Solace Encarmine - what is it?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Darkheyr

Darkheyr

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

Could anyone shed some light on Solace Encarmine? According to the Koronus map, it is a pleasure world; oddly enough.

However,  Into the Storm lists the name under the Frontier World origin, so I wonder if that was a colouring mistake. Then again - it is the only pleasure world on the map, so if its something else, why list it?

Has there been any official word on that discrepancy? Or maybe a book with some details on the world that I missed?

#2 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:32 PM

Darkheyr said:

Could anyone shed some light on Solace Encarmine? According to the Koronus map, it is a pleasure world; oddly enough.

However,  Into the Storm lists the name under the Frontier World origin, so I wonder if that was a colouring mistake. Then again - it is the only pleasure world on the map, so if its something else, why list it?

Has there been any official word on that discrepancy? Or maybe a book with some details on the world that I missed?

I wouldn't really call it a discrepancy; There's nothing preventing it from being both.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#3 Darkheyr

Darkheyr

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:19 AM

Well, if a pleasure world is a subset of the civilised world, we are looking at a population of 15 millions and up. Doesn't really overlap much with the concept of a frontier world, I think. One evokes a paradise with a lively, sizeable city and otherwise untouched nature, the other is more wild west / fresh colony in my mind.

I mean, I could easily make it one or the other, or put it right at the point where the administratum would consider changing its classification. I just doubt that this was the intention, hence my question.

#4 Plynkes

Plynkes

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:17 AM

How about having two habitable planets in that system, one a well-established Pleasure World, the other a relatively newly-settled Frontier World?

Personally I think it is simply yet another case of FFG writers not reading what other FFG writers have previously written. We seem to get that a lot.

#5 Drhoz

Drhoz

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:44 AM

It starred the first episode of Season Two of my RT campaign - I described it as a very pleasant world, with dozens of small continents and a complicated biosphere, but so remote that it relies heavily on Navy ships on R&R stops, and Rogue Traders looking for somewhere to spend huge amounts of cash on a party, for income.

For example, while most of the crew were drinking themselves stupid in Solace Encarmine's only city, and the Seneschal had bribed the local authorities in advance to cover any property damage, and the tech-priest was watching the sun sink romantically over the Promethium Refinery, the ship's troubleshooter arranged for a team building exercise for the bridge officers. i.e. hire an air yacht, fly out to the far end of the archipelago, and blow large holes in the local megafauna.

#6 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:51 AM

Well, depending on the form the pleasure world takes, it's probably not going to be too populated, to preserve whatever makes the world so appealing (building cities to house millions of people, not to mention the industry and agriculture needed for them, isn't going to keep a world beautiful and pristine). It wouldn't surprise me if the place has continent size game preserves, because that's just how humanity rolls when it finds something it really likes

#7 Decessor

Decessor

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:31 AM

The group in my first Rogue Trader game decided to go to Solace Encarmine on a whim, so I declared the following:

1. Most of the planet has a stable, warm climate.

2. The natives are a contented bunch, but aren't slothful.

3. The reason for 2 is a local plant that fuels a massive drive to physical activity. Long distance running for example.

4. The natives have adapted to the plant so 'only' are effected to a point. Non-natives, well, the voidmaster ended up running around the ship for three days and doesn't remember too much of what he did… Others variously got hyper or died from heart failure.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS