• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

I want to know how you use Boromir?

You use his ability to defend and then attack?

Amd in multi-player games do you use him?

Carlos José Matos

#2 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

Pretty much. I also tend to quest with him as well unless already engaged or about to engage 2+ enemies. Throw in Arwen for +1 def AND Sentinel and he's got you covered in multiplayer as well.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#3 oyvind

oyvind

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

OK, what did I miss? I've seen a lot of people talking about using Boromir for both defending and attacking. It's even been mentioned in the official articles here on this web site. Unless there's an errata I haven't seen or noticed, you can't use him for both, at least not in the same turn. So, again: What did I miss?

#4 ArachneJericho

ArachneJericho

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

oyvind said:

OK, what did I miss? I've seen a lot of people talking about using Boromir for both defending and attacking. It's even been mentioned in the official articles here on this web site. Unless there's an errata I haven't seen or noticed, you can't use him for both, at least not in the same turn. So, again: What did I miss?

Boromir has

Action: Raise your threat by 1 to ready Boromir.

#5 oyvind

oyvind

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

Boromir has

Action: Raise your threat by 1 to ready Boromir.

I know, but there's no "Action" window between defending and attacking. Meaning, if you decide to defend with Boromir, you cannot ready him until after all the fighting is done for the round. So how do you attack with him in the same round?

#6 oyvind

oyvind

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

It's just as frustrating with Gimli. It would be nice for him to be able to attack in the same round he got hit for three hit points. I know you would need other cards to ready him, but unless it's a response, you can't ready him until all the fighting is done.

#7 Angus Lee

Angus Lee

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

oyvind said:

I know, but there's no "Action" window between defending and attacking. Meaning, if you decide to defend with Boromir, you cannot ready him until after all the fighting is done for the round. So how do you attack with him in the same round?

Take a look at the timing chart at the end of the rulebook, the combat phase are all green except the "deal shadow cards" step, so you can take actions generally during this phase.  On pages 18 and 20, resolving enemy attacks and attacking enemies, "Players may play event cards and take
actions at the end of each step."  Therefore, you can take action, such as readying Boromir, after defending with him.

Once ... Always ...

My blog (in Simplified Chinese): http://blog.sina.com/b0ardgames

#8 oyvind

oyvind

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:33 AM

Angus Lee said:

Take a look at the timing chart at the end of the rulebook, the combat phase are all green except the "deal shadow cards" step, so you can take actions generally during this phase.  On pages 18 and 20, resolving enemy attacks and attacking enemies, "Players may play event cards and take
actions at the end of each step."  Therefore, you can take action, such as readying Boromir, after defending with him.

Thank you very much! I only read the rulebook once before I started playing, and never again. Thought it was pretty straight forward. Then, I obviously trusted the timing chart (without consulting it's "heading) too literally, only letting us play actions whenever the timing chart said so. No wonder we're unable to finish any quests except the first one… :)

#9 Angus Lee

Angus Lee

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

You're welcome!  And welcome to the game! Wish you enjoy it.

Once ... Always ...

My blog (in Simplified Chinese): http://blog.sina.com/b0ardgames

#10 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:56 PM

You can even ready him to defend again…

Carlos José Matos

#11 oyvind

oyvind

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:32 AM

Angus Lee said:

You're welcome!  And welcome to the game! Wish you enjoy it.

I think I will, and thanks a lot!

#12 oyvind

oyvind

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:33 AM

CJMatos said:

You can even ready him to defend again…

That's very true. Thanks for the heads-up!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS