I love the characters and endings and I'm glad I own The Dragon Expansion. Still I find myself not using the core rules very often as they seem to eclipse the main game:
- The Dungeon become obsolete as a quick leveling plan. Once a character is dungeon ready you are usually better of just drawing dragon cards.
- When players reach mid level they generally want dragon cards. This means staying in the areas which have been the most traveled (they have more tokens on board). Essentially this tends to keep players in the same region (usually the outer region) and we lose the variety that comes from having multiple regions.
- By end game it seems your dragon scales matter more than your character's objects and abilities.
- When the game is finished we have usually seen more dragon cards than other adventure cards. A lot more. This expansion adds more cards but has you playing with the same smaller card pool game after game.
- The Dragon expansion has its own ending(s), and outright clashes with the other alternative endings.
Overall my experience is that The Dragon expansion dominates play. as it stands, my dragon cards, lords, tokens, and overlays mostly stay in the box for occasional play only (and too me it's worth having for that). I might try Domain Of Dragons next time, it at least preserves the non drawing spaces.
What are other people's thoughts and experiences with this set?