Expansion Wave 2: [Piciture Heavy]

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 AncientAngel

AncientAngel

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

Since I was at the FFG Event Center last night getting in a few games of X-wing in. I noticed the display case off in the corner and I thought to my self, why? Why in the world has FFG not posted close up shots of their next expansion. So I took a few shots, so the rest of the X-wing forum gang can get a better sneak peek of what is coming next.

Let me say this, I have never been a fan of the A-wing. Looking at the one on display, I can honestly say I have had a change of heart. It is a very clean and crisp design and much bigger in size than I thought. When you look at the pictures, I took them all at as close to the same distance as the others. You need to pay close attention to the size of the base of the Fire spray / Slave 1. The size of this ship is huge compared to what we currently have in the game. The base of the Fire Spray / Slave 1 by my estimation could fit close to 4 of your standard bases. The detail on the aft side is just as good as what you see in the picture. The Tie Interceptor looks as good as I was expecting.

#2 Qapla187

Qapla187

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

Very nice, Slave 1 looks gorgeous. Can't wait to have one and zoom around blowing up those pesky Rebels. Just one question, where is the Falcon?

:>¡<: X-wing x6, Y-wing x3, TIE Fighter x6, TIE Advanced x3, A-wing x4, YT-1300 x2, TIE Interceptor x9,
Firespray-31 x3, B-wing x4, HWK-290 x2, TIE Bomber x6, Lambda Shuttle x2, E-wing x3, Z-95 x4, TIE Defender x3, TIE Phantom x2, GR-75 x2, CR-90 x1

Perish quickly you will, if without Push, an A-wing you fly.

#3 Dead-Pool

Dead-Pool

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

They look great, thanks for sharing :D 

#4 AncientAngel

AncientAngel

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

Qapla187 said:

Very nice, Slave 1 looks gorgeous. Can't wait to have one and zoom around blowing up those pesky Rebels. Just one question, where is the Falcon?

The Falcon was not in the display case last night. Since this was my first visit to the FFG Event Center, I do not know if it was displayed prior to this.

#5 Zoso

Zoso

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

I can't wait to get my hands on these! I feel like a kid again, waiting for Christmas. I remember before I had the Millenium Falcon toy, I would use a round throw pillow (for the body) and a flashlight (for the cockpit section)  together and "fly" it around the house dodging asteroids. Good times. Too bad adulthood had to come along and screw it up…

#6 Rollins

Rollins

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

Oh thats strange because the Falcon was up there at one point.. and it looks really cool.

GGs last night..

#7 crimzonteerz

crimzonteerz

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

Zoso said:

I can't wait to get my hands on these! I feel like a kid again, waiting for Christmas. I remember before I had the Millenium Falcon toy, I would use a round throw pillow (for the body) and a flashlight (for the cockpit section)  together and "fly" it around the house dodging asteroids. Good times. Too bad adulthood had to come along and screw it up…

Ha ha! That's great.

#8 Harleequin

Harleequin

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

Literally drooling all over my keyboard for the Slave 1 and interceptor.

For those of you at the center, did any of you mind asking if they have an estimated date of release?

#9 Znapperhead

Znapperhead

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:38 AM

Will it be possible to have groiunded units? Like At-ats and such…

#10 bullyboy

bullyboy

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:55 AM

surprised the A wing is still $15. Expected the falcon and Slave to be more, but figured the A Wing would be a little cheaper being such a small ship. I realize that most of the cost is not for the model, but the larger ones are in fact twice as much as the others.

#11 winters_night

winters_night

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:45 AM

bullyboy said:

surprised the A wing is still $15. Expected the falcon and Slave to be more, but figured the A Wing would be a little cheaper being such a small ship. I realize that most of the cost is not for the model, but the larger ones are in fact twice as much as the others.

Well yeah, is to be expected they (companies) don't tend to charge less when they have a pricing structure, but will always charge more for a larger model.

#12 Harleequin

Harleequin

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:27 AM

Znapperhead said:

Will it be possible to have groiunded units? Like At-ats and such…

Perhaps, first they just need to make a flying version of the AT-AT that goes through space though.

#13 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:32 AM

There's probably a few-cent difference in the production costs of an A-Wing and TIE Advanced.

I think it'd be pretty easy to add snowspeeders, AT-ATs and AT-STs with no rules changes.

AT-AT = 3.15" / 72mm tall
AT-ST = 1.2" / 30mm tall

Well within comfort range for this game. I'd be surprised if we didn't get them.

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#14 bayruun

bayruun

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

I'd like to see ground units. I don't think they're unreasonable at all for this game, since it's fairly abstract anyways and ground attack is an important part of air superiority. Other games, such as Aeronautica Imperialis, mix the two quite well.

I'm very interested in making an Interceptor-heavy Imperial squad. TIEs as distractions with Interceptors as hunters.

"Some goals are so worthy it is glorious even to fail."

#15 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

bayruun said:

I'd like to see ground units. I don't think they're unreasonable at all for this game, since it's fairly abstract anyways and ground attack is an important part of air superiority. Other games, such as Aeronautica Imperialis, mix the two quite well.

I'm very interested in making an Interceptor-heavy Imperial squad. TIEs as distractions with Interceptors as hunters.

I'd love to see a Hoth variation.

#16 Harleequin

Harleequin

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

I was kidding lol.

This game really can't implement the two together. To have the X-Wing and an AT-AT on the same board would also assume the X-wing is very low to the ground, after you add ground ships you need to start adding foot soldiers as well, which would be ridiculously small. Also the entire point of this game is space battles. Not in air battles against ground units on Hoth.

Granted the Hoth variation a user above me stated would probably be pretty fun, you most likely wouldn't be able to use traditional space craft such as X-wing, Y-Wing, or TIEs. They don't fit the same atmosphere. The same reason you didn't really see many (if any) on the battle of Hoth.

Adding in ground units would also mess up the speed factor of the game itself. An At-At can move 1 forward MAYBE by the time an X-wing can move 5 Forward, if that. Speeders would only work in games that you use AT-AT anyway, and if your opponent chose to put in AT-AT, the only way to defeat them is with a speeder, so Imperial vs Imperial in tournament with AT-AT would never end.

#17 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

Troops would be 6mm, an established war gaming scale. I would love a 6mm ground wargame (as a separate entity)! That would be awesome!

#18 bayruun

bayruun

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

I absolutely love 6mm ground games.

Mixing air and ground would be awkward, admittedly, but having a massed battle game at 6mm in the Star Wars universe would be cool. Unlikely, but cool.

"Some goals are so worthy it is glorious even to fail."

#19 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

I'm sure infantry units could be represented by tokens.

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#20 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

The rogue squadron games had Y-Wings, X-Wings, TIEs, TIE Interceptors, Landspeeders (same as Snowspeeders), Fixed guns, 3 Types of Walkers, Infantry for both sides, Movable guns, and Big ships all in one mission. It would be doable.

Though, a Hoth mission would have a shield generator, speeders, AT-ATs, AT-STs, Ion Cannons, Atgar guns. Ground forces could be tokens, except for the stray Luke who would be equipped with grenades and a lightsaber. He would never miss, but he would have a hard time catching up to walkers on foot.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS