Good Squad

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pitsch

pitsch

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

I have the core set and all the expansions. Whats a good squad and upgrades to use in a 100pt game?

3 Tie Fighters

2 X-Wings

3 Y-Wings

2 Tie Advanced

As well as all the expansions and core set pilots and upgrades

Wave 5 ships are up for Pre Order!
http://www.spinninginspace.com/
Anyone in Virginia, DC, MD
https://www.facebook...vaXWingSquadron

#2 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

Reb or Imp?

-DavicusPrime

#3 pitsch

pitsch

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

both, i want to have a Imp and Reb squad ready

Wave 5 ships are up for Pre Order!
http://www.spinninginspace.com/
Anyone in Virginia, DC, MD
https://www.facebook...vaXWingSquadron

#4 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

I dunno. Horton Salm, Luke Skywalker, and Wedge? 2x Torpedoes, Ion Cannon, and.. whatever other upgrades you can afford for the remaining 5 points. Load Salm with all the guns n' bombs.

And as far as Imperials go… Eh.. Vader with Squad Leader, the 23 point Tie Advanced, concussion missiles, Mauler Mithel, Academy Pilot, Obsidian Pilot.

Beats me. I've only played as high as 60 points.

#5 Magnus3740

Magnus3740

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:23 AM

If you only have one base set and one of each expansion, then you should try playing 60 - 75 point games and see which vehicles you like.  Then buy more of those.

#6 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:59 AM

For Imps:

• Maarek Stele + Concussion Missiles + Swarm Tactics = 33
  • Tempest Squadron Pilot = Concussion Missiles = 25
  • Backstabber = 16
  • Obsidian Squadron Pilot = 13
  • Obsidian Squadron Pilot = 13

This would use all your ships and get you to 100pts.  Maarek can give someone with him the skill boost in the shooting phase.  The TIEs and TIE Adv form two separate attack groups that should be working to catch rebs in a cross fire between the two groups.  The Concussion missiles could easily be a nice opening shot to soften the rebs up.  if they can focus in on the same target you may be able to get a first shot kill.

You have an odd selection of Reb Ships.  I would suggest one of two options:

• 1x Y and 2x X.  ALWAYS take an I-Cannon if you take a Y-Wing.  And go for droids before you go for Torps.  Droids will serve you through out the game vs. the once per torp.

Or

• 2x Y and 2x X.  You'd have to take Yellow Squadies and Rookies/Red Squadies to leave yourself some points to spend on I-Cannons and Droids.  Less potent pilots but more models to counter swarms. 

You've got to pull out your stuff and try things out for yourself.  This isn't so complicated a game nor such a chess match that list building makes or breaks your game.  Find your style and build the list to match.  Swarms are hard for Elite rebels to beat, but those elites have the potential of cutting the Imps down to size such that if they make it through the first few rounds, the odds turn even pretty quick.  And the calculations change dramatically based on your maneuvers and the fickleness of the dice.

-DavicusPrime

#7 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:16 AM

I love the idea of Biggs, Dutch, and Garven teaming up, with all ships fully decked out.

Biggs Darklighter:
R2-F2
Proton Torpedoes

Garven Dreis:
Proton Torpedoes

"Dutch" Vander:
R5-K6
Ion Cannon Turret
Proton Torpedoes 2x

I haven't tried this squad, but I really want to. Biggs needs to use R2-F2's action every round so he gets an extra defense die. Dutch will acquire target locks, allowing Garven to get target locks. Garven focuses, but attacks before Dutch to give Dutch his focus token. This allows Dutch and Garven to fire proton torpedoes with a focus token during the first volley. Biggs should concentrate on being in a position to be targeted so he can take hits instead of the other two pilots.

This squad has some great synergy, but it's really hard to pull off. Still, I think it would be a fun one to try out, especially if it worked!

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#8 Tawnos

Tawnos

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:40 AM

Budgernaut said:

I love the idea of Biggs, Dutch, and Garven teaming up, with all ships fully decked out.

Biggs Darklighter:
R2-F2
Proton Torpedoes

Garven Dreis:
Proton Torpedoes

"Dutch" Vander:
R5-K6
Ion Cannon Turret
Proton Torpedoes 2x

I haven't tried this squad, but I really want to. Biggs needs to use R2-F2's action every round so he gets an extra defense die. Dutch will acquire target locks, allowing Garven to get target locks. Garven focuses, but attacks before Dutch to give Dutch his focus token. This allows Dutch and Garven to fire proton torpedoes with a focus token during the first volley. Biggs should concentrate on being in a position to be targeted so he can take hits instead of the other two pilots.

This squad has some great synergy, but it's really hard to pull off. Still, I think it would be a fun one to try out, especially if it worked!

I've tried it (though with R2-D2 instead of R2-F2), and let me tell you, it really unravels once Biggs is out of the picture.  Though, in the game in question, Biggs got rolled in round 2.

#9 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:43 AM

R2-F2 has become my favorite Upgrade card for the rebs.  Wish it wasn't unique.  Hadn't really thought about how it might help Biggs.  I think I'm going to have to try that combo out next game.

I haven't tried using the Dutch/Garven combo out yet though I've been aware of it for a while now.  Mostly it's because I like keeping my Xs together and letting the Y circle around and harass the TIEs.  I've found that I do this same thing with TIE's and my TIE-Adv…  I guess I don't like mixing different ship types.  I might need some kind of recovery group to get over that little mental hang up.

Me: Hi, my name is Dave, and I have trouble mixing my Xs with my Ys.

Group: Hi Dave.

-DavicusPrime

#10 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

I tried it in a 70 point setup without Biggs. It didn't work, but I felt a lot of that had to do with Nightbeast's ability (can't use target locks and focuses) and Mauler Mithel being equipped with Expert Handling to remove target locks. So once my torpedoes were fired, we couldn't hit the Imps very well.

So this is basically one of my favorite paper squads, as in, it looks great on paper, but doesn't hold up well in combat. But still, I want to give it another go to see if I can't make it work.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#11 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:56 AM

My favorite ship/upgrade combo right now is Wedge+R2-F2.  But R2-F2 goes well with any of the X-wing pilots.  3 Agility dice beats taking a focus most of the time for me.

Best Imp Combo is Vader+any missile+Squad Leader.  It's more than a third of your points but vader is the best man for Sqd Ldr as he gets to take an action AND give one away.

Fun and ecomonical combos:

Tempest Sqdron Pilot + Concussion missiles.  Let some higher skilled TIE's knock down the shields and let the new guy in the TIE-Adv try to pop the now softened target.

Yellow Squadron Pilot + I-Cannon + R2 Astromech.  It lets your Y fly more like an X and get rid of those stress tokens easier and the I-Cannon is never wasted.

Mix and match as able.

-DavicusPrime

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS