Against Nyarlathotep!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:07 AM

For my third game in the new house, Marie Lambeau, Jim Culver, Mandy Thompson, and Mark Harrigan attempted to keep Nyarlathotep at bay.  It was an amazing game, due to the give-and-take the Investigators experienced around the towns of Arkham, Kingsport, and Dunwich.  For three successive Mythos Cards, Independence Square proved the most popular location, throwing-up a Gate and two Monster Surges which kept the Investigators engaged in trying to keep everything under control.  Due to the Monster Surges and other events, they didn't get a chance to seal their first gate until the ninth turn ~ for meta-gamers, that's an anathema to good playing.  

The Monster Surges did manage to keep the Doom Track from filling too quickly, along with three (yes, THREE!) Gate Bursts, which while it didn't raise the Doom Track, it certainly caused unease among the Investigators.  Fortunately, Marie, Jim, and Mark managed to pass their Personal Stories ~ this was great as Marie was able to use her Special Ability twice, Jim could grab any Undead monsters making a debut in town and Mark had a bit moire Sanity.  On the downside, Mandy managed to be diagnosed with both Schizophrenia and Depression, while Mark suffered from both Necrophobia and Agoraphobia.

I did manage to find a great combination ~ the Spell, Premonition and the Unique Item Seven Cryptical Books of Hsan ~ great for picking-up clues, Allies, etc.  Finally, while nearly everyone was affected by the Virulent Disease Rumor (who knew you couldn't get innoculations in the Other Worlds?), Mandy made short work of the seven monsters of The Terrible Experiment and some amazing spell-casting had the Investigators pass  The Unraveling Tapestry.  Also, if you want to send anyone to finish-off the Dunwich Horror…send Marie!  Armed with an Enchanted Knife, Wither, and her Martial Ability, coupled with a Relationship which added '1' to her Combat Roll and Mandy's Special Ability…the thing really didn't have a chance.

In the end, the Investigators managed to seal six locations with the Doom Track at 9 (of 11).  Marie ended with 11 spells, 9 monster trophies, 3 gate trophies, an ally, Memberships to both the Sheldon Gang and the Twilight Lodge, and two skills.  Jim had a very good game, ending with five monster trophies and a gate trophy, the Local Guide, Psychic, Blessed, and three skills.  Mandy ended the adventure with five monster trophies and a gate trophy, 2 skills, and a Sheldon Gang Membership along with the aforementioned mental disorders.  Mark did well as he was Blessed and in possession of two monster trophies and a whopping four gate trophies.

In all, the game lasted 23 Mythos cards ~ four hours!

In the

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#2 Nun of your business

Nun of your business

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:03 AM

Marie ended the game with 11 spells? That's crazy talk!  Every time I read a session report from another player, I get tthe distinct feeling I'm Lovecrafting wrong. I totally need to up my game.

Also, I REALLY need to pick up the Dunwich expansion. It sounds like it'd be fun, from what I've read up on it.

Thanks for sharing the session, Professor! Here's to a hundred more games in your new place, and the majority of those played with Crafthulhu accoutrement.

#3 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

Believe me, I was equally surprised…but as she pulled another spell each time she used her Special Ability and she seemed to capture a spell with every other encounter.  She's a great Investigator!

Thanks for your well-wishes!

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS