Toaded at Crown of Command

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Triple A

Triple A

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:12 AM

If a character is turned into a Toad while battling it out with another character at the Crown of Command (Toadify Spell), and therefore loses all Objects & Followers, can the other player pick them up, or are they lost forever?  I question this because since both characters are already on the COC, no one will be moving into that space, and you generally can't pick anything up from a space until after you move.  

#2 Thee Forsaken One

Thee Forsaken One

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:21 AM

Triple "A" said:

If a character is turned into a Toad while battling it out with another character at the Crown of Command (Toadify Spell), and therefore loses all Objects & Followers, can the other player pick them up, or are they lost forever?  I question this because since both characters are already on the COC, no one will be moving into that space, and you generally can't pick anything up from a space until after you move.  

I was under the impression it is forbidden to cast spells on characters in the Inner Region (excluding the Command Spell) so the point seems moot.

#3 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:05 AM

You can cast spells on characters in the Inner Region. It's the creatures there that are immune to magic.

As for the OP:

I'd say yes, if  you're encountering the space. In which case you won't attack the character on his 1st turn as a toad.Since you can't encounter both the space and another character on the same turn.

#4 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:41 AM

Triple "A" said:

The character who is turned into a Toad must ditch all of his Objects, Followers & gold onto the Crown of Command. The Toad & the other character resolve the battle as normal and the Toad probably loses a life! When two or more characters are on the Crown of Command, they must encounter each other. Therefore all the items ditched on the Crown of Command remain there!

Ell.

#5 Triple A

Triple A

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:56 AM

If the toaded character is killed or moves away, the winner cannot acquire the lost objects without re-entering the space - correct?  Which would require moving out of the Inner Region completely and then re-entering (which, if you're alone on the COC is it really worth it)?  And if another character made it to the COC, they would have to encounter the character already there.  So essentially all objects / followers lost through toading on the COC would not be available to anyone.  

Okay.  Thanks for the advice.

#6 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:05 PM

Triple "A" said:

If the toaded character is killed or moves away, the winner cannot acquire the lost objects without re-entering the space - correct?  Which would require moving out of the Inner Region completely and then re-entering (which, if you're alone on the COC is it really worth it)?  And if another character made it to the COC, they would have to encounter the character already there.  So essentially all objects / followers lost through toading on the COC would not be available to anyone.

When there is only one Character on the Crown of Command, he's not forced to encounter any Characters but he casts the Command Spell as the Rulebook tells you at page 20.

But I think this means that the Character encounters the CoC space every turn (but can't move); the space has no instructions on it in 4th edition, but used to have in 2nd. So, the CoC should be seen as a non-draw card space, where Characters encounter face-up cards before following the instructions for the space.

I think this is logical and coherent to the rules, a little bit more than saying that ditched cards on CoC are lost forever.

#7 Buds

Buds

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

I think The_Warlock has correct on this. Rules says you obtain object/followers due to an encounter, and as I understand you still encounter the CoC even if you dont move, hence you can pick up items there before casting the CoC spell as long you're the only one there.

#8 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

If there is no character on the COC space, you may pick up every object if you want, before casting the coc spell.

This rule is already here for years!

Also John goodenough has allowed that you may cast spells like temporal warp on the coc space.

You can also use * land on abilities *there with the thief and the merchant

#9 QuasiGeek

QuasiGeek

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

I played Talisman with a couple of my friends over the weekend.  They have never played, this is my 3rd time playing the new edition. Any how both of my friends were running up neck and neck through the Inner Region.   One of them landed the Crown of Command, the other cast Random on him, and became Toaded.  Does the Toad drop the Crown as of now?  I understand that they must encounter each other, so it is probably moot.  The toad had tons of extra life, and the Rune Sword (which the other person picked up of course), so this was a drawn out battle.

Edited by QuasiGeek, 12 January 2014 - 04:57 PM.

#10 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

I played Talisman with a couple of my friends over the weekend.  They have never played, this is my 3rd time playing the new edition. Any how both of my friends were running up neck and neck through the Inner Region.   One of them landed the Crown of Command, the other cast Random on him, and became Toaded.  Does the Toad drop the Crown as of now?  I understand that they must encounter each other, so it is probably moot.  The toad had tons of extra life, and the Rune Sword (which the other person picked up of course), so this was a drawn out battle.

The character that became a Toad has to drop all Objects and Followers. For three turns, he has Str:1 Cft:1 and cannot cast Spells (incl. the Command Spell) or use his previous character's abilities. If in the meantime the other character reaches the Crown of Command, he has to encounter the Toad (=attack him and probably beat him) and so must do the Toad in his own turn (probably being defeated again). If the Toad-ed character had extra life, this could probably help him resist to the assault, but when the chasing character reaches the Crown the Toad would quite surely lose one life per turn, until he turns back to normal.

Nobody can pick up the cards on the Crown until there are two characters there, because they have to encounter each other according to the rules, so the Toad won't be getting back his belongings if he doesn't kill the other character and the other won't be able to pick them up until the Toad-ed one is still alive.

I don't think you figured out all of this, but you will learn it by playing, re-reading the rules and following this forum board, if you like it. ;)

Edited by The_Warlock, 13 January 2014 - 01:52 AM.

#11 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

Yep. Essantially:

A) Encounter a space: draw cards (if applicable), go through all the cards, follow space instructions (if applicable).

B) Encounter a character: battle or special ability; ignore all cards and space instructions.

If you "encounter the space" on the Crown of Command, you take all cards if any exist, then follow the space instructions (i.e. Cast the Command Spell or encounter the alternative ending). If you "encounter the character," then you battle or use a special ability. The Crown of Command requires you "encounter a character" if possible, so you can't "encounter the space" (and take cards) until all other characters are gone.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS