General Expansion vs Core set question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pitsch

pitsch

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:11 AM

Ok, this may be a dumb question, but im going to ask anyway. I have bought the core set and the expansions. To get a bigger fleet, of Ties and X-Wings, would it be best to buy the core set again, 2 Tie and 1 X-wing for $25, or buy 3 Expansions for 30? i have all the expansions already as well as the core set, but i want a bigger fleet. Im still new to Mini games so i just dont know lol

Wave 5 ships are up for Pre Order!
http://www.spinninginspace.com/
Anyone in Virginia, DC, MD
https://www.facebook...vaXWingSquadron

#2 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:39 AM

For your money, you're also getting another set of dice, which is a real nice convenience. If you already have one copy of the expansions, then you know what cards come with each of them. So it comes down to which upgrade cards you want.  That second core set is really nice to have, though.

#3 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:49 AM

I've been into mini wargames for a couple decades and there are some armies/factions in every game that are just more cost intensive due to the quantity of models they require.  Imperials in X-Wing are one of those armies if you don't want to run multiple TIE Adv.  Since TIEs are sooo cheap in points you just need to put more of them on the table to match an equal point value Reb list.  So any way you can shrink the per model cost is to your advantage if you're collecting Imps.

The only reason to buy another expansion is like qwerty said, to get another copy of a specific upgrade for TIEs and X's.  I've done exactly what you have, but with a second core set to pad the number of mini's per side.  With one core set and all the expansions you get 3 TIEs and a TIE Adv which can only get you ~80pts.  So you'll need a minimum of 1 more TIE to at least hit 100.  Two more TIE's from a second core set will allow you to finally hit the 100pt mark and actually have the option to not use every model with the highest point value cards to hit the point limit on the Imp side.  With the Rebs, 2 X's and a Y that you already have gets you all the way to 100. 

So if you're limited by budgets, going Reb is easier on the pocket book, but if you're collecting both (like me) then multiple core sets will get your collection built up for the least cash and having extra dice and multiple sets of templates and damage decks is a lovely bonus.

-DavicusPrime

#4 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:37 AM

I really feel like 2 Core Sets is a must for this game;

1)Extra set of movement templates, so you and your opponent can each have your own pile, instead of reach around the table all the time

2)Extra set of damage cards, so you can each have your own deck

3)Extra set of dice, because 3 just simply doesn't cut it.  X-Wings are always needing the 4th attack die with close range lasers or Proton Torpedoes, and the TIE's need the 4th for range 3 defence.

4)You're still getting 2 more TIE's and an X-Wing, and extra copies of the non-unique upgrade cards to share between both factions.

2 Core Sets lets you play a little more of a flexible game than just 2 TIE's vs 1 X-Wing, without having too many ships to try and figure out and get used to, if it's your first couple of games.  FFG will be selling the extra set of dice separately, but you might as well go and get them as a kicker for a more cost-effective way to add an extra set of starter ships to your collection.

Usually, over in LCG land, the question of buying multiple Core Sets comes down to how competitive you want your deck building options to be, and whether $40 is worth it for that third Core Set if you absolutely MUST have 3 copies of "Unexpected Courage" from the Lord of the Rings game.  With X-Wing, I don't think you're getting too much "dead weight" with a second Core Set, as the extra components can be used by your opponent to make the game run smoother.

I think the only "useless" cards you're getting are;

The unique pilots (5 cards), the unique droids (2 cards). 

Even the unique Squad Leader card with the TIE Advanced is awesome to have two copies of, because the Rebels can use it too.  So, 2 Core Sets equates to 7 cards from that whole box that you can't really get use out of.  I'd say that's a pretty good deal, considering the dead weight buying duplicates of LCG Core Sets can cause.

I've read around and have heard of people buying upwards of two Core Sets for cheaply fleshing out their ranks of TIE's and X-Wings.  I can see still getting some use out of 3 Cores, because you can divide the dice up evenly (for the most part) between players not have to pass them back and forth, but the "dead weight" cards start to pile up, because now you have a third damage card deck that you can't really use.  Same with the templates.

However, 3-4 Core Sets could be handy if you're playing with more than two people.  In fact, with 4 of them, plus whatever expansion ships you buy, you could play doubles matches, where 2 players on each side battle it out, commanding their own squadron of ships.  So there, you can have each player with their own templates and damage deck to keep things running smoothly, and you just keep your team's wad of dice in a pile somewhere on your side of the table for easy access.  In this format, the only thing you're really "not using" again, is the unique pilot and upgrade cards.

You could make the argument that the numbered tokens are "useless", but they are double sided with different colours, so you could still make it work easily for both sides of the game.  Even the extra shuttle tokens and asteroids could be used for adding more variety to the existing scenarios, or missions of your own design.

I'm actually impressed how much utility players can get out of the Core Set box in this game.  I play a few LCG's, and 2 is my maximum I will buy, and even then, it's tough for me to do.  I didn't mind it too much for Netrunner, because you're not left with too much dead weight, but I still haven't been able to bring myself to get a second Lord of the Rings Core Set because of how many dead cards that gives me;

All of the encounter deck cards and quests, and the 12 heroes might as well just go right in the trash.

#5 pitsch

pitsch

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:52 AM

ya, i will most get at least 2 of the core sets for the extra stuff and ships. 

Wave 5 ships are up for Pre Order!
http://www.spinninginspace.com/
Anyone in Virginia, DC, MD
https://www.facebook...vaXWingSquadron

#6 DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:00 AM

cleardave said:

3)Extra set of dice, because 3 just simply doesn't cut it.  X-Wings are always needing the 4th attack die with close range lasers or Proton Torpedoes, and the TIE's need the 4th for range 3 defence.

4)You're still getting 2 more TIE's and an X-Wing, and extra copies of the non-unique upgrade cards to share between both factions.

…but the "dead weight" cards start to pile up…

As a Mini Wargamer my thinking is a little different.  The main reason to get multiple cores is for the models, and you can never have too many dice .  The cards and what-not are secondary.  This isn't a card game, it's a mini game, everything aside from the models is just utilitarian stuff that either helps you play the game more efficiently (dice, rulers, damage decks and template sets) or provides back up components if there's been enough wear and tear to make me want to replace them.  I especially see that with the cards for the bases.  Since I'm using card sleeves on all the other cards, they probably won't need replacing, but who knows and who cares.  What maters is getting the models I need to build the lists I want to put on the table.

-DavicusPrime

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS