My dice solution

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

I have been attempting to come up with another solution that gets me a larger set of dice. In another thread, I had a failed attempt using small circle stickers that wound up being just a bit too big.

After these discouraging results, I returned to my earlier idea of making a set of simpler symbols to paint with a Oil-based paint pen directly on the dice. With this method, I also forgo the colors used in the game, since the only repeated dice are "good dice" and "bad dice" other than the force die. These good and bad dice are being represented simply by the color markings. The force die will just use a standard d12 and a chart.

BLACK DICE: Boost (d6), Ability (d8), Proficiency (d12)

RED DICE: Setback (d6), Difficulty (d8), Challenge (d12)

Circles and Triangles: successes and failures

Plus and Minus: advantages and threats

Triumphs and Despairs are made by combining the symbols (see top middle).

#2 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

Good solution.

We use the chart if more dice than the ones I converted using stickers are needed, seems to work well, but your solution is a bit more nifty. I like!

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#3 LethalDose

LethalDose

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

NICE!  where'd you get the blank polyhedrals?

#4 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

LethalDose said:

Paizo.com, but they are made by Chessex. You should be able to find them around.

#5 Corradus

Corradus

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

BrashFink said:

LethalDose said:

Paizo.com, but they are made by Chessex. You should be able to find them around.

Yeah, don't rely on your local gaming store to have them, be prepared to send away and put up with all the concomitant B.S. involved in that.

That being said Brash, your work-around might work for me (I hasten to say again that it should not have to, there should be dice for this damn game already, but I digress), can you be a bit more specific about the markers you used?  Width of tip and perhaps brand name?  I'd hate to have mine rub off in mid-session.

#6 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

I used THESE from Sharpie. I got a set of 5 (red, black, yellow, white and blue) from HERE at Amazon.

They worked well though the "fine" tip is still pretty fat and hard to use (see some of the shaky results lol). They dry really quick too. Fine to touch in 5-10 mins.

I also followed the guide in the book and a used a reference die to follow the sides the markings should be on.

#7 OupsDesole

OupsDesole

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:09 AM

I found some in here, I don't konw if it helps you since it's a british seller.

http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/BLANK_POLYDICE.html

#8 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

That's pretty cool. You could get white dice for all the "good" dice and Red for "bad" ones… then just use a black paint pen.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS