Large scale battles for conventions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Magnus3740

Magnus3740

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:25 AM

I used to have the Lego versions of the X-Wing, A-Wing, Y-Wing, Tie Advanced and Tie Fighter.  Now I'm thinking that I made a mistake of selling them, although I can pick them up on ebay still.  Does anyone else get the idea that a large scale battle of this game should be played at conventions?  You'd have to make a larger scale templates, but I think it would be awesome.

#2 Harleequin

Harleequin

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

Do you mean larger pieces, or larger squad size? Also didn't find the relevance to the lego part lol

#3 kmanweiss

kmanweiss

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

Playing with larger 'minis' could be kind of cool.  Need to use like a basketball court or a school playground lol.  The range finder would be HUGE.  Might have to use some sort of laser measuring device for range.

I have a few of those lego models, and honestly was just thinking about doing away with them as they are just sitting in storage.

#4 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

A friend of mine used 1/72 ships (and Star Warrior rules) years ago. I would also like to see X-Wing mass battles though, like has been done for Wings of War in the past…

#5 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

Lego = larger ships = larger scale battles.

Might be interesting in a gym…

#6 Magnus3740

Magnus3740

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:12 AM

For the range finder you may be able to scale it to a foot or two for each band and use a measuring tape.

Sorry if it was not clear, I was thinking of having a larger scale game to attract a lot of attention at a convention.  I think creating larger scale movement templates would be the hardest part.  It would be cool to see next year at GenCon though.

#7 Capn Blackheart

Capn Blackheart

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

I intend to use my son's collection of Action Fleet ships to teach him to play with a ship that isn't too small for him and is far less delicate. X-wings are around 6 inches nose to tail and we have enough ships for 100 points each with interceptors, the Melenium Falcon and Slave 1 on stand by.  Have to play on a x6 board though.

#8 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

You could also use MicroMachines, as the X-Wing is nearly identical in size to the FFG mini.  The TIEs and Y-Wing are smaller, but far more durable for little hands.

#9 wittzo

wittzo

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:04 AM

Years ago, I saw a game of Star Fleet Battles played using large scale "minis" that were a foot long each. They used the tiles on the floor as a grid. They also used large foam dice to roll. The ships were made of styrofoam, they were able to pluck parts off as they took damage. People applauded and cheered when they had a saucer separation. :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS