• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Signey

Signey

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

Hi Everybody,

I'm Signey and I am new to this game and the forum.  I have purchased Talisman 4th ED. Revised for my husband as a Winter Solstice present.  I'm very excited about the idea of learning how to play this board game as I have heard really good things about it.  My questions to you:

1.  To sleeve or not to sleeve?  I would like the cards to hold up over the years are they made of good card stock?  Do they need sleeves?

and then…..

2.  If you were going to put sleeves on them what size do they take and what's the best type to use?  Since these are going to be played with and not displayed I'd like something flexible and not to bulky so that they stack nicely.

I really appreciate your input.  I want to make this a nice gift that my husband will enjoy for years to come.

Thanks so much!

Signey  :)

#2 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

Welcome. I would certainly recommend sleeving the cards. Mini-American sleeves from FFG are the best to use (100 microns thick). You can even purchase large card sleeves for the character cards from Thailand and import them if you wish - they are surprisingly cheap:

thaiboardgame.net/forum/index.php

The 'Solstice' Adventure Card appears in the Sacred Pool expansion!

Regards,

Ell.

#3 Signey

Signey

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Thank you Ell, this is helpful information.  Can you tell me what FFG is?  Can I also order the large card sleeves through them or is there another vendor that I can order from?  We do have a gaming store here.  It's in Anchorage and I get there a few times before the Solstice.  Are these types of sleeves readily available through most gamer/comic stores?  Do you know how many I would need of each size?  This is going to be so much fun.  We have played RPG's in the past but they are pretty time consuming at this point.  I want to see if we can try something new that might not be as time intensive but still lots of fun.

Thanks for your help!

Signey

#4 Signey

Signey

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

O.K.  I figured out what FFG is.  ;)  Duh!  But who do I get the larger sleeves from. 

Thanks!  Signey  :)

#5 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

I would recommend sleeves at 40-60 microns instead.  They hold up well, and after several years, I have replaced only three among about 1200 on cards throughout my varied games.  And most importantly, you get up to twice as many in a pack vs. the 100 micrions for usually the same price, though you won't find them at FFG.

http://maydaygames.c...k-mini-usa.html

As to larger sleeves, I'm guessing you mean for Character and Ending cards. That's a bit trickier.

#6 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:24 AM

You can also download the Fantasy Flight Supply Sleeving Guide which gives you the number of packets (of FFG sleeves at 50 per pack) you will need for the smaller cards.

The larger cards, as linked above can be purchased from the Thai Boardgame Group who have a few packs left I believe.

The Thai Boardgame Group also do card sleeves for the smaller size cards and you get 120 sleeves in those packs.

You can also have a look at Talisman Island to see a page with the available sleeves at the moment. It's not the best presentation, but it'll do!

http://www.talismanisland.com/storage_cardsleeves.htm

Have fun!

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#7 Signey

Signey

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hi Everybody,

You have all been so helpful.  I still wasn't really understanding what all I needed to find and so I opened up the game.  I didn't want to do that but sometimes you just have to see what you're dealing with.  :)  It all became clear on inspection and with your great resources.  I have an email out to the Thailand source for the Character Sleeves.  I contacted Mayday Games for the Mini Sleeves as they have been on back order for sometime.  They were supposed to have been back in stock in August.  We shall see.  I was impressed with the demonstration they give on their site for shuffling a stack of cards with the sleeves.  I have to admit I was a little nervous about how well they would handle with that extra bulk.  It seems to work well though.  I think that all of you have given me enough information to be able to put together a very present for my husband.  I really appreciate it and thank you all again.  :)

Signey

#8 Signey

Signey

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

I wanted to follow up with what I had found.  I never figured out how to order through Fantasy Flight Supply.  I did download the guide that shows which packs to order and how many but when I went to their site I couldn't figure out where you ordered them.  Now I consider myself to be an expert when it comes to shopping online so I'm not sure what was going on there.  I moved on to Mayday Games in the hopes that I would be able to order the mini covers from them.  They have had these on order for months now but assured me they would be in at the end of September.  It's mid October now and they still haven't arrived.  I finally found some of the Mayday Games covers over on Amazon so that is covered.  I have yet to get in touch with anyone over at the Thai Boardgame Group.  I've written a number of times now without any luck.  I don't know if any of you have a better contact address other than the one that is posted at their site.  I am so very glad that I joined the group here.  You guys have been incredibly helpful in getting this game setup.  I feel so great knowing that when he gets it at Christmas it will be complete and all we have to do is order a pizza and play.  Thank you!

#9 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:18 AM

Sorry you had such a hassle, Signey.  I should have mentioned that indeed MayDay products can often be found on Amazon.  Seems like these days some vendors are working very predominantly through such megalithic outlets. But it sounds like you're all set to go.  Hope the first game following Xmas is all you expect.

#10 Signey

Signey

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

I appreciate your help JC and I don't want you to think that I was complaining, cus I'm not.  :)  I wanted to leave a trail so that any other people who are looking for the same information can see what worked for me.  The store on Amazon has sent the covers right out and I should be getting them any day, so no worries.  I'm sure I could get them from Mayday if I didn't have a time constraint.  I just wanted to have it done so I could cross them off my list.  So thank you again and I will toast you and all the kind folk who have helped me here on Christmas as we gather round the Talisman board.  ;)

#11 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:10 AM

Hey, complaints are okay, and don't let anyone telly you otherwise. No harm in letting the rest of use know where there's a jam-up… and how to get around it. And you'll always find at least handful of people around here will to jump in and help you have some fun your way.

#12 Signey

Signey

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

Thank you JC  :) 

Mayday games has written me that they do have the mini sleeves now and so will be filling back orders and any new orders too.  This is good to know for those of you who might be looking for your own sleeves.  The people over at Mayday are very nice and will answer any questions you might have very quickly.  They are very nice people. 

#13 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:49 AM

Ditto about MayDay. Been dealing with them for two years now.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS