• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 crimzonteerz

crimzonteerz

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

Hey Guys,

Just got the game today, looks great. Haven't got a chance to play yet though. The models are superb.

I'd like to custom paint Wedge. In Star Wars Episode 4 he was Red 2. During the battle of Endor he was "red leader" and there was another guy with the designation of Red 2. So what number was Wedge during the battle of Endor?

I found this resource

www.modelermagic.com/

The model looks great BUT I really don't remember seeing ANY yellow on X-wings in the movies. I've noticed that some models of Luke have yellow on them as well. Has this yellowing of the X-wings come from another source, like comics or something?

I'd like to paint Wedge as he was in the movies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 teajay33

teajay33

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

wedge was red leader in the death star 2 attack.

#3 Buckaroo

Buckaroo

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

crimzon said:

Hey Guys,

Just got the game today, looks great. Haven't got a chance to play yet though. The models are superb.

I'd like to custom paint Wedge. In Star Wars Episode 4 he was Red 2. During the battle of Endor he was "red leader" and there was another guy with the designation of Red 2. So what number was Wedge during the battle of Endor?

I found this resource

www.modelermagic.com/

The model looks great BUT I really don't remember seeing ANY yellow on X-wings in the movies. I've noticed that some models of Luke have yellow on them as well. Has this yellowing of the X-wings come from another source, like comics or something?

I'd like to paint Wedge as he was in the movies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Yellow was always there on Red 2. Interesting fact, the filming model for Red 2 was originally painted Blue! Blue Squadron was supposed to make the attack on the Death star but trouble with filming on a Blue screen made them switch to Red at the last minute.

See my repaint post here to see my take in Reds 2 & 3. All Miniatures Great and Small

#4 crimzonteerz

crimzonteerz

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

>The Yellow was always there on Red 2

After looking over lots of images using google I must agree with you. A great example of the yellow on I found here… How did I miss this before?

> Interesting fact, the filming model for Red 2 was originally painted Blue! Blue Squadron was supposed to make the attack on the Death star but trouble with filming on a Blue screen made them switch to Red at the last minute.

I did not know that. That is a pretty interesting fact.

Btw, your custom paint ups are great. Good going. And thanks for posting that article - it should help everyone else who wants to do the same. I only have GW paints however… Maybe I should go to my LGS and pick up some Vallejo Deck Tan and Khaki because it looks like you got the base coat colour spot on.

#5 Rogue Kiwi

Rogue Kiwi

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

After deleting the old dead links i had i managed to find some new another website with studio model images.

chech out my post on AFM here for this and other painting reference links.

afewmaneuvers.yuku.com/topic/53/Repaint-References#.UGFnIlFafi4

Also Pay close attention to the battle of yavin most of the clear shots of an x wing it clearly has 2 stripes so is infact red 2 even when the action shoul be happening to red 5

On a similar note does anybody have references for red 6?

#6 crimzonteerz

crimzonteerz

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

Rogue Wiki those are some good links. Wouldn't those models look great sitting on your desk? :)

The guy who painted those X-Wings seems to think that Red 4 had a yellow cockpit and that Porkins Red 6 had a red cockpit. I wonder where he got the refrences for these paint jobs?

#7 Buckaroo

Buckaroo

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:00 AM

crimzon said:

Rogue Wiki those are some good links. Wouldn't those models look great sitting on your desk? :)

The guy who painted those X-Wings seems to think that Red 4 had a yellow cockpit and that Porkins Red 6 had a red cockpit. I wonder where he got the refrences for these paint jobs?

For Red 6, yes, it was painted with a red canopy, and at least one red laser cannon.  The actual Red 6 filming model was a "Pyro" version and was destroyed as part of filming so you won't find more than a few scattered pictures of it here and there.

Red 4 is another rarely seen bird but the pictures I found it does sport a yellow canopy.

As far as identifying them on film it can be challenging. Most of the X Wings on film are the "Hero" models, Reds 1,2,3 & 5 make almost all the on screen appearances.  Also keep in mind the filming technique used robbed these models of a lot of their color. So, no you won't usually see the blues, greens and yellows used on a lot of the panels, it all comes across grey. Even the Blue TIE Fighters come across gray in ANH.

#8 crimzonteerz

crimzonteerz

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

Buckaroo that is some great info, especially the reason as to why everything looked grey. I did not know any of this!

Now I wonder why Lucas didn't just redo the entire battle of Yavin with more detailed looking (read cooler) X-Wings instead of making Han shoot first?

#9 Buckaroo

Buckaroo

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

crimzonteerz said:

Buckaroo that is some great info, especially the reason as to why everything looked grey. I did not know any of this!

Now I wonder why Lucas didn't just redo the entire battle of Yavin with more detailed looking (read cooler) X-Wings instead of making Han shoot first?

I'm glad they  didn't. The models used in ANH set the bar for special effects and I still prefer the look of models to CGI spaceships. the new CGI shots inserted into the battle of Yavin stick out like a sore thumb. (and the fact that they used the same skin for their CGI ships didn't help)

But then I'm an old fogey who likes the "good old days"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS