A New Hope

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bolfa Fluffbelly

Bolfa Fluffbelly

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

So the status has gone from 'at the printers' back to 'in development'.

So there's still hope. Hope that FFG actually makes the best Star Wars game they can.

#2 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

I wouldn't read too much into this. Their web guy probably just bumped it up to 'at the printers' too quickly and then fixed it when he updated the page today. I've seen that before.

It's not like there was a news announcement or anything like the last time.

#3 sinnerfold

sinnerfold

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:34 AM

Even if they spent another year developing this thing, there is going to be a portion of the population that is pissed off and thinks FFG is making a huge mistake. I personally didn't see anything wrong with the game as it was at GenCon 2012. Been playing Netrunner to kill time until SW launches.

#4 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:14 AM

For the sake of an argument, let's say it is being pulled back once again for revision. (Though I would find this highly surprising, after the extensive post-GenCon update on the game's mechanics such as the focus system, etc. This would have to have been an independent decision within FFG, not influenced by the game's reception at GenCon.)

If this is truly the case, in order to maintain credibility, the company would need to either have a finished product available for sale by next year's GenCon, or forego this game's showing altogether. I just can't see them demoing a new version of Star Wars: The Card Game for the third year in a row and expecting fans to take it seriously.

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#5 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:44 AM

Personally, I never take anything on the Upcoming page seriously. Before now, I have had games in my hands that still say they're at the printer/on the boat, and I live in the UK. 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#6 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

spalanzani said:

Personally, I never take anything on the Upcoming page seriously. Before now, I have had games in my hands that still say they're at the printer/on the boat, and I live in the UK. 

This. I check the upcoming page a LOT to keep tabs on upcoming games and adventure packs I'm planning to pick up. Many games are out before they say they're available and others get moved to 'on the boat' and then don't actually show up for sale for like 6-7 months. Overall it does a decent job of keeping us informed but it isn't without flaws.

#7 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

Has anything been confirmed or denied about this or is Fantasy Flight not paying attention to this nonsense?

#8 ChaosChild

ChaosChild

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

Even if "in development" is accurate, all it's likely to mean is there's been an issue at the printers that's required some more work to fix. Most likely a problem with the proofs for the cards, the rulebook or one of the other components.

#9 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

I've just been through to actually look at the upcoming page, because I thought it might help, and along with this game being labelled as "in development", there are also the Blood Bowl Team Manager expansion, Heirs of Numenor, all four ships for wave 2 of X-Wing, and the second Hobbit saga expansion all showing as "in development", but all have been promised for release before the end of the year, some of them quite a long time ago too. While FFG does appear to be famous more for missing deadlines than anything else at times, I really don't think the Upcoming page is all that relevant to the actual stage the game is at.

#10 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

spalanzani said:

I've just been through to actually look at the upcoming page, because I thought it might help, and along with this game being labelled as "in development", there are also the Blood Bowl Team Manager expansion, Heirs of Numenor, all four ships for wave 2 of X-Wing, and the second Hobbit saga expansion all showing as "in development", but all have been promised for release before the end of the year, some of them quite a long time ago too. While FFG does appear to be famous more for missing deadlines than anything else at times, I really don't think the Upcoming page is all that relevant to the actual stage the game is at.

When you look at the volume of big ticket product there, that's a pretty tight window for all of it to come by the end of the year.  I know they basically promised as much at Gen Con, but really; 2 boxes for Lord of the Rings, another wave of ships for X-Wing, AND the release of a long-awaited BRAND NEW game?! That's a lot of marketing hype going on at once for some many different things that all need their own time to shine.

I'm not going to be particularly shocked if I'm not tearing open a Falcon pack in February.  Sad, yes.  But not shocked.

#11 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:09 AM

cleardave said:

I'm not going to be particularly shocked if I'm not tearing open a Falcon pack in February.  

Same here, but got to keep the faith! The other thing that occurs to me is that games tend to jump around on that list without following the expected pattern, so it could go straight from "in development" to "on the boat", or even "in stores now".

I suppose the theme to take away from all of my posts on this subject is "don't pay attention to the upcoming page"!  

#12 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

A case in point: the Call of Cthulhu expansion Seekers of Knowledge is listed as on the boat, and yet it arrived in my hands yesterday. 

I just wanted to share this with everyone :P

#13 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

spalanzani said:

A case in point: the Call of Cthulhu expansion Seekers of Knowledge is listed as on the boat, and yet it arrived in my hands yesterday. 

I just wanted to share this with everyone :P

What's helpful, is that beyond waiting for Star Wars LCG, there's the X-Wing Wave 2 ships, the first expansion pack for Netrunner, and not one but TWO big boxes for Lord of the Rings, so whichever of those squeezes out of the FFG sphincter next, I will be there, ready to lap it up.

Wait…I think I need a new metaphor…

#14 Darksbane

Darksbane

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

It is back at the printers, I'd still say they could have this in our hands by december.

Cardgamedb.com - The source for Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Android: Netrunner, Lord of the Rings, Call of Cthulhu, and Warhammer: Invasion deckbuilders and spoilers. Now with 100% more FFG!

#15 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

What I would really like to see soon is a rules PDF. I need to know exactly how much of this game I like, and how much I don't like, so that I can decide here and now whether to set money aside for it.

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#16 Darksbane

Darksbane

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

generally rules are not released until a couple weeks before the actual product release.

Cardgamedb.com - The source for Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Android: Netrunner, Lord of the Rings, Call of Cthulhu, and Warhammer: Invasion deckbuilders and spoilers. Now with 100% more FFG!

#17 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

Darksbane said:

It is back at the printers, I'd still say they could have this in our hands by december.

This is good. There was a discussion over on the LotR boards about the lack of news for that game, which got me thinking how FFG have perhaps overstretched themselves with their Q4 announced releases. When this went back into development, the thought that they may fall short again did creep in, but hopefully everything is on schedule and it will indeed be here on time. I'm no marketing expert, but I'm not sure any further setbacks would do this game any favours at this late stage…

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS