Kamikaze Piloting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jabberwoky

jabberwoky

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

The set-up: A group I am DMing is attempting to acquire a smuggling ring that runs out of a space station.  They have already captured the smuggler's flagship (a frigate) and are attempting to take over the space station.  The frigate in question has had its bridge and void drive damaged and its life sustainer destroyed, and has a good amount of hull damage.  Simply put, it's a fixer-upper.

However, the void-master character has a plan: use the plasma engines to make the frigate into a missile, and drive the ship into the station, and teleport away (the groups original ship as a teleportarium).  I have a few questions as to this plan:

1. A frigate is a huge ship, and having only one person run the ship seems… impossible.  Is there a minimum number of crew needed to make a ship function?
  2. Assuming that there needs to be a crew to pilot the thing, is it okay if the crew wears void suits to protect them from the lack of oxygen?
  3. Supposing the plan does work, would the station be completely destroyed, or still useable afterwards?

#2 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

jabberwoky said:

1.  A frigate is a huge ship, and having only one person run the ship seems… impossible.  Is there a minimum number of crew needed to make a ship function?

Pg 224, RT Core Rulebook.  Doesn't explicitly state a minimum required crew, but the last passage of "0" crew does explain that "ship cannot operate again without some crew to run it."  I took this as to meaning for long term care and travel.  A short 1 hr trip to ram the ship into a space station would probably only need around 3-6 people.  Most on the bridge doing navigation, sensors, and steering, while the others possibly in the engine/plasma room.

jabberwoky said:

2.  Assuming that there needs to be a crew to pilot the thing, is it okay if the crew wears void suits to protect them from the lack of oxygen?

Yes, that is logically reasonable since the ship lacks life support.

jabberwoky said:

3.  Supposing the plan does work, would the station be completely destroyed, or still useable afterwards?

Refer to "Ramming and Boarding Actions" on pg 215, RT, and see how much damage it takes.

Now, if the PC's are setting the Plasma core to explode, then also refer to pg. 222, RT, in Table 8-12: Critical Hits, with "Plasma Drive Explosion."  And since it's point black, I would rule that all 5 hits happen, with no shield protection, and possible only half armour or +5 damage per roll depending on how well the Frigate rammed/lodged itself into the Space Station.  As a side note, this option would probably destroy the Space Station, depending on how big it is.  Or atleast damage the hull integrity of the Space Station so much as to make it uninhabitable.  Hope all this was helpful.

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS