Intellectual Missions?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lucien Kallus

Lucien Kallus

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

Anyone have any intellectual missions they came up with that are heavy on thought and low on action. Maybe lots of investigative stuff or a who dunnit type adventure?

#2 jabberwoky

jabberwoky

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:22 AM

I've run a few "intellectual" missions for Dark Heresy, but a word of warning: they're not for every group.  Simply put, some groups see investigation as boring, and want to get to the next battle.  Others will want to investigate for clues, but if they're unfamiliar with Warhammer lore, they may be very confused as to what they find.

In one campaign, the group was in the Fydae System, hunting after tech-heretic Magos Vathek.  However, Vathek had hidden himself, thus requiring the acolytes to find him by embedding themselves in the politics of Fydae, meaning they had to interact with the various factions.  These factions included pirates, Redemptionists, the Imperial Guard, the Adeptus Arbites, and the Cestelle Alliance.  Now, there were several combat encounters, including a fight in a meat-packing factory, as well as a desperate fight against a Renegade-house Navigator, but I ran it as a large investigation, with some small combat encounters for consequences for pissing certain characters off.

I had a good time running it, but if I had run it with my other group (who are just getting used to Dark Heresy), they would be very confused.  Know your group before getting cerebral with your players.

#3 Lucien Kallus

Lucien Kallus

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:27 AM

I know my group very well and have quite a lot of action orientated missions, and am now looking for some quite in depth investigative/intellectual missions.

#4 jabberwoky

jabberwoky

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

Are you looking for FFG-published adventures, or looking to make your own?

#5 Lucien Kallus

Lucien Kallus

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:38 AM

Looking for missions others have made. I know the FFG ones are pretty cool but my players have read a few.

#6 BrotherKane

BrotherKane

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:18 AM

I personally think these really have a place in the game.  Otherwise PCs like Adepts and Scum can really struggle to engage.  Most of the missions I have made from scratch are on the 'investigaty' side but I usually end up with some sort of fight - I mean you have to bring the badguy(s) in right?  If you are interested in more detail I could post some but not right now (I'm at work)!

#7 Lucien Kallus

Lucien Kallus

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:27 AM

All my missions have some kind of investigative stuff in them sometimes around 60% and then i tend to put some big action sequences in. The thing is I want to do something with no fighting but a sense of danger, so whether that be some kind of myrder mystery or whatever or maybe averting a disaster.

I was watching Harry Potter last night and rememered how much i love the old train in it, and riding in one similar as a young boy. I then got to thinking of Hercule Poirot and the Orient Express (the TV show, didnt read the book) and it felt really aesthetically pleasing and a distinguished break from alleyways, jungles, hives and deserts.

Definitely BrotherKane id like to see your ideas. My Campaign has a lot of missions in it, some fully fleshed out others less so, but I havent had any that are almost purely intellectual though I do have a few that are almost all action orientated.

#8 Saldre

Saldre

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

Same here- I am always love to see what other people are doing, and how they are doing it, so as to better improve myself.

In other news, for those types of missions, check out Call of Cthulhu- all of the One Shots there, and even campaigns, can easily be transferred to Dark Heresy and make for great investigations. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS