Help fleshing out a session

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lucien Kallus

Lucien Kallus

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

Im currently working on a session that sees acolytes docking at Port Maw after a mission on a desert planet where they have been trying to find a wanted man.

They will also have their first (subtle and unknowing) introduction to a chaos artefact as I like to keep it fairly low key to begin with (we've done 3 missions over 7 sessions). One of the players has an adept character who belongs to a noble house. This house has rivals and I intend to have a small 'first encounter' with them in this 'mission/chapter'. Im trying to get some ideas for how it will all pan out and how to habitate the place with realistic events and characters, making it believable and fairly busy. The encounter however I see taking place somewhere slightly more remote with almost no one else around but the PCs and their adversaries from the rival house.

Here is what I have so far…

Port Maw Imperial World/port (Aodhan/Aranth focus)

• The large port of
• Dispute over some goods
• Battlefleet  docks at the port
• Mercenaries noticed by Minas’ character (scum)
• Mutants underground one can heal by touch another has set of eyes on the back of his head.
• Wanted criminal on the loose who stowed himself aboard a star ship.
• Reubens Bazaar Trader of exotic goods (ex-rogue trader) Lucius (large humanoid robot)
Someone tries to steal from the place after the acolytes have been in there for a little while. Reuben Blackrock calls out
‘Lucius, we appear to have someone who doesn’t want to pay…’
Out of an alcove a large form emerges approximately nine feet in height it turns towards the thief.

I found it on a planet in the Calixis Sector (Rogue Trader tells PCs)

Items/Gear available from Reubens (I want a few cool useful pieces but nothing too powerful)

Stasis Grenade: ‘You look like a man of more refined tastes. Here,..this is something that few ever get to see. I acquired this item when working with. He had paid me for the use of my ship to take him and three of his colleagues to Masali as they were on their way to a place called Ichar something or other, I was working a number of routes in the Ultima Segmentum at the time. Anyway, as he was about to leave for the planet’s surface he gave me this. Thanking me for my hospitality he placed it in my hand. He said that he knew how dangerous my work could be and told me that if I was ever in serious danger that it would come in useful. He nodded and turned, and with that he was gone. Never have had to use it, gave up the trading some time ago. I never will forget his face, he always looked so serious…..Gregor, that was his name. '

Weapons

• Lord Vellan’s ship ‘The Obsidian Dawn’ makes port. Although Lord Vellan IV himself is not on the ship though his nephew Erasmus Vellan is. Vellan is a rival house of (Aodhans character)

• Big gunfight in one of the boarding dock areas.
The enemy have an assassin a number of general warriors 8. There is also a gun servitor and a Tech Priest
• The House of Vellan has a rather dark past.  Legend has it that Lord Vellan II was taken by the extreme beauty of a young woman named Emmanuelle Tre’lail whom he had met whilst making a business deal with her father the Planetary Governor. She however was arranged to be married to a Lord Lucan Forant who had courted her for over a year. When news of this arrangement reached Vellan he was furious, and left the planet immediately, breaking his contract with the Governor. 
A number of months passed and the Governor, his whole family and many other nobles and citizens on the planet fell gravely ill. It was at this time that Vellan returned and told the Governor that he could help, but only his daughter. With a heavy heart the Governor knew he had no choice but to save his daughter from death and with a heavy heart let his daughter go. 

The House of Vellan has used rather subtle means in the past to secure trades and further its profitability. Members of the house and its employ adorn themselves with dark purple garb, the houses family colour, about their person. They also have strong ties to members of the Adeptus Mechanicus with a number of their ships and indeed equipment having a number of extensive modifications.  It is said that those who cross the House of Vellan are seldom heard of again, and a number of rival houses keep their distance.

Lord Monmus Vellan IV is the current ruling Lord, a sophisticated man with a short temper and a sharp mind he is instrument in the success of the Kethan Trade Route which passes through the Tempestus Segmentum and into Segmentum Pacificus through Jucha, Adrantis Five onto Hydraphur. A tall figure his sharp features…

Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

#2 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

The Port you are referring to is described as THE navy stronghold of the gothic sector. Based on this, I would assume that a fire fight in one of the bays or hangars would lead to an immediate response of the Port Security… Navy Armsmen going in, asking for a surrender only once.

I would suggest the following instead

[Death Skulls]
As soon as the rival nobles learn about the presence of the PC, they will feed an acquired pict into a trio of “Murder Skulls”; three servo-skulls programmed as dedicated assassins. These skulls will then start to search a given area for the target, signalling each other as soon as the target is found and after all of them are present, they attack. This would lead to a scene where you could ask for extended opposed skill tests (Awareness vs. Shadowing). As long as it is only one skull, I would give the lone skull a +20 (you normally do not look up & servo skulls are not to unheard of in space port). Afterwards, you would have a fight between your group and three skulls with HE-LasPistols. Of course, after a while the security will clamp down on this as well…but since the skull are not immediately traceable the rival noble is not risking to much…and your PC will know what this was all about

[Flesh & Throne]
In section/corridor that caters to the more base needs of the travellers. Right in the middle of the corridor a duo of scantly clad females tries to gather some coin with sultry and lustful dancing. Ask all PC who might possibly be attracted by the show for a Willpower test (and allow them to choose the difficulty themselves). If they loose the test they are at least a little distracted… which means that the Awareness test to notice the pick-pocket at work is -20 (otherwise: challenging).

[Port Leave]
The PC encounter a group of drunken Navy Armsmen on “Port Leave” (“Shore Leave” was just not possible). The armsmen, normally subjected to a harsh and regulated life in their cramped quarters, take the lack of supervision for all kind of rampant behaviour. The port security leaves them be and will only intervene if a drunken fight gets out of hand.
…and to avoid getting into such a fight, the PC should pass a test for Fellowship, Intimidation or Charm.

#3 Lucien Kallus

Lucien Kallus

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

Awesome stuff thanks Gregorius. The problem I have is I still want a 'firefight' between the rival house and the acolytes, the enclosed area with crates and barricades, railings and stairs just makes it too cool not to. This is why I chose a more 'out of the way' area, I think perhaps an area under maintenance or something that is restricted to others and mostly sealed off might be the ticket. It also means that the PCs will have no outside help, something that has saved them a few times before with Arbites, Enforcers and the like stepping in. Do you think that could work, maybe the rival house bribed someone to get there and do some illegal activity??

I will definitely be adding those other 3 things to the session though, you are a legend Gregorius.

#4 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

Lucien Kallus said:

I will definitely be adding those other 3 things to the session though, you are a legend Gregorius.

Thanks, but to much of a flattery. To be honest, 2 of the three are just the standard encounters of an everyday fantasy type that got a little 40k added to them.

@Firfights and bribery
I always, ALWAYS forget about the fact that space faring nobles ARE filthy rich. Of course they have the money to bribe the PortSec to look the other way for a couple of minutes as long as they plan their little ambush in a non-vital area.

But still, I would suggest to use "assassins" that are not easily traceable. I guess that such kind of thing would be dealt more harshly with if it happens in an imperial space port. At least, in a Port like Port Maw. In a place like "Port Warden" I could have imagine the sec not paying attention if bribed enough and if the damage to the facility isminimal. 

How about the docking bay of the craft of the PC? A group of assassins could have prepared an ambush, hiding with cameloine cloaks, opening up fire as the PC ready themselves to leaf. As "departure" must for sure be announced to the Port Administration AND the Administration can delay the "admission to leave" so that the assassins have a believable reason for a timed ambush. 
I would not include an AdMech, so,. These are a little to valuable/important to use them for a thing like this. If you really want to include weapons servitors…have them hide in crates that were brought in ….emerging (after activation by the assassin) durint the third round of combat. If they do not emerge all at once and from different positions…your players might get a little uncomfortable in regard to these crates :D

Do not overdue this, so, and perhaps keep it to close combat servitors. Heavy weapons in the cutter bay might be a little to much to the PortSec, no matter how much they were paid (THESE kind of things lead to investigations from higher above if nothing is every proven about the "how" and "why"). But two should already do the trick. One in round two, one in round three our for. Your players will start growing edgy…you could even lock the bulkhead behind them. Perhaps they would like to try to open it up again so they can retreat?

#5 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

[Colorite Scene: Marriage Market]
The following is a scene with no actual interaction for the PC and now relevance tot he adventure as such. It only serves as “adding the color of the grimdark 41st Millenium” to the mix.

The PC will move past a section that is occupied by large dance- and feasthalls (a common sight on ports since most ships allow selected parts of their crew a little time of “Port Leave”). This time, ALL of the three facilities (a dancehall, a feasthall and once being nothing else then one of the largest taverns the PC are likely to have ever seen) are bursting with people, a lot of them void-born. The PC might notice that the majority of them are “in their best age” (start of twenty to mid thirty). In fact, this is a “Marriage Market”. From time to time, the ship communities simply NEED fresh blood in the mix to avoid degenerating and so, those markets are arranged. While the selected parts of the crew mingle with each other it still is a highly official and formal affair. Both ships have send their “Blood Sages” as well: genealogist that are accompanied by large servitors carrying a multitude of data slates containing the detailed lineage of all of the crew present. The sages of both ships cross-check the lineages of likely couples, each eying for getting “healthy genes” and avoiding strains of mutations. The final sanction of a marriage and the total exchange of crew are with the Lord-Captains Emissary (or aides of the Seneschall or perhaps the Seneschall himself) who will indeed haggle over the affair as haggling over cattle. While some Captains have an eye on only sealing a marriage where the partners are at least a little interested into each other…it happens that the Blood Sages simply find a given combination to promising not to simply request the Emissary/Seneschall to ORDER the marriage.

(Such site notes in an adventure always help to build a little atmosphere…even if they have NOTHING to do with the mission)

#6 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

[Slave Auction] [Colorite]
Please take note: „Hostile Aquisitions“ (RT) established it that slavery is not against IMPERIAL law but against local law in some places. 

In a large central hall of the port, a slave auctions takes place. Rows of dozens of men and women secured with heavy chains sitting on the ground under the scrutiny of heavily armed Port Security, waiting till the next of them is lead to the raised platform and displayed by three man clad in black plastic jumpsuits, armed with shock staffs and pistols.
The men and women are ratings of a pirate vessel that was brought up by the Imperial Navy. While Piracy is punishable with death, sometimes the ratings of the low decks are given the benefit of doubt. But even in this cases they are “guilty by association” and the only mercy they receive is being sold as slaves to another vessel who is willing to refill the ranks of its ratings with such scum.

But even this mercy is brittle. This is the third and last time those people are auctioned. The PC will be witness to a woman (clearly voidborn and frail) standing on the platform, secured by two of the men with the third asking for bids. As none comes, the two holding them bring her down to the knees and the third steps behind her, quickly drawing the pistol from the already opened holster. With great routine the masked individual raises the weapon to the back of the head. A thud is heard as a steel bolt hammers through the back of the head. A little blood comes forth but the sprinkles are not seen on the black plastic of the gowns of the three dark figures. A servitor removes the body as the next slave is brought onto the auction block that although doubles as the spot of summary execution.

This is pure "colouring" as well. If you want, you could have a soon-to-be-starchration shout out that he knows secrets. If this is possible clue giver to your campaigns our just a desperate attempt to stay alive is up to you. If you want a little action, the remaining slaves could start a riot, throughing themselves at the guards as one men. The PC will not be in immediate danger but should leave the area quick as shots start to ring, more Armsmen rush in and attendees rush out. It should however NOT be a real danger to the PC.

#7 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

Before I go on with posting rather pointless scenes…what is the AIM of your group at the Port? Are they just killing time till their next vessel arrives or do they have some agenda/task?

[Religios Colorite] [By his light]
There is chapel room inside the station (perhaps the PC will have an arranged meeting there). The chapel is open to everyone and each given hour a group of four to seven Ministorum Initiates are present, singing a liturgy in high gothic. Atop of the chapel door and at the centre of the chapel ceiling is a golden glowglobe shining so brightly that it is painful to actually look at it.

These chapels are called “Beacons of Home”. It is a common believe among many voidfarers that souls lost in the warp MIGHT find their way back, searching for His Light on Terra. A soul might be confused and madden by the warp, so, and go for a different light instead.
The thrice-blessed glowglobes are meant to lure in wandering souls and the highgothic lyric is well known to many voidfareres and every of them knows the meaning: “Oh you dutiful soul, longing for the light, remember terra. Leave this light and journey to Him”.

People showing up for prayers for those lost in the warp are commong, the constant singing makes eavesdropping a little hard. People silently talking about lost comrades are common and allowed as well, as this is a place of grieve and hope. …and thereby a good point to arrange a quiet meeting.

#8 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

I have a question on the Adept rival family, will it be "planned" assault on him or "Oh my look who is here" attack.

If it was a "Guess who dropped by" assault, what you might get is a single "Pro" who is hired to take out the Adept.  Be it a Knife attacker or a "Gunslinger".

Will this be the 1st attack on him by his rivals?

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

#9 Lucien Kallus

Lucien Kallus

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:58 AM

Yes it will be the first time the character has 'met' his rivals but I can imagine they know of him and it will be a case of…'look what we have here..' . I think the idea I had for the shootout was teh Rival basically making ready for departure and upon seeing the acolyte snooping around (after gregorius' servo skulls) thinks that he is being 'taken care of' and the encounter that follows has a few armed menials finishing off disembarking procedures or something. With the noble safely aboard the ship he could send out an assasin/activaqte some kill servitors/something similar and makes a getaway whilst the acolytes fight. A kind of 'curses*shakes fist* moment.

#10 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

Hi Lucien,

what is the actual aim of your group at the port? Do they follow a mission? Or an agenda of their own?  Or just "killing time till our vessel shows up?

Constructing further happenings is easier if one knows what the PC might be doing and where they might end up

#11 Lucien Kallus

Lucien Kallus

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:00 AM

Hello Gregorius.

Basically it is a stopover between missions as such, a rest stop before they move on. They have been tracking a suspectdown to a hive where after they had 9 months off. they then all get called in to track down a lead on a desert planet. The port is on ther way back, and I wanted a bustling cosmopolitan slighlty restrictive area in contrast to the desert world theyll be visiting beforehand as well as being the first time the noble Adept 'faces' the rival family. The cool thing about it is none of the other players know about it……SURPRISE! The mission after will be featuring a jungle world. I very much like the change in setting/atmosphere/palette that the different places can give, I feel its very important as I slowly ease in darker elements.

Gregorius, if you wish I can send you a link to my dropbox file and you can view my campaign as a whole.

#12 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

Lucien Kallus said:

Yes it will be the first time the character has 'met' his rivals but I can imagine they know of him and it will be a case of…'look what we have here..' . I think the idea I had for the shootout was teh Rival basically making ready for departure and upon seeing the acolyte snooping around (after gregorius' servo skulls) thinks that he is being 'taken care of' and the encounter that follows has a few armed menials finishing off disembarking procedures or something. With the noble safely aboard the ship he could send out an assasin/activaqte some kill servitors/something similar and makes a getaway whilst the acolytes fight. A kind of 'curses*shakes fist* moment.

So if his rival finds out he here, he will have to "plan on the fly", a single hired killer or a small group, hired through middlemen who have no clue who hired him (them) to kill the adept or why.

use the stats for the Mercs from "Rejoice for you are true" and depending how much time they have to operate will depend on how they hunt the adept.  Remember they are not being hired to kill the rest of the players and depending on the party the adept might be able to be ambushed somewhere alone.  Also you might want to change their weapon loadout.  Because they will be trying to operate so they can hit and git before the Port Security Enforcers arrive.

single hitter (Sniper with Lasgun)

Small Team - Team leader (Bountyhunter profile), 2 Merc (but with Suppressed Creed 9's instead of Lasgun), 1 Merc (Sniper)  [Team would be overkill for 1 PC]

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

#13 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

Lucien Kallus said:

Hello Gregorius.

Basically it is a stopover between missions as such, a rest stop before they move on. (…) 

Gregorius, if you wish I can send you a link to my dropbox file and you can view my campaign as a whole.

Thanks for offering your notes, but currently I am little sparse on time due to my own projects…but if you do not expect any immediate feedback I will gladly gobble up any piece of Info you feel fine sharing with :)  

@The PC are just killing time
This makes it a little hard to come up with planned encounters since you cannot really predict where they will be going. What are the current PC and what do you think is their likely acitivity on the station? How many days will they stay there (approx)? Just a few days or about two weeks? 
To make things a little more interesting, you could provide them with "paid for logging" for about a week…but due to the nature of warp travell in general the vessel they wait for is not showing up…the cannot simply spend money to prolonge their stay since THIS lodgings have already been booked by another party…while this is not a real problem but more of an annoying thing to happen it does force the PC to interact with the Port Facilites. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS