Photo

Is brass just a bit of worthless accounting?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

OK, so you know I hate accounting in games right?  I'm starting to think that brass is exactly that.  3e took a completely complicated conversion system and "almost" fixed it, but they left this 25 brass to a silver idea.

In our campaigns, we don't even bother with brass.  If you could reasonably get it (such as in a city), you've got it in your hand (or can get it).  It seems the accounting just isn't worth it.

Btw, I pounded out some flat Zinc circles into flatness and painted them silver and gold.  They work great as props..but I just can't justify bothering with the brass ones (it would be a hugely annoying stack).

jh

#2 Captain Fluffy

Captain Fluffy

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:59 AM

I try and keep it so that brass is all the characters ever see!  If they only have enough brass to keep themselves fed for the next day or two it make motivation easy!

Give me more fluff and less rules

Hear me on the Tabletop Chronicles Podcast
https://itunes.apple...ast/id670638100

#3 Daedalum

Daedalum

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

Cool coinage jh, could you describe how you created then in a little more detail?

#4 Crazy Aido

Crazy Aido

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

You let your players have more than a few brass pennies? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU????

#5 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:27 AM

Daedalum said:

Cool coinage jh, could you describe how you created then in a little more detail?

Ok, to appease the Scrooge-GMs, I made some brass bits (copper/zinc).  Here's the process for all of them:  1) get some zinc round flat circles. They typically have faces or symbols on them by some country that isn't The Holy Sigmarite Empire.  They  can be gotten out from under couch seats and lint-filled pockets in most countries and seem to be mixed in with other metal flat circles that actually have value.  

2) smash them to oblivion on an anvil with a hammer.  Use a brick hammer or the claw portion of the hammer to put grooves in them.   I don't have an anvil so I pound them on the sledge (as my anvil).  If you want to spend a lot of money you can purchase a "Penny Smasher."   It takes about 15 hits per coin and you will wreck your muscles and tendons unless you are a blacksmith or take your time.

3) Paint them silver or gold.  If you're starting with copper-colored zinc to begin with, I just dirty them up. At the bottom you can see that I used "chrome" paint (cost me $3.99 u.s. at Ace hardware..and doubles for my overnight forays into the city to paint "For the Empire!!!" on dumpsters everwhere ;)

For the silver-painted ones, I dirty them up with a black-paint rinse.  The gold ones, I leave clean.

The "brass/copper" coins should be dirtied up as remember the tier that uses them.  I mixed green, brown and black paint into the grooves and mark them with a 5 (there's no point in having any other value on a brass because of conversion and the fact that nothing costs a variable amount (slings and clothes should simply be changed to 5b and 15b accordingly).

I also stuck the hint of green paint on them for two other reasons:  1) NURGLE/dirty/disease…I mean, I made the coins below look absolutely filthy and disgusting, even putting some "blood red" onto a few of them  2)  they give it a copper-like patina.  Sorry, I couldn't get a better close up, but take my word for it, you wouldn't want to throw the barkeep one of these and then have a pie with their content still on your hands.

For the 5 value golds, I smashed up some non-Sigmarite Empire quarters and painted them silver.  My artwork on them is crap, but it's passable for their purpose.  I thought about making a woodcut ink-stamp, but ..that might go a little far.

Here are some pictures of the new brass/copper coins mixed in with the silver and gold for contrast.  Like I said, denominations of 5 for these works best to keep the count down.  Silvers are in the form of 1's and 10's.  Gold I did in 1's and 5's (who's ever going to get a 5..laugh!)

#6 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:44 AM

So, here's the funny part about all this:  WFRP3 simply has a lot of bits and bits and bits, so I jokingly said we could add some more.  We've added those coins above and Fortune Point Cards (with the rules on them).

jh

#7 Daedalum

Daedalum

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

Wfrp3 Now with coinpress!!

Cool Write up, hope your players appreciate your efforts. 

#8 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

Daedalum said:

Cool Write up, hope your players appreciate your efforts.

Oh absolutely we do! :)

And for all those miserly GMs scoffing at Emirikol's monetary liberality, don't worry. Every precious silver gained during play is still not enough to pay apothecary or sanitarium fees! 

#9 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

Keep in mind that most Brass tier folks only have brass, and a lot of silver tier folks will use quite a bit of brass as well.

Which means many village and town folks will only be able to pay the PCs either with goods/services, or brass.

Saving a village from a marauding monster? The PCs will likely get paid in 1000 brass, rather than 40 silver.  Etc.

Then, if the PCs want to carry silver, they will need to find a bank or moneylender who can change the coins.

Of course, if the PCs only carry silver or gold, and change they are given will be in brass or silver.

#10 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

Yes, for sure.  I'm trying to minimize the use of brass in game as simply just a nuisance.  That's why I made the coins "5's."  I think in description in-game, I'll probably describe it as, "so, you just earned 7500 brass bits.  How do you want to carry that load?  Moneybags on the sides of your mule?  Great idea, the beggars and bandits are going to love that sound coming down the road!"

I guess I should weigh them :)

jh

#11 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

We got good use out of the coins last night while the members of the party were trying to heal up their disease.

..oh, and another character got killed off.  Squashed and clobbered by Fimir spiked morningstars in the Muddy Mule - Grimpengratz, Wastelands.

jh

~ this is what I want them to look like

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS