Photo

With ships like this, there's no way the Rebellion could have won!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:07 AM

The first day I opened my core set, I was extremely disappointed at the quality of my X-wing miniature. The TIEs were fine, but my X-wing had twisted cannons and engines pointing in various directions. I took one look at that ship and exclaimed, "If the Rebels had flown ships like this, there's no way the Rebellion could have won against the Empire!" Granted, had I assembled and painted the miniatures myself it would have looked even worse.

Later I opened my Y-wing and found that the plastic base glued to the ship was crooked so my Y-wing is facing about 15 degrees to the left of the front of the stand.

I've since gotten over my disappointment, but I got to thinking, "I wonder what other anomalous ships are out there." So the purpose of this thread is not to bash FFG or complain about the quality of the miniatures (unless it's in really bad shape!). Instead, I'm just curious what variations exist out there in the overall quality of the ships. If you've got an interesting mutant ship, I'd love to hear about it! If you've got pictures, even better! I'll try to take photos of my ships and get them posted.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#2 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:23 AM

I got mostly good ones.  The only issues were some bent gun barrels on my Xs and several of my ships weren't quite straight.  Both issues were solved by a little careful tweaking.  Sorry you got a messed up one.

-DavicusPrime

#3 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:25 AM

DavicusPrime said:

I got mostly good ones.  The only issues were some bent gun barrels on my Xs and several of my ships weren't quite straight.  Both issues were solved by a little careful tweaking.  Sorry you got a messed up one.

-DavicusPrime

No worries. Like I said, there's no way I could have done better, and I'm sure my imperfections are minor compared to some out there. I'm just really curious what the worst-model looks like.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#4 kmanweiss

kmanweiss

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:03 AM

I noticed the engines on my X-wings were all a little 'off' from where I would think they should be.  Also, all 4 of my X-Wings are about 5-10% off level (peg inserted at an angle), with all of them leaning to the left (all apparently trained by Han to list lazily to the left).  Nothing noticably wrong with any of my Ties.  Haven't really looked at my Tie advanced or Y-Wings yet though.

Pretty minor defects really and only noticable if I hold them right up close to my eyes.  On the game table I'd never notice it.

#5 ThadiusCole

ThadiusCole

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:07 AM

I got the starter set and found my X-Wing to be slightly tilted to the left so it looks like its banking.  Guess I got lucky with the quality on this one, but no doubt when I get my Y-Wing and TIE Advanced one will be a little sloppy.

#6 Lukez

Lukez

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:08 AM

DavicusPrime said:

-DavicusPrime

My Y-Wing's engines are a little off, what did you do to tweak yours?

Thanks,

Luke

#7 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:13 AM

Just did a little corrective bending…  Nothing special.  A little displacement isn't worth breaking the model though.

-DavicusPrime

#8 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:15 AM

The biggest issue I have seen was on one of my friend's Y-wings.  The peg in the bottom was put in 180 degrees off.  So when set up, it faces the opposite direction from where it is supposed to.  At first we though that his son inserted one of the pegs wrong.  But when closely examined it we realized that it was the ship that caused the problem.  Its easily fixed by rotating the ship token in the other direction, but it is a little frustrating,

Roy

#9 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:17 AM

drkjedi35 said:

The biggest issue I have seen was on one of my friend's Y-wings.  The peg in the bottom was put in 180 degrees off.  So when set up, it faces the opposite direction from where it is supposed to.  At first we though that his son inserted one of the pegs wrong.  But when closely examined it we realized that it was the ship that caused the problem.  Its easily fixed by rotating the ship token in the other direction, but it is a little frustrating,

Roy

Whoa! That one wins so far.

--Count Dooku

#10 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

One of my Tie-Fighters doesn't face straight forward and one of my Y-Wing's engines is off kilter and point slightly downward. The only one that really worries me is the TIE Advanced. It's very difficult to remove the peg from that model because of the tightness of the wings. Overall, I'm concerned about how difficult it is to take the pegs out of the ships. I already decided to leave the peg in one X-Wing as I am worried that the peg stub is going to come out of the ship.

#11 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:30 AM

My X-Wing has TIE Fighter wings.

#12 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:34 AM

qwertyuiop said:

That sounds ugly! . . . get it? Get it? . . . . . . . . I'll keep my day job.

Wait, you weren't be serious, right?

--Count Dooku

#13 Qapla187

Qapla187

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:36 AM

qwertyuiop said:

Pics or it didn't happen.

#14 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

qwertyuiop said:

Funny, because I got a TIE fighter with X-Wing wings. The card had attack, defend, and hull of a TIE, but the shields and special ability an X-Wing.  I think they may be on to something.

4 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  2 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  2 HWK-290

8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 2 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle

#15 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

Budgernaut said:

qwertyuiop said:

That sounds ugly! . . . get it? Get it? . . . . . . . . I'll keep my day job.

Wait, you weren't be serious, right?

Of course I wasn't serious. This game isn't ready for TIE Uglies!

#16 Doc Savage

Doc Savage

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

As you can see, my starter set X-Wing came with a battle damaged engine…

Visit DocSavageTales.blogspot.com for cool stuff!

#17 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

All my ships are slightly angled to the left. Weird. I have some bent X-wing cannons and thrusters, but nothing big.

Yeah, I'm a little worried about removing the pegs from the TIE Advanced sometimes, but I've found a way to work it.

#18 Harleequin

Harleequin

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

One of my TIE Advanced, and TIE Fighters are, well probably everyone on this forum knows by know! Banking to the left slightly. It is very annoying for me, and I almost refuse to use those ships. Part of me wants to email / call FFG for an exchange, but the other part is saying to myself not to because it's a new game and if everyone is doing that they could start losing business or something or other, I'm not really sure I feel bad about returning stuff lol, but my OCD still says it's annoying the crap out of me, and I'm scared I'll break it and be liable if I try to fix it. I do believe for the price you pay you deserve good quality, anyone know their support email? I do think as loyal fans we deserve the ships we pay for.

#19 Hellfury

Hellfury

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

Harleequin said:

One of my TIE Advanced, and TIE Fighters are, well probably everyone on this forum knows by know! Banking to the left slightly. It is very annoying for me, and I almost refuse to use those ships. Part of me wants to email / call FFG for an exchange, but the other part is saying to myself not to because it's a new game and if everyone is doing that they could start losing business or something or other, I'm not really sure I feel bad about returning stuff lol, but my OCD still says it's annoying the crap out of me, and I'm scared I'll break it and be liable if I try to fix it. I do believe for the price you pay you deserve good quality, anyone know their support email? I do think as loyal fans we deserve the ships we pay for.

Man. I know we pay a lot of money for our toys, but if a model is just slightly off kilter, it cant be THAT big of a deal. If you recognize that it is your OCD kicking it up that far, then you may also realize that unless you have an actual issue with the game components, entitlement will only get you so far.

I recommend breathing exercises. Greet the day with a breath of fire and put a smile on your face.

#20 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

herozeromes said:

Overall, I'm concerned about how difficult it is to take the pegs out of the ships. I already decided to leave the peg in one X-Wing as I am worried that the peg stub is going to come out of the ship.

I agree with that … one of my TIE Advanced stubs actually did come out yesterday. Easy to put it back in, but I'm concerned that some better-glued ones might break. I'll do one of two things: Always have little needle-nose pliers with the game for removing the pegs, or modding the storage inserts to allow for the pegs to remain in there.

Leaning towards the pliers right now.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS