• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

Just thought that the upcoming release of REH's Solomon Kane looked like good inspiration for WFRP:  www.rottentomatoes.com/m/solomon_kane/trailers/

#2 GaiusIII

GaiusIII

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

Glad that is finally coming out in the US!

#3 alp

alp

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

a movie that has been out in Europe, an still not released in the States?  I am amazed as I considered this a major production.  It is a good film (although some thought it was only average).  If you play a witch hunter this is a target rich film for inspiration and I reckon a must see for WHFRP fans.  Take from it what you will.

Other notable films include ironclad, season of the witch and black death.

Enjoy the film for what it is and let us know what you think,

Alp

#4 Johannes_Tippmeister

Johannes_Tippmeister

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:38 AM

I've seen it and I enjoyed it. Don't expect to most in-depth character development ever displayed on screen, but rather a solid prototype of a problem-ridden Witch Hunter. The bleak and dark world in which everything is full of wickedness and sin is complemented by solid horror elements.

The story is fairly straightforward and not too creative. But to be fair though, this is true to Howard's 1929-1930 tales. That said, I'd already watch the movie for the tone alone. It certainly does the gloomy, grim and perilous bit right.

Oh, and it's either raining or the characters travel through the bleak winter landscape of medieval Europe and endure the biting cold. Any wfrp character can relate. :-)

#5 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:05 AM

This seems to be an excellent time to remind the community about the Daily Empire's list of inspirational movies! You can find it HERE. Be sure to inform me about movies that are not on the list but should be.

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#6 Glorian Underhill

Glorian Underhill

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:21 AM

Solomon Kane reminds me of the single truth how Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay relates to other RPGs.

Other Fantasy RPG: "You are surrounded by Orcs."

WFRP: "You are surrounded by Orcs … and it rains."

The Movie itself isnt that great. Dont expect to much and you will be positively surprised. But I laughed quite some time at the end when he just shot the bad guy in the head with his flintlock pistol. :) A real PC move that was. Something like the Action Card from Heros Call. "Shot first, and dont asky any questions at all."

#7 GoblynKing

GoblynKing

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

alp said:

a movie that has been out in Europe, an still not released in the States?  I am amazed as I considered this a major production.  It is a good film (although some thought it was only average).  If you play a witch hunter this is a target rich film for inspiration and I reckon a must see for WHFRP fans.  Take from it what you will.

Other notable films include ironclad, season of the witch and black death.

Enjoy the film for what it is and let us know what you think,

Alp

Also check out the miniseries Borgia (conspiracy and political intrigue in early renaissance Rome/The Vatican), and the film Witchfinder General (staring Vincent Price as a sadistic and twisted witch hunter).

#8 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:07 AM

The movie isn't getting widely released here.  There's only one theater playing it here (and it's a 45 minute drive to get there).

jh

#9 alp

alp

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:27 PM

you could get the dvd from amazon.co.uk no problem (it is europe encoded I think but not really a problem).  I think it is even on sale.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=solomon+kane

Yup, on sale for £3.55.

Alp

#10 Ludlov Thadwin of Sevenpiecks

Ludlov Thadwin of Sevenpiecks

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:11 AM

I certainly enjoyed the Solomon Kane film. The soundtrack is particularly good and very fitting with a game of WFRP but unfortunately not for sale at all. You can find it on Youtube, though.

www.audioepics.com

#11 Ludlov Thadwin of Sevenpiecks

Ludlov Thadwin of Sevenpiecks

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:11 AM

I certainly enjoyed the Solomon Kane film. The soundtrack is particularly good and very fitting with a game of WFRP but unfortunately not for sale at all. You can find it on Youtube, though.

www.audioepics.com

#12 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

I couldn't wait and rented Solomon Kane through Netflix. I was happy with it. I have only read a few Solomon Kane stories so I was not influenced at all about how it may have changed canon. It was a good movie and had a definite Warhammer feel to it, perhaps more so then the Solomon Kane stories I have read.

#13 Tresmegistus

Tresmegistus

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

Great!

This thread has inspired me to buy it on dvd.

2 quid out of local super-market.

Can't say fairer then that!

#14 Tresmegistus

Tresmegistus

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

Great!

This thread has inspired me to buy it on dvd.

2 quid out of local super-market.

Can't say fairer then that!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS