Reducing Profit Factor to improve purchase rolls

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Darth Fanboy

Darth Fanboy

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

So I've been pondering this, and for certain situations (particularly the buying of ships) it seems to make sense that a Dynasty might want/need to "burn" PF to make purchase rolls that would otherwise be out of their reach.  This might be handing over such staggering amounts of currency that even a Rogue Trader dynasty is out of pocket, or might be trading in kind by handing over trade concessions; renowned artifacts or even whole colonies.

The thought is, how much PF for how much of a bonus?  My thought was that, after all rolls are completed, the players may improve their roll by +5 for every point of PF that they are willing to give up afterwards.  This (hopefully) makes it tempting when that Best Craftsmanship Inferno Pistol is just out from what you managed to roll after the commerce checks and fate point expenditure, and also means that the +60 you would need to get the fully outfitted light cruiser is enough to hammer dynastic resources without completely ruining them.

Thoughts?

#2 Iku Rex

Iku Rex

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:05 AM

(Into the Storm [page 223] has the "Cost is No Object" rule, where you can spend 1 PF for +10 on an Acquisition Test.)

#3 Darth Fanboy

Darth Fanboy

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

Ah, I missed that one.  Thanks.

Though I am tempted to make it a +5 after the roll is made rather than a +10 before.  Either that, of course, or make both available.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS