My painted MoM minis

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thecoldwarrior

thecoldwarrior

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

Here is a pic of what I've gotten painted so far. Still a long way to go.

I have been pinting miniatures for a long while mostly for wargames. As a miniature painter I believe that the official ratio of backlog to painted is 10:1 so I'm waaaay ahead

I still can not decide if I'd like to base the monsters (sand or texture on the base). I have seen some and they look great. As you can see, I've painted the investigator bases but there is no texture.

I have my eye on the cultists next but that means nothing when it comes to a time line.

• GrandpaBob likes this

#2 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

Awesome awesome work! Love the bases!

#3 buhajbej

buhajbej

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:43 AM

Hi,

Nice job! I've just bought MoM, and I also want to paint my mins (but i'am no good at painting :) ). Can U shoot some close ups? Love to see details, and get some inspiration from U :)

#4 thecoldwarrior

thecoldwarrior

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

The first thing to do is decide not to glue the minis t the bases. Something I am fighting now. I wanted to play the game and knew nothing would be painted for a while. So I glued them down and I mean glued them down good. This resulted in me using masking tape which is tedious at best.

Next is primer which imo is a must and also why I masked. Just follow the instructions on the can (that means follow them not nod and do the opposite ). Also, for the love of all that is holy, mist the primer on DO NOT spray close looking for a solid coating. All you will do is fill in details and cause drips and runs. TBH I could go on and on about what to do and what not to do with a can of spray paint. If you don't know..ask someone. 

Painting miniatures is not an over night thing. My suggestion to beginners is to work on solid colors and clean lines. Several thin coats is better than one thick one. So thin your paint. Use acrylic not enamel. Sorry to sound preachy but without a 20 page doc I have to hit the most important things quickly.

Here is my photobucket sub album for MoM…

s4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/usagidoug/MoM/

Good Luck!

#5 buhajbej

buhajbej

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the tips :)

I'm starting my painting today. I've spent whole weekend watching YouTube and reading about painting techniques:)

There only one conclusion, it is not an easy thing to do, i think.

#6 buhajbej

buhajbej

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

One more question :)

How do You do those smooth color transitions?

They look amazing!

#7 thecoldwarrior

thecoldwarrior

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Its all about the consistency of the paint. There is no way to explain it you just get a feel for it. Every paint is a bit thicker or thinner so there is no exact formula to it. You need to thin the paint so that you get enough coverage without it being thick. A properly thinned paint will dry quickly but be a bit spotty (not spotted just not full coverage in one coat). It should take 2-3 layers to build up a nice base coat. If you do this each layer adds to the next rather than one thick coat drying unevenly anyway. After a base coat you mix in a high lite color and apply another thin coat only to the areas were light would hit them the most.

Here are the basics of HL (high light) colors.

red…add yellow (not white or you'll get pink!)

green…add yellow

blue… add white

If you mix yellow and black you get olive green red and green give you brown and so on. A color wheel makes this much easier.

I work from a 6x6" inexpensive ceramic tile with glazing (white). This is very easy to clean once dry with a window scraper blade. I also use a bottle dropper with some flow improver (you can start with just a tiny amount of dish soap). Even though I have several 'high' end paints I still mostly use craft paints from Folk Art. Some colors are better when you get the high end paint.

Wash your brush often, dont store it in the cleaning water, dont let paint get dried up in the ferrule and dont drink you paint cup water!!!

#8 buhajbej

buhajbej

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

thecoldwarrior said:

…[CUT]… and dont drink you paint cup water!!!

I'll try ;)

Thank You very much for help, i've started to paint my first miniature yesterday (the worm thingy). This is quite fun actually, i like it. And the painting process i so relaxing!

Thanks again.

#9 SquarePeg

SquarePeg

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

Great paint jobs! The painted bases add so much to the final design. I haven't painted a mini in a long time but I am tempted due to MoM. I have been collecting MoM photographs of painted minis for inspiration and your Shoggoth is one of the nicest, or should I say one of the most ghastly, ones I've seen. :)

#10 VanArkhan

VanArkhan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

Wow those are beautiful. Congrats!

#11 rubenflh

rubenflh

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Excellent work!
I'm sure this adds even more to the gaming experience.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS