Hand-to-Hand Combat Questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jarsen

jarsen

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:44 AM

1) Shooting in close combat. My understanding is that you can't. To me this makes sense—coming from a WH40k wargaming background I was always under the impression that shooting was factored into the close combat rolls and for example having a pistol counts as a second close combat weapons so you get +1 attacks. The problem is several people in the party are wanting to try and make point blank shots during melee, and when I tell them they can't and need to disengage I'm having a difficult time explaining to them why they need to do that. And then they disengage (for a full round) and of course as the GM, I'm like uh, what would this guy do… and so he steps forward and re-engages in close quarters combat. what do you guys think? do any of you play with house rules that let people fire during close combat? Maybe provoking some sort of attack of opportunity or taking huge penalties? If not what's a good way to explain to my players why I'm not letting them do that?

2) Multiple attacks. In the wargaming game, having multiple close combat weapons gives you more attacks. In many other role playing games as you advance in level you gain more attacks per round. Is there such a thing in RT? Did I just read over it somehow

Thanks in advance!

#2 jarsen

jarsen

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:45 AM

Also, one more question.

3) drawing weapons in close combat. say you get engaged and you don't have your power sword out, does whipping it out provoke an attack of opportunity?

#3 Larkin

Larkin

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:47 AM

1) If you have a Pistol weapon, you certainly can shoot in close combat. That's their advantage over Basic weapons. You do not get the Point Blank bonus to hit, as that's reserved to minimal ranges but not in Melee.

2) You're looking at Semi and Full Auto rules along with TWo-Weapon fighting rules as well as Swift and Lightning Attack. The first two are in the combat mechanics section, the later three at in Talents.

3) No, it just eats up actions that could be used for something else. Most players will grab Quick Draw as well.

#4 jarsen

jarsen

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the response.

Larkin said:

1) If you have a Pistol weapon, you certainly can shoot in close combat. That's their advantage over Basic weapons. You do not get the Point Blank bonus to hit, as that's reserved to minimal ranges but not in Melee.

2) You're looking at Semi and Full Auto rules along with TWo-Weapon fighting rules as well as Swift and Lightning Attack. The first two are in the combat mechanics section, the later three at in Talents.

So, looking at two weapon wielder, if they want to shoot a pistol and hit with a close combat weapon they need two-weapon wielder (ballistic) and (melee)?

#5 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

Though if you really want to dual wield, you pretty much bust buy "Ambidextrous" which has by itself -20/-20 penalties for dual attacks (and with the dual talents, down to -10/-10), while just the dual talents are -20/-40 (main hand/off hand) if I recall

#6 Larkin

Larkin

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:14 AM

jarsen said:

Awesome! Thanks for the response.

Larkin said:

So, looking at two weapon wielder, if they want to shoot a pistol and hit with a close combat weapon they need two-weapon wielder (ballistic) and (melee)?

You don't have to have those talents, but the penalties are pretty harsh. Ambi, and both Two-weapons are a good idea if you want go Pistol and Melee in combat. There's even a talent in BC designed specificaly for that that you might want to port over.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS