Solution to accidentally moving ship bases

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

The ship bases are very light and slide easily on playing surfaces when accidentally nudged.  After bumping them around for several games I decided to see what I could do to remedy this problem.

Here is what I came up with:

First, I glued on fender washers which filled most of the space underneath the stand for added weight.  (Note: if you do this, use very mild glue.  The glue I used caused some clouding of the plastic which can be seen from the top side underneath the pilot card.)

Then I added tiny machine nuts to fill the gaps around my washers so that the entire bottom side of the stand was uniform depth (I used up about half of the gap space on the underside of the stand).

Then I cut out squares from a mouse pad and glued them to the washer and nuts underneath. 

Voila! Now because of the weight and grabby material, my bases stay put very well.

As you can see, the base does sit about 1/16in off the table, but this does not interfere with the movement templates locking in to the "nubs" on the base. 

Here is the mess underneath (you can see through the top clear plastic).  Its embarrassing that I used the wrong glue and it looks pretty unsightly, but at least its completely covered by the pilot card.

I'm not usually into customizing my stuff and making a mess, but I have to say, the bases feel much heavier and more substantive in hand and they don't slide at all!  I love em!

#2 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

Curious what you came up with, but it was not included.  Hope you will still post it.

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

FIRST PLACE:  2012 Kessel Run (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Imperial Outpost, Glendale AZ); 2014 Store Championship (Desert Sky Games, Gilbert AZ); 2014 Assault on Imdaar Alpha (Game Depot, Tempe AZ)

#3 Harleequin

Harleequin

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

El_Tonio said:

Curious what you came up with, but it was not included.  Hope you will still post it.

Not sure if he meant to not include it, personally I think it's a joke, like he came up with "nothing" :b

#4 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

Okay, finally got the images edited in.  Can you view them alright?

By the way, the materials were dirt cheap.  The nuts and washer were only about $3, and I found the mouse pad at target for under $4 (its labeled "recycled" but its seems just like the standard one I use at home). I used less than half of my materials for seven bases.

You might be better off using a square washer, if you can find an appropriately sized one.  I also considered trying to use buckshot or small/flat fishing weights.  In the end fasteners were easier to get my hands on.

#5 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

EDIT: Forget what I wrote… I can now see the photos and the text.  Thanks for the idea!

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

FIRST PLACE:  2012 Kessel Run (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Imperial Outpost, Glendale AZ); 2014 Store Championship (Desert Sky Games, Gilbert AZ); 2014 Assault on Imdaar Alpha (Game Depot, Tempe AZ)

#6 Harleequin

Harleequin

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

I see the photos fine, but when I refresh the page sometimes they aren't there, might have to do with how fast your internet is and how many other things you have running

#7 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

I changed the image host a second ago.  Should be good to go now.

#8 AngryMojo

AngryMojo

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

I'm considering lining my bases with this:

javascript:void(0);/*1348462342570*/

I've got it on the bottom of some coasters I made, and it works fantastically.  The washers are a good idea to give them a bit more heft, I used to glue pennies underneath my Warhammer figures for the same reason.

#9 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:45 AM

Mouse Pad!  Genius solution.  I am going do this to mine as well, the sliding is one of the problems keeping this game from being all it should be.  

Exactly what kind glue did you use that made the plastic cloud? Do you think Krazy glue would work ok?

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#10 Glorian Underhill

Glorian Underhill

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:34 AM

Most plastic glues let clear plastic get a shade.

Only sollution is using something like revell "clear contacta" glue which was developed for clear airplane pilot windows on model kits.

german amazon link: www.amazon.de/39609-Revell-Contacta-Clear-13/dp/B001XS16V0/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1

I don't know if you have something similiar in the RofW.

Also a solution I thought about might be to glue the base onto something like Magnetic miniature bases. Also from the tabletop range. Some metal nuts on the other hand gives the mini wuite more weight which is good.

#11 FarkonGnome

FarkonGnome

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:48 AM

R5Don4 said:

Mouse Pad!  Genius solution.  I am going do this to mine as well, the sliding is one of the problems keeping this game from being all it should be.  

Exactly what kind glue did you use that made the plastic cloud? Do you think Krazy glue would work ok?

I would suggest using wood glue or hot glue -- any type of crazy glue will cloud plastic, trust me on this as I've learned the hard way…

#12 ajbartman

ajbartman

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:35 AM

Used washer in the middle and cut out the mouse pad to fit around washer so it all set almost flush.  Just enough of the mouse pad is below the bottom of the base to keep it from sliding.  Added weight made a big difference.

#13 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

Glad to hear it worked for you!

The extra weight in my bases makes them feel so much better in hand.  Before I added the fasteners the ships were pretty top heavy and a bit unbalanced.  The mouse pad also feels great on a play surface.

I love metal products and I'm not a huge fan of plastic.  This fix really changes the way the pieces feel.  They seem sturdier and more substantive.

Even considering the plastic getting a bit cloudy, I think it was worth it.  The only person that will ever see under the pilot card is me.  I'm just one of those people that is bothered by blemishes in my own work even if it doesn't show on the outside finish.    

#14 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

FarkonGnome said:

R5Don4 said:

I would suggest using wood glue or hot glue -- any type of crazy glue will cloud plastic, trust me on this as I've learned the hard way…

I used double sided tape, worked great and it's not 100% permanent.  Very pleased with how they turned out and how the pieces play now.  

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#15 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

R5Don4 said:

I used double sided tape, worked great and it's not 100% permanent.  Very pleased with how they turned out and how the pieces play now.  

Brilliant! Double sided tape is ideal.

Did you manage to fit weights too?

#16 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:05 AM

I sure did.  At first I didn't think the washers would really make much of a difference as they seemed so light, but they really added the substantial feel you were talking about.

#17 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

Ya.  The bases are so light that just an ounce or two makes a massive difference.  

When I get more stands I will certainly try the double tape solution.  Thanks!

#18 Pygon

Pygon

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

I upgraded all my bases with the mouse pad today.

I didn't bother with a washer.

A 0.1 inch thick mouse pad with a rubber bottom works best. It just barely reaches past the underside of the base to make contact with the playing surface.

The bases passed the bump test.  I'm happy.

Thanks for the idea!

Core/Wave 1: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 8 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Advanceds; Wave 2: 2 YT-1300s, 3 A-Wings, 2 Firesprays, 3 TIE Interceptors

Wave 3: 3 B-Wings, 3 TIE Bombers, 3 HWK-290s, 2 Lambda Shuttles; Imperial Aces: 2 Royal Guard Interceptors, 2 Elite Interceptors

Huge ships: 1 Tantive IV, 2 Transports, 2 alternate X-Wings

Wave 4: 3 E-Wings, 6 Z95s, 3 TIE Defenders, 3 TIE Phantoms

#19 Rodent Mastermind

Rodent Mastermind

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

I'm considering painting the inside of mine black, then adding washers, then filling with a mixture of green-stuff and fine milliput (you get a really durable composite with none of the downsides of each material. The I think maybe a thin rubber adhesive sheet on the bottom.. But I will have to see. I might get to the point where I replace all the rods with brass and magnets as the perspex ones supply seem to crack very easily..

#20 KineticOperator

KineticOperator

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

I filled mine with a black painted washer for weight, then filled it the rest of the way with black silicone.  There is a thread on boardgamegeek where somebody did it as well.  It works very, very well adding weight and a non-slip bottom.  I get compliments on it constantly, and I am very pleased with both the look and the use of it.

My suggestion to add to the video, get a couple disposable plastic knives (the kind with the teeth) like those you get from McDonalds.  Use the side with the teeth to "smooth" the bottoms out and get the excess off, the teeth on the knives give it extra texture for grip and when its done you can just throw the knife away.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS