids star wars poket models game… It is very unthematick. I know that it is just a game, but it still causes me a headache…

 

I am totally with you on this. I hope I will never see any episode I, II, III stuff in this game, and that it will stay strictly in the original trilogy's timeline. Extended universe is fine, just don't mix the timelines.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS