Photo

So if FFG keeps supporting WFRPG, PODs yes or no?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

Yesteday I got to the conclussion that PODs, as they are now, suck.

There have been three PODs so far name Bright Order Spells, Sigmar and Shallya spells. I don't even count Dread Fleet Captains to avoid embarrassing FFG, since it is a product that any fan can do with Strange Eons, a bag of chips and 2 hours of free time.

So, three PODs 7 $/€ each plus shipping costs

If FFG keeps supporting WFRPG, I would asume that they will end up releasing a POD for each religion (9 in total) and each Order (8 in total) and I won't take into account other forms of magic like Runes, Hedge, Waaaaaagh, Skaven, Dark etc etc.

Then, to buy these PODs will cost a minimum minimu of 49 dollar for the Priest spells and 49 more dollar for the Wizard spells (without any shipping cost, thing which is never going to happen).

For these prices you better release box with the spells (play tested, if it is not too much to ask for) and most important! with books containing background information or adventures or something! this is a role play game FGS!! bakground or fluf or whatever is called, adventures, maps… are important things.

Another box with spells for bad guys until rank 5 (call it Creature Guide II) won't hurt neither. Specially if taking the opportunity, FFG fix the mess done so far with creatures and actions.

As a side note the game has so far around 1000 action cards (NPC and PC) only with the other spells I mentioned above we will go up to 1210!!!! We are still far away from Magic the Gathering which has something like 15,000 cards, but we are younger! go go go go

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#2 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:14 AM

That's tricky.

I agree with you that a box is more value than POD's.  PODs come faster so it's a question of willpower for delayed gratification.

PODs have niche value if "you only want x and not y" for your table.  However, I'm a completionist likely to buy all PODs.  I have a background in economics and know the human urge for short term gain is the road to ruin so I vote box approach.

That doesn't mean no PODs, if something ends up "orphaned" as in "20 cards whose theme it turns out doesn't fit in any box in production schedule for next year", then "POD them" in that case.

#3 stormofswords

stormofswords

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:18 AM

If the POD releases were on a consistent schedule, say once per month or even bi-monthly, then I'd say POD. Yes, in the long run more expensive than buying a box, but less upfront money - and that might be best right now. But, as the timing of the releases are now, then yeah, themed box with some bonus (fluff, an adventure, something - but no more chits!).

-My 2.

#4 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:04 AM

PODs are probably better.

I say this because with PODs you can buy what you want/need.  If your group has a priest of sigmar, then you have no need to buy additional shallyan spells. If they were all crammed into a "priest" expansion, then you'd need to buy a lot of extra unusable stuff.

Sure, from a completionist POV, it will end up more expensive. However, PODs give groups flexibility. Additionally, a single POD is easily purchaseable by the player if they desire those extra spells.  A big box expansion of priest spells is less likely to be purchased by the player, and more by the completionist GM.

So, personally, even as a completionist GM, I'd rather have PODs that I can pick up whenever desired/needed, at a lower cost per (so they can be spread out), rather than a single big box expansion.

#5 Crazy Aido

Crazy Aido

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:31 PM

I would actually like to see a few more pods, but I'd be happier if they branched out a bit and launched a few to cater for less mainstream careers, or maybe the specific misfits that are really fun to play but lack a few more specific actions that are all about the fun. Ratcatcher and Swordmaster are the first to spring to mind. Also, some equipment POD's would be great.

#6 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

I'd like to see them broken down into the following categories (if we have to continue with POD):

Rogue-like

Combat

Social

Wilderness

Racial

Urban

Psionic & Gnomes (just kidding)

jh

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS