Rules update/New Rules

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Super LoFi

Super LoFi

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

I am fairly new to the FFG community.   I am playing X WING  at the moment and I am enjoying it a lot.  My question is: do you guys think FFG will have an update for positioning?  Like shooting into the rear or side of a ship?  This is the only thing that sort of bothers me about the game…

Thanks in advance

#2 Harleequin

Harleequin

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Well no one can really say, personally I don't believe they will come up with rule changes, but they have announced that with the new ships there will be rules added, probably only affecting those ships and how they're operated. I don't think they will just add rules to the existing gameplay however without having any direct correlation to new actions or new ships.

#3 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

I dont think positioning/flanking is a big factor in this game. The ships without shields have the same armor all the way around, and shields work likewise.

The only adjustment I could see would maybe give the Rebels an Action that allows them to adjust shields 'full front' or 'full rear', adding one shield marker to that aspect and removing it from the opposite (there is precedent for this in the movies). May over-complicate things though.

#4 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:36 AM

I honestly can't see FFG making such a radical change to the game.  The rules are really simple to play as the game stands, with all the information you need to know right there on the pilot/upgrade cards and ship tokens.  In fact, the only "rule" I can think of that's not somehow represented on the board is the +1 attack die/+1 defense die bonuses for range.

If you toss in extra bonuses to hit/damage based on angle of attack, it's one more thing you need to do every turn, and then you have to argue about which facing of the ship is mostly in your fire arc for damage purposes, etc.

In a "realistic" sense, I don't see much difference in an X-Wing blowing apart a TIE Fighter in one round, regardless of which way its facing.  Sure, the profile of the TIE is huge vs the TIE Advanced, so from the side, it should technically be easier to hit, but the values for Agility, etc are abstracts for the purposes of the dice pool, so you could interpret it in a number of ways.

I think the "critical hit" cards add enough extra "realism" to the ongoing battle to keep it interesting, we don't need to go adding more rules to the basic mechanics of the game.  I've had a great response from first-timers who loved how simple the game was to pick up, despite the intimidating look of it, with the various tokens and cards, etc.

#5 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

I wonder if the maneuver templates will be updated to be specific to a type of ship.  I have always thought that a TIE could turn tighter than an X-Wing, and that an X-Wing could turn tighter than a Y-Wing…

#6 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

The game is an ABSTRACTION. Not a simulation.

Maneuvering was designed to make each ship feel different.  The Y-Wing is slow and sluggish, the X-Wing has lots of movement variety, and the tie fighters can do very nimble turns and fly at higher top speeds.

Its a great design, and the game system is simple and elegant.  Why change it?

#7 tiepilot1138

tiepilot1138

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:54 AM

bsmith13 said:

I wonder if the maneuver templates will be updated to be specific to a type of ship.  I have always thought that a TIE could turn tighter than an X-Wing, and that an X-Wing could turn tighter than a Y-Wing…

The Tie CAN turn tighter than an X-Wing.  If you compare the two dials, you'll see that the Tie can do a sharp "1" turn, where the X-Wing cannot.  Also, many of the tighter turns are green for the Tie, but not for the X-Wing.

#8 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:03 AM

I think on the Falcon, having front/rear shields would be pretty rad. Especially if you had some sort of upgrade that would allow you to swap them maybe as an action.

For example, let's say the Falcon starts with two front and two rear shield tokens. The falcon has lost both the rear shields due to damage. If a TIE was on your rear, you could use an action to transfer one or both of your front shields to your rear to protect you from taking hull damage if the TIE hits you.

Obviously details of this would have to be worked out but I think it could be cool.

Be seeing you.

#9 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

magadizer said:

I think on the Falcon, having front/rear shields would be pretty rad. Especially if you had some sort of upgrade that would allow you to swap them maybe as an action.

For example, let's say the Falcon starts with two front and two rear shield tokens. The falcon has lost both the rear shields due to damage. If a TIE was on your rear, you could use an action to transfer one or both of your front shields to your rear to protect you from taking hull damage if the TIE hits you.

Obviously details of this would have to be worked out but I think it could be cool.

This could work as a handy upgrade card for the ship, rather than introducing a new action icon for the printed card.  I'm not a fan of new rules events each time an expansion comes out, as it makes it more bothersome for a newer player to keep it all in mind at once, where it would be just "one more thing" to know for a veteran player.

Having said that, while it's certainly thematic to have Chewie "angle the deflector shields", it's one more thing to potentially slow up the game, and the ship token would also need to have the front/back distinction printed on it, along with a note in the packaging about that rule addition.

It looks like there may be a copilot mechanic, and something to do with mines for Slave I, so we'll see how rulesy and ponderous it becomes.  I'm all for new stuff, but nothing that would upset the pace of the game, which is a breeze, so far.

#10 Super LoFi

Super LoFi

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

#11 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

That's what I was thinking of, an action on an upgrade card, rather than a new class of actions.

Surely the Falcon will have pretty much all the action options, right? It at least has to have Barrel roll, target lock, and focus, but evade seems to fit too.

Be seeing you.

#12 AlKusanagi

AlKusanagi

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

magadizer said:

That's what I was thinking of, an action on an upgrade card, rather than a new class of actions.

Surely the Falcon will have pretty much all the action options, right? It at least has to have Barrel roll, target lock, and focus, but evade seems to fit too.

It also may be pilot based. No one can make a YT dance like Han, so he'd have all the action options, where a standard freighter jockey might only have  a couple.

#13 fiddybucks

fiddybucks

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

looks like falcon will have just target lock and focus, but you can give expert handling for barrel rolls and it will have boost what ever that does…

#14 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

The Falcon base is 4x the size of the standard base, right?  Imagine that whale of a barrel roll!

#15 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

Ever see a little film called "The Empire Strikes Back"?

Be seeing you.

#16 Drakson

Drakson

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

I wonder how many different fighter ships will eventually be in this game. I have not read the books but I guess some of the fighters like the next TIE INTERCEPTOR must be from the books unless somehow my beady little eyes missed it in the films. Looks super sharp. I like the simple rules because that keeps the game moving fast like a good dogfight should.

I like epic boardgames, have all expansions to Arkham Horror for example and many other games but it sure was fun to open X-WING and play, only missed a rule or so. I got 2 core, 2 TIE, 1 TIE ADVANCED, 1 Y and 1 X. Looking forward to other expansions.

Just got Leviathans in today and although it will be fun the rules are quite a bit more. For example , six or more areas on all four sides to keep track of etc.

#17 Daveydavedave

Daveydavedave

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

I think Tie Interceptors are in Return of the Jedi.

Getting back to the thread topic:

I think the rules already include a simple yet efficient way of accounting for positioning.  It's all about firing arcs.  Keeping your enemy inside of them, and keeping your own ships out of them.  So maneuvering is really vastly more important than what upgrades and pilots you picked.

It could be cool to see a ship with shield toggling in a star wars game because it was a feature of the old x-wing pc games that we all know and love.  But I think this game has its own unique mechanics and you wont see them change drastically.  Probably the biggest evolutions to be introduced in subsequent releases will be new action cards (like this new "boosters" action on the falcon and A-Wing).

#18 juggler434

juggler434

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

Drakson said:

TIE INTERCEPTOR must be from the books unless somehow my beady little eyes missed it in the films. 

TIE interceptor is in the Battle of Endor in Return of the Jedi

#19 Nalydd

Nalydd

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

I wonder if any of these 'new rules' include unique ships/characters.  Anybody else notice the number tags for the MF is a single number (20 I think it is)?  Implying that you can only take one.  Also if Luke can be a named gunner on the MF, how could you also take him as a pilot in another ship?

#20 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

Drakson said:

I wonder how many different fighter ships will eventually be in this game. I have not read the books but I guess some of the fighters like the next TIE INTERCEPTOR must be from the books unless somehow my beady little eyes missed it in the films. Looks super sharp. I like the simple rules because that keeps the game moving fast like a good dogfight should.

I like epic boardgames, have all expansions to Arkham Horror for example and many other games but it sure was fun to open X-WING and play, only missed a rule or so. I got 2 core, 2 TIE, 1 TIE ADVANCED, 1 Y and 1 X. Looking forward to other expansions.

Just got Leviathans in today and although it will be fun the rules are quite a bit more. For example , six or more areas on all four sides to keep track of etc.

Drakson said:

Your beady little eyes have indeed missed the TIE Interceptor, which is all over the place in Return of the Jedi.  Most obviously is when Lando realizes that the attack on the Death Star II is indeed, a trap, and says "fighters, coming in" as he flies towards the Imperial Fleet.  There are a bunch of TIE Interceptors lighting up his canopy with green laser fire.

Every ship we know of so far, from the Core Set and both expansion waves, has appeared in the movies in some capacity.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS