• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

The Yellow Sign PoD is now available. I guess the next one will be the Call of the Wild expansion… finally!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

Hail the King in Yellow!

Cower to the fright and confusion wrought by Julian Glen!

Scream as you're attacked by his cat!

Laugh as you throw his cat at others!

#3 thecoldwarrior

thecoldwarrior

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

I swear I just looked today and nothing. Thanks for posting though or I would not have seen this for a week.

Not sure if Im willing to try the Pod stuff yet. Guess I can wait and see what the guinea pigs ..I mean test subjects…I mean people here have to say about the story.

#4 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

thecoldwarrior said:

Not sure if Im willing to try the Pod stuff yet. Guess I can wait and see what the guinea pigs ..I mean test subjects…I mean people here have to say about the story.

Word on the thread on BGG is that (from someone who has played it 20+ times) this is the best scenario to date.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#5 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

Dam said:

Word on the thread on BGG is that (from someone who has played it 20+ times) this is the best scenario to date.

Better than all official ones, that is not such a title of glory. Better than the best fan-made ones, this will be trickier ;-)

Anyway, that is an excellent news. I am really into Chambers (and others who followed) these days.

Mansions of Madness, Esoteric Order of Dagon

Play Arkham Horror with a Keeper

Variants for Arkham Horror

#6 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

amikezor said:

Better than all official ones, that is not such a title of glory. Better than the best fan-made ones, this will be trickier ;-)

Well, to me, there are only the official scenarios. I don't bother with homebrews.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#7 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:43 AM

Yes, I know that some people have that kind of feeling. Though it is hard for me to understand the logic (absolutely no offence is meant :-). I mean in life in general, I suspect you would agree that most of knowledge, ingeniousity and spice belongs to non-official voices, right ? Why not in games ?

Especially in this game, looking at the votes (see my post on the ranking), it is absolutely clear that the best scenarios were home-brewed.

Anyway, I intend full respect to any mental scheme. Just trying to bend new corners.

#8 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:20 AM

amikezor said:

Yes, I know that some people have that kind of feeling. Though it is hard for me to understand the logic (absolutely no offence is meant :-). I mean in life in general, I suspect you would agree that most of knowledge, ingeniousity and spice belongs to non-official voices, right ? Why not in games ?

Especially in this game, looking at the votes (see my post on the ranking), it is absolutely clear that the best scenarios were home-brewed.

Anyway, I intend full respect to any mental scheme. Just trying to bend new corners.

I can't do anything but second Amikezor on this point. Most of the best stuff for many games I play was created by fans over the years. Often game designers have too many deadlines, too many things to take care of, too many pushes from the outside to be able to actually give their best on a single game for more than one very limited period of time. Most of Avi's or Amikezor's creations for AH were by far better than many of the official ones. So… trying a couple of games with something good and non-official should not be of any harm. Then, if one is not satisfied, could drop the thing and keep on playing with official things as before

Again, as per Amikezor, this is not meant to misrespect anyone's opinion

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#9 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

Some players find the official material canonical, so anything else is a compromise to integrity. Dam is one of those people. Solan is another.

I respect their positions. I will continue to create and utilize fan material to expand the boundaries of my games.

#10 thecoldwarrior

thecoldwarrior

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

Good to know!

Thats just it though. The Silver Tablet sounded and looked kool to me but then I hear otherwise. The Yellow Sign expansion sounds and looks kool also.

As for fan made scenarios I think we know where I stand on that issue (I like them). Just wish I had an easy way to produce a map of the tiles for my own scenarios.

#11 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

I liked Silver Tablet. I kind of enjoyed fixing the seeding errors. Also, I've only played it once, and one of the primary complaints levered against ST is that all the objectives are too similar.

While I did like Silver Tablet, I know that Yellow Sign is legitimately good, and will be enjoyed by all. The objectives are as different as can be.

#12 amikezor

amikezor

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

Well about the silver tablet, there was two main things that I did not like

1/ the story unfolding is very very poor and makes no sense as it is

2/ a large part of the map is never explored whatever are the choices of the keeper. Most of the titles are never seeded with interesting stuff. 

@thecoldwarrior : You want to create new tiles ? I may be able you on that point (either create them of find someone who could) : see here.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS