• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Theurer

Mark Theurer

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

Hi all,

For those with the base set and the individual Tie and X-Wing packs, do you get the same cards (pilots and whatnot) and bits in the base set that you get in the individual ship packs or do you have to pick up the individual packs if you want pilots and things that are not part of the base set?  Just trying to plan purchases to get the most ships but not wanting to be losing out on content.

thanks,

Mark

#2 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:57 AM

The expansions have different unique pilots and upgrades from the Core Set.

Roy

#3 Mark Theurer

Mark Theurer

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:00 AM

Thanks! 

Mark

#4 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

A lot of us have bought multiple core sets to economically pad our forces while grabbing 1 of each of the expansions to get all of the available options.  After you get some games under your belt, then you can decide if you want more of the expansions or not.  Eventually I will probably buy 2 of each expansion so i have pairs of the Ys and TIE Adv, and doubles of the generic droids and some of the upgrade cards that are unique to the expansions.  but probably not until after I load up on the second wave.

-DavicusPrime

#5 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

I guess, technically, to be able to use "everything", I would say go ahead and get one of everything to start.  That way, you have a full set of every pilot card and upgrade.  From there, you'll need to take a peek at how many unique pilots there are for each ship, and acquire the appropriate number of ships.

So once you have a copy of the Core Set, and one of each expansion ship, and thus have all the pilot cards, you would need to additionally get;

2 X-Wings

1 Y-Wing

1 TIE Advanced

4 TIE Fighters

Now, the economical "next step" is make another Core Set purchase.  You'll get another X-Wing and 2 TIE Fighters, but more usefully, extra dice that you will most definitely get better gameplay from.  The extra templates and damage deck go to your opponent to smooth out more gameplay.

From there, I'd say make the final X-Wing purchase come from the expansion, so you get the extra non-unique cards.

I would also stick to the TIE Fighter expansions, rather than scoring a third Core Set, because those Swarm Tactics and Determination cards can be used by both factions easily, and expand your options that much more.

So, total shopping list, if you want a decent mix of options, and the ability to play all the unique pilots at once, if you felt so inclined, it buy 2 of everything.

It will be interesting, thematically, when the Millenium Falcon pack comes out.  If there's are "Lando in Falcon" and "Han in Falcon" pilot cards, it a roundabout way, you're having cloned ships flying around in one match.  I wonder if there will be a workaround, like the unique symbol goes on both "Han Solo" and "Millenium Falcon", so if you wanted a fleet of that ship, it would be the Falcon and some generics.

I think Slave I will be easier, as I can't see Boba Fett and Jango Fett both being represented, so it'll probably be Boba and 3 other "non-Slave I" pilots of Firespray ships.

#6 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

cleardave said:

I guess, technically, to be able to use "everything", I would say go ahead and get one of everything to start.  That way, you have a full set of every pilot card and upgrade.  From there, you'll need to take a peek at how many unique pilots there are for each ship, and acquire the appropriate number of ships.

Why would you need to be able to play every Unique pilot at the same time?  Getting all the options allows you to try every combo available is the point.  But I guess the OP can clairify that.

-DavicusPrime

#7 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

DavicusPrime said:

Why would you need to be able to play every Unique pilot at the same time?  Getting all the options allows you to try every combo available is the point.  But I guess the OP can clairify that.

-DavicusPrime

Playing every unique pilot at the same time is, by definition, one combination of play you can go with, which is what I was getting at.  I don't personally have a desire to do that, but I'm sure i will at some point, just for the fun of it.  I was just providing the extreme case.  Also, it's doable just by getting 2 of each expansion and 2 Core Sets, which it seems a lot of people seem to be gravitating towards.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS