Do you need more than one starter set?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

This will be my first FFG living card game.  Does anyone know if it would be worthwhile to get more than one starter set, or if one is all you'll need?  Thanks in advance for your help.

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  4 A-Wing  •  2 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  5 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

#2 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

You'll always only ever "need" one Core Set to enjoy playing a LCG.  If you're planning on getting into more competitive deckbuilding, conventional wisdom in the past will say to buy an extra one, to have doubles of the cards that are only included as singles.  If you keep up with the expansion packs, which are now giving you three of each card, you'll find over time you'll not worry too much about missing extra copies of anything from the Core Set.

As for THIS game, nobody can honestly make a recommendation to you one way or the other, because we just simply don't know what is in it.  If you're trying to set up a pre-order somewhere, than I would play it safe and go with two.

What we do know so far, is that each objective card block can be take up to twice, with some blocks having a "limit one per deck" restriction.  If I had to guess, there will just be one of each objective pod included in the Core Set, making buying two Core Sets a more reasonable purchase than it might be for other LCG's that leave you with a lot of extra cards you can't deck build with.

I don't imagine you'd need to buy a third, given that you can only run two copies of each objective pod.

Just remember, we know next to nothing about the Core Set card distribution, so all you will get right now is speculation.  Even the release date is up in the air.

#3 sinnerfold

sinnerfold

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

Based on our current understanding of the game and its deckbuilding, I would have to agree with cleardave about getting two core sets. This is my current plan for buying the game. The fact that this game is a dualistic game like Android: Netrunner means you won't need to have a shitton of cards to allow another player to use your cards. There is not sharing of cards or cross faction cards to build decks of equal power. You just take all of one side. As for wasted cards, true, unique pods may seem like a waste but you'll always have extras for building multiple decks. Remember lots of cards will come out over the next year, so you probably won't want to have to tear down decks constantly. That second set will help prevent a lot of that. Welcome to the LCG addiction.

#4 Hannibal_pjv

Hannibal_pjv

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

So you can have some pods several times? I didn't know that. I was suspecting that this time only one core set was optimal solution.

#5 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

We won't know the answer until we see the rule on deck building. 

#6 Maine

Maine

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

The information published so far suggests deck building is VERY different than previous games:

You pick 10 'Objective Sets', which are fixed groups of cards consisting of an Objective card and 5 other cards.  You then shuffle your Objectives together in one Objective deck of 10 cards, and the other cards together into another deck of 50 cards.

It seems like a mix of ANR (Side-specific decks) and Cthulhu (with Objectives being similar to 'story' deck).

Thus, the only reason to purchase 2 starter sets is if you intend to take the same Objective twice.  It is unknown if this will be a valid deck-building option or not, but we should know as soon as the rules are made available.

#7 AshesFall

AshesFall

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

Some corrective information from reading through the game description and watching the demo video from Gencon carefully;

You build an objective deck with ten -or more- objectives. So at least ten, but you can have more if you want. You can have most objectives twice, a few will be limited to only once. When you start playing, you draw five objectives and choose three, shuffling the two leftovers back into the objective deck. 

#8 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

AshesFall said:

Some corrective information from reading through the game description and watching the demo video from Gencon carefully;

You build an objective deck with ten -or more- objectives. So at least ten, but you can have more if you want. You can have most objectives twice, a few will be limited to only once. When you start playing, you draw five objectives and choose three, shuffling the two leftovers back into the objective deck. 

That's the first I've heard about having more than ten objectives. I guess it makes sense, FFG doesn't generally put in maximums on deck size (although there's an effective maximum for Corp decks in Netrunner with the current card pool). Most rules just provide a minimum deck size, and a vague upward limit that decks can't be so large that you can't shuffle them.

Anyway, given that most pods can be used twice per deck, I'd say it'll make sense to buy a second Core Set if you want a complete set of cards, but unlike every other LCG, there probably won't be much or perhaps any reason to get a third. Given that FFG's model with every other one of their Core Sets is that you need to buy multiples to have the maximum number of copies of a given card, it's pretty much guaranteed that Star Wars will follow suit.

#9 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:04 AM

alpha5099 said:

Anyway, given that most pods can be used twice per deck, I'd say it'll make sense to buy a second Core Set if you want a complete set of cards, but unlike every other LCG, there probably won't be much or perhaps any reason to get a third.

This makes sense to me, two copies to get duplicates of all the Core set pods.  Force packs will likely already come with max copies like every other LCG they make.

Usually you want your deck to be as small as possible for greater consistency, so while it's legal to have more than 10 objectives in practice I don't think you'll often see much more than that.  Maybe an occasional 11, and that's about it unless they give you a good reason to want more.  For instance, Netrunner Corp decks are often 49 cards rather than the minimum 45 because it allows you to have a slightly lower ratio of Agendas in the deck which a lot of people judge as being worth the slightly lower consistency.

#10 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:17 AM

The new article just posted focuses on deck building and can likely help clarify some things. Reading it over now.

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp

#11 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

What about the objective set Corey alluded to in the video, that would consist of the objective, plus five stormtrooper cards? Will this exist, and if it does, will there be a limit of 2 or 3 placed on it? What if I want to play a deck full of nothing but rank-and-file troops or TIE Fighters?

Perhaps there will be other objectives that provide stormtroopers as well.

#12 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

I have to imagine that stormtroopers exist in more than pod, though they might be thematically different. There might be a standard stormtrooper pod, and a snowtrooper pod with AT-ATs, and a scouttrooper pod with AT-STs, etc. A pure stormtrooper deck probably won't be buildable right away though; I expect they'll probably try and provide a pretty good variety of different themes and character-types in the core set, so we might have to wait for the force packs to come out before there are enough pods with a particular theme to construct such a focused deck.

I was thinking about what I'd said earlier, about my expectation that the pods of the core set will be included just once, and you'd need a second core to double up on any pod. Now that I think about it, that might not be the case; most of FFG's most recent LCG core sets have provided the maximum number of cards for a deck for some portion of the cards included. So, we might get doubles of some pods, singles of any pods that you can only include one of in your objective deck, and singles of some pods that you could double up on. Hopefully there aren't too many doubled pods, as that increases the amount of extra cards you end up with if you buy a second core. Of course, it might also be nice to have multiple decks constructed for each side, so having those extras might not be such a big deal.

#13 cyberfunk

cyberfunk

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

I would be pretty surprised if FFG totally removes the incentive to buy extra cores, but it sounds like, as in NetRunner, two cores will be plenty for all but the true completists and those that want to have multiple decks constructed at the same time. 

I do think the second core set will be pretty important for competitive decks if the deck construction rules are "10 different objectives" plus any extra objectives you want to run. My guess is there will be an upper-end restriction as well… probably no more than 2-3 of a given objective. 

If your choices are 1x 10 Objectives vs. 1x 7 Objectives/2x 3 Objectives, you are definitely going to be maximizing the chances of seeing your best cards with the second option. True, in most games, you want to stick to the minimum, but I can't think of another game that lets you up your deck limit by increasing your deck size. That definitely shakes things up.

#14 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

We have heard from people who played the game you can have two of each pod. Assuming that has not changed, two core sets would be the most likely to get. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS