One scenario to test them all

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger of the Force

Ranger of the Force

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:53 AM

I like to build decks that stand a reasonable chance at defeating a wide variety of encounter decks.  Is there a scenario/group of scenarios that if you can beat it, you would stand a reasonable chance of defeating others?  I am tired of sleeving and unsleeving all of my scenarios (Core+Mirkwood) and would like to find one in my collection that I can use to test decks against rather than going through the gambit so to speak.  So if you would, could please provide two lists of scenrios, one assuming all available scenarios, and the other just mirkwood that one could test decks against that would determine if they could reasonably defeat the others without actually playing against them.  Thanks in advance.

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:01 AM

i usually use hunt for gollum as a standard - its got a bit of everything. however i do not think there is a scenario that can be used as a test all, no deck can win everything, something that is good in hunt for gollum will probably be a good all round deck, but when faced with say carrock- it may not be that good as its a very specific quest, probably same with emyn muil and dead marshes.

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 Ranger of the Force

Ranger of the Force

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:56 AM

richsabre said:

i usually use hunt for gollum as a standard - its got a bit of everything. however i do not think there is a scenario that can be used as a test all, no deck can win everything, something that is good in hunt for gollum will probably be a good all round deck, but when faced with say carrock- it may not be that good as its a very specific quest, probably same with emyn muil and dead marshes.

rich

Thanks Rich, that is helpful.  I like building well rounded decks, so scenarios that force me to do a wide variety of things is what I am looking for. 

Do others agree that HfG is a good scenario to test against for the Mirkwood Cycle?  

#4 ClydeCloggie

ClydeCloggie

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:03 AM

Not entirely. It's true Hunt for Gollum has a nice mix of Treacheries, Locations and potentially big Enemies, but I also find it to be one of the more formulaic quests to beat. There is one game plan that seems to work a high % of games almost regardless of the deck that you have, which is to get rid of as many Hunters as you can first, then grab 2 Clues, then race for the finish.

Out of all the available Quests, Journey Down the Anduin and Into the Pit would maybe be the 2 that I would see as the most all-round. From the Mirkwood cycle, I would perhaps look at the Dead Marshes as the most all-round, although frankly all 6 have their quirks (as it should be).

#5 renegadeshepherd

renegadeshepherd

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

i think the anduin scenario is the best tester OVERALL.  meaning that u obviously have it already and u may not have some other material that is very good for testing material.  furthermore the scenario forces a fight against a big guy earlier than most scenarios but allows some time to build up also, then off course it has good mix of locations, treachery, and enemies.  plus there are no objectives to make ur life easier so u can test the deck not outside variables. 

but if i had to pick a single scenario for me i would go for foundations of stone.  now WAIT i know what some of u are thinking:  its an easy scenario in solitaire with all those objectives helping u out, and i cant argue this too much.  but stop and consider for a moment that the 4 different 4th stages add so many different possibilities a single scenario that it has the most diversity.  furthermore u cant plan for the next stage like u could with anduin and hunt for gollum so it makes for a decent test of a deck.  and if pure research and testing is ur goal, then just pickout the stage 4 that u need in order to answer a question (can i fight 4 nameless things at once when old one lair shows up?, or can last long enough to go 49 progress when endless caves show? etc etc).  side note: im fond of how some treachery cards make ur hero go away :)   

finally, foundations is rated as lv 6, which i think is the perfect number for a test.  any higher and it might be too much and any lower its too easy.   

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS