Developing Talents and Skills

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jarsen

jarsen

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:16 AM

So our party has finished our first endeavor. Yay! Anyway, I'm finally about to award experience points, but I've had a little confusion.

When you look at the level 1 options for each character, several of the talents and skills listed as starting skills are repeated under level 1. does that mean they can take it again but for a +10? It doesn't seem like it because I think I've seen a couple skills listed under other levels as a "+10" advance. Or maybe we did it wrong and the starting skills were not supposed to start out as trained? Which also would seem a little weird as well, seeing as that even a level 1 PC is supposed to be experienced.

Also, if you happen to gain a talent multiple times (say Peer X-group), do you stack? For example maybe someone's origin path gave them a certain talent, and they have the option to purchase it at a later level. This wouldn't make sense obviously for some talents (like light sleeper), but maybe for some of the other ones.

#2 Larkin

Larkin

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:53 AM

No, you did it right at character creation. The talents and skills are listed again due to alternate ranks. They basically just flesh out a system that FFG really didn't do enough with. If your players want +10 in skills, they need to buy that skill at +10, which is usually later on in the advance tables.

Same Talent multiple times is your call. Peer stacking isn't so bad (in fact that's how they did it in BC) but you may want to give additional options, such as Talented (Any Trained Skill). That seems to work out pretty well.

If they can purchase it later and it's not just given to them though, they simply can't buy it from thier advance scheme.

#3 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:44 AM

jarsen said:

So our party has finished our first endeavor. Yay! Anyway, I'm finally about to award experience points, but I've had a little confusion.

When you look at the level 1 options for each character, several of the talents and skills listed as starting skills are repeated under level 1. does that mean they can take it again but for a +10? It doesn't seem like it because I think I've seen a couple skills listed under other levels as a "+10" advance. Or maybe we did it wrong and the starting skills were not supposed to start out as trained? Which also would seem a little weird as well, seeing as that even a level 1 PC is supposed to be experienced.

Also, if you happen to gain a talent multiple times (say Peer X-group), do you stack? For example maybe someone's origin path gave them a certain talent, and they have the option to purchase it at a later level. This wouldn't make sense obviously for some talents (like light sleeper), but maybe for some of the other ones.

First of all, congratulations! :D

I don't remember where in the Core Rulebook the first issue is addressed, but it is. Basically, the list of  first rank-advances re-lists all the advances you got on Rank 1 in your career. So if an Explorator starts with Common Lore (Tech), he will also have Common Lore (Tech) amongst his Rank 1 advances. This is normal, but it is important to point out that you can not take these advances. They are re-listed for the purposes of Alternate Careers and Elite Advances, even though Rogue Trader so far doesn't have any Alternate Careers that actually replace the first rank Skill or Talent load-out.

They will have to take the +10 Skill Advances, or +20 at a later point (they have to take the former before the latter). However, remember that if you get multiple instances of the same skill on creation, they stack for the purpose of Skill Mastery. So if they get Common Lore (Tech) from their Origin Path, and then get Common Lore (Tech) from their career, they will start with both Common Lore (Tech) and Common Lore (Tech) +10.

When it comes to gaining multiple instances of Peer (or ANY talent) on creation, you may elect to trade the second instance (or third, whatever) for Talented (any). This is incredibly useful, considering that the "Talented" group of talents usually comes pretty late in careers, and adds +10 to the relevant skill check. Peer by itself does not stack. You can have multiple kinds of peers, but you cannot have Peer (Imperial Guard) twice. The next step would be "Good Reputation (Imperial Guard)", but there is technically nothing preventing you from having Good Reputation before you have Peer, and so on.

But they don't stack.

Also, as of Into the Storm, you can also choose to lower the cost of an Origin Path pick by 50xp when you get multiple instances of a skill or talent. This is a sucker's choice. Don't do it. Ever.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#4 jarsen

jarsen

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

Perfect. That clears a lot up. Thanks guys!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS