Solo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Oneshot

Oneshot

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

I've recently picked up the core set and loved it and now how the KD expansion and 3 adventure packs on the way.  So far mostly soloing because my usual GOT group isn't into the coop aspect.  Anyway I have been using the leadership and spirit spheres and feel comfortable with the first scenario in the core.  I've been trying to do the 2nd one and the easiest from KD and keep getting beat when I move on to 2b.  I feel like I don't have enough allies to soak up dmg for blocking.  I"m not sure if I could work in 3 spheres and have enough resources. Should I go Leadership Lore instead for heals?  Thanks for the help

#2 ArachneJericho

ArachneJericho

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

There's a thread called Drowning on the Anduin which has strategy, decklists, and shared frustration.

#3 Oneshot

Oneshot

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Thanks!  The only other option I've thought of is using all the dwarfs and using the belt to change for whatever resource I need.  Just not sure if the odds are good enough 3/50 to draw it soon enough. 

#4 ArachneJericho

ArachneJericho

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

Oneshot said:

Thanks!  The only other option I've thought of is using all the dwarfs and using the belt to change for whatever resource I need.  Just not sure if the odds are good enough 3/50 to draw it soon enough. 

Playing three spheres is not too bad. People were doing it even before the belt. :) You need to keep your cards cheap unless you're pulling a trick like Elrond + Vilya.

Controversial 3-sphere deck that actually ended up working - I think this might have been the first three-sphere deck

Discussion of building 3-sphere decks in the age of Belt, Bifur, etc - people are even bringing up 4-sphere decks these days

#5 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:22 PM

yes- as i say in one of the linked discussions above, i only play solo and 4 sphere isnt tht unusual these days, i usually have 3 heros of different spheres and splash the remaining one in.

as for your ally problem your deck needs to be a good percentage ally built- around 40-50%

i recently helped a fellow gamer which seemed to be of some use, and i used a resource generating example which may help, so i shall copy pase that post to here

this is how i build a deck

-pick one aspect/ combo and then build the deck around that. in other words, say you want to have gloin+resource gain+healing. a perfectly good combo o cards, and once you have that in mind you can see you need:

1. leadership (as you have gloin, and you may as well throw in steward of gondor to make a really good resource drawing deck)

2.lore as this is the primary healing sphere. now you know your two main spheres you can chose a 2nd and/or third lore hero to add to your deck. so think, who will go well here? well its healing so perhaps lore glorfindel, or if you are wanting another resource hero then theodred's ability will be good as well.

maybe you want a good card draw as you will have plenty of resources to use, so bilbo would go well here, or perhaps better beravor who is great all round

but remember once you have a core deck, you need support for it- the above deck would likely fail with only resource draw and healing as this does nothing for fighting and questing. the trick here is getting these two into a deck AND having it work as a whole.

so for questing you immediatly think spirit, but we have a lot of resources here, and we also have gloin- a dwarf…..put these together and you get longbeard map maker- he can buff up willpower with resources you gain from gloin, and pretty much quest alone. also being a dwarf he benefits from whatever dwarven cards you have in your deck.

now we just have fighting/defending….so again think, who goes well with this deck? well this is a little more difficult and will require some thinking over it, but there are a few options.

firstly gloin is the defender here, as this is core to the deck- ie let him get damage+resources then heal…

but then we need an attacker, so perhaps you could put in unexpected courage on him and give him a dwarven axe or two- this will make him both defender and attacker smoothing out the deck

once you have all that in place, you will need to bulk out your deck with cards

i tend to go

40-50% allies

25% attatchments

25% events

obviously though it varies, but thats around what i do

there are some must have cards depending on what spheres you run

in lore i would say forest snare, protector of lorien and if we are healing here, then daughter of nimrodel or self preservation (the latter on gloin would be better….unless you can only attatch it to a lore hero…cant remember..)

in leadership there is sneak attack for gandalf and steward of gondor, also ever vigilant is a great card and comes in handy when you dont have UC around.

after this i take the deck and try it against a standard quest- mine is passage through mirkwood followed by hunt for gollum. it may take a few plays to get the feel of the deck, as a bad or good draw will bias the outcome. after the games take the deck back to the drawing board and take out cards you left in your hand and never played, and add in ones you missed

so this is one way that you can construct a deck- there are others, but i like this bottom up method

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS